“Convenient and comfortable - don't eat at there” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #24 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
Hackettstown
“Convenient and comfortable - don't eat at there”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

This hotel was very close to the metro, so the convenience alone would cause me to book again while visiting Washington DC. We used the metro to visit DC and Old Town, where there is a free trolley to King Street, awesome!

The indoor pool was heated and clean and a big bonus!

The hotel was clean and safe, and I did not hear the traffic or other guests. The other guests included some school groups, but we were well enough away to only hear them in the lobby when were were leaving or coming back!

The staff was courteous and helpful for the most part. Here are the exceptions: As we arrived during the evening (11pm) after 5 hours in the car, the night desk clerk could have been a bit more courteuous and helpful. He said we didn't have a reservation and I had to pull out my Hotels.com printout while he scowled at me. Then when I asked about the location of the metro, he vaguely pointed at the front of the hotel and grunted.

After a long drive, the beds and pillows were a dream! Second night too, so I know that it was not just being overtired.

The restaurant is to be avoided. We waited about 15 minutes to be seated for breakfast. The restaurant was not full to capacity but slightly busy. We were seated, but no one came to take our order for 40 minutes. I tried making eye contact with various waitstaff and even calling out, but we were ignored, as the waitstaff for what I could see, wandered around aimlessly. The overworked hostess finally came to us and was suprised we didn't have our food, let alone hadn't had our order taken. She took our order. After that, a waiter came with bread - cold underdone toast - and told us it came with our meal. We got our drinks, minus a water, and it took about 10 minutes more after that to get water. By the time we got our food, the restaurant had almost cleared out, except for the line waiting to be seated. The hostess was trying to clear tables, get orders and placate other diners as, again, the waitstaff seemed to be hiding or wandering around. After more than an hour to get some eggs and bacon - which was very good, by the way - we were given 25% off our meal, comped our drinks and kids meal. The hostess was apologetic and courteous.

I always give someone a second chance. We headed down for breakfast the next morning (with an alternate in mind just in case). There was a line to be seated and we were told that the wait to be seated would be 10 minutes. There were two tables seated, the rest empty. Another family in line told us they had already been there 10 minutes and were told they needed to clean tables. Once again the hostess was hurring around, clearing and wiping down tables while I observed the same waitstaff wandering around. We decided to go with our alternate and left.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel to stay if you are visiting Washington DC and the surrounding area. There are places to eat right across the street, which I would recommend visiting. They would be well advised to take a look at the running of the restaurant because it would have greatly enhanced our stay if it was run properly.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Norfolk
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

This hotel had several things I like all in one place....indoor pool (but no jacuzzi, darn it), rooms with microwaves and fridges (hard to find in some business hotels), a bar, and a restaurant, room service, airport shuttle, and it was pretty close to most of DC. (I'd planned to go to Raleigh and I couldn't find any hotels with an indoor pool, fridge and microwave, how weird is that?) It also had great access to the metro and was near that pretty little area called Carlysle for a nice walkabout.

ALso on the upside, it had one of the best indoor hotel pools, with lifeguard, I've seen in awhile, twice as big as most, with an 8 ft deep end, and water temp was great.

On the downside, the restaurant organization could use some work. That was their real weak point. The staff all was working hard but service was chaotic and orders were wrong. I sort of thought I was in Fawlty Towers for meals. It was a little better off-peak hours, thank heavens, but that really needs work.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Alexandria SW Eisenhower Ave, responded to this review, May 13, 2012
Dear sedonalass,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I do apologize for any inconvenience that you have experienced. I was disappointed to read that you had a poor service experience when you visited the restaurant, we will review for possible modifications so to better accommodate our guest in the future. I was pleased to hear the rest of your stay was great and you did enjoy our great pool area. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. Thank you for staying with us, and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Brenda J.
IHGCare
forest hills
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2012

This hotel turned out to be better than expected. First, the room we were given was updated and clean, with comfortable beds. The bathroom was a little on the small side, but had great water pressure and lots of thick, fluffy towels. The indoor pool was heated, and was a wonderful way for our two young kids to relax after a day of sightseeing in D.C. Finally, the location of this hotel can't be beat. The hotel is literally a stone's throw from the metro, which takes you into D.C. proper in under 15 minutes. And across from the metro station is a Starbucks, a movie theater, and wonderful restaurants (highly recommend Yves' Bistro for classic French fare and Galaie Thai for Thai food and sushi). Overall, a great stay.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

Read the reviews of this hotel before booking this hotel. There were three reasons for choosing this hotel: close to a metro station (3 min walk), a rate lower than the standard government rate and nicely updated property. I was unable to check in before noon, but got a parking permit before heading to a meeting. Once I checked in, I was surprised to get a suite (two baths and a huge living area). I was able to sleep well despite the constant noises from the beltway (I-95) nearby. The breakfast was tasty. There is nothing to complain about this hotel. But there are many nicer properties to choose in the area, especially, the quieter ones.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Ann Arbor, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

We recently spent two nights here with our children, ages 6 & 8. The rooms were clean and updated and the indoor pool was much nicer than we expected. It is only open from 3-9pm but there is a lifeguard on duty. The location was great as it's an easy walk to the metro and then DC is at your fingertips. Old Town Alexandria, great shopping and restaurants are also near by. We were not bothered by excess highway noise at all. For the price and location we will definitely return.

Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Bradley Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2012 via mobile

What a pleasant surprise. On our way home to NJ a visit down south we stopped here for the night. Very courteous staff, clean h otel, beautiful room and right near the Metro and a number of great restaurants. Will definitely return

• Stayed January 2012
MANAUS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2011

The best hotel in Alexandria. Mr MArcus General manager at the time did a great job.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn Alexandria SW Eisenhower Ave? Share your experiences!