“Location, location, location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #23 of 49 Hotels in Alexandria
Seattle, WA
“Location, location, location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2011

I travel to the DC area about once a year, usually for business and usually to attend events at the Washington Convention Center. Hotel costs in the DC area are so expensive I always seek to stay outside of the core to reduce costs. After staying out on most arms of Metro before, this time I sought the Yellow line because it stops at the convention center.

Based on a good price, what I could glean from Google maps, and (of course) reviews here, I chose this hotel for my 7-day stay.

This hotel could not be easier to get to the Metro. It is about a block away on the same side of Eisenhower. Good sidewalks, no drama.

Across Eisenhower has a number of restaurants (the Mexican restaurant right next to the AMC Theater doors is the cheapest). I would avoid the in-hotel restaurant for anything other than a convenient breakfast. The food is mediocre and they won't charge it to your hotel room despite their system clearly being able to handle that. Service is iffy, too. Maybe the impending closure and remodel of the restaurant will help that.

The hotel is currently being remodeled, but there isn't much impact to guests I saw.

The hotel is dated, but not in a way business travelers will care about. The rooms are clean, closet space and hangers are plentiful, and the noise from the adjacent freeway is manageable. I was given a room right next to the elevator -- which is usually a sign of disaster for a light sleeper like me -- but I never heard the elevator. Climate controls worked well. Bed was soft, but comfortable enough not to interfere with sleep. Wireless was at the low end of acceptable. I had to use some tricks to get access to really big pages, but I was able to accomplish all of my work with no major dramas.

The shower was.... interesting. I'm 5'11" and could put my palms on the ceiling of the shower without fully extending my body. It made for some awkward contortions for me, so anyone who is tall should keep this in mind. As with other DC hotels I've stayed in, this one had a slow drain so the shower water was around my ankles the entire time. I don't consider this a reason not to stay here, just a note that very tall folks might want to prepare themselves for.

They have a shuttle that runs 24 hours to DCA, so if you come in late don't bother with taking Metro to get to the hotel your first night. The hotel hosts airline people from many airlines, which is a good indicator of a baseline quality of service.

I will stay at this hotel on all my future trips to DC. Ease of access to the Metro, and therefore everything else in the area, is the huge draw. Combined with the relatively good rate and acceptability of the property itself make that decision a no brainer for me.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2011

My hotel stay was wonderful! They picked me up from the airport. I did not wait long at all. Check-in took less than 5 minutes. My room clean and the restoom was well-stocked. The beds were extremely comfortable. They had firm pillows and soft pillows. They have a lounge area that serves lunch and dinner until very late. They have a great breakfast buffet for a low price. They have a shutle that picks you up from the airport and they took me anywhere within a 4 mile radius and even picked me up. They even took me to my bank and then took me where I wanted to go. They were great! I highly recommend this hotel! I can go on and on!

Room Tip: Become a Priority Club Member.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2011

Not bad for an online price. Older hotel. Great Bed! Good night sleep. Breakfast was good, a little pricey at 9.95 buffet. Walking distance from the subway. Have a drink somewhere else, Bar tender had to look up a drink. Hot water pipes on fifth woke me up pinging one morning. unexpectedly!

• Stayed May 2011
Erie, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2011

My friends & I decided on a trip to Washington, D.C. during the busy April season. I checked on prices for many different hotels in the Virginia area as well as Washington, DC & they were all really pricey this time of the year We settled on this hotel because of the price & the fact that it was only about a block from the Metro station.

The hotel is about a 20 min metro ride into downtown D.C., but it really wasn't too bad of a ride. We vacationed Friday through Tuesday because the rates were cheaper & it was less crowded during that time.

I was pleasantly surprised with the hotel. I had read previous reviews saying that the hotel was recently updated & I could tell that the carpet & paint job was fairly new. The reviews online were mixed. Personally, I thought that the staff were always courteous & helpful. I was given a courtesy bag with a bottle of water & some granola bars upon check-in. The beds were really comfortable....seemed like brand new pillow top beds. They even had "hard" or "soft" pillow choices on each bed & each person had 2 pilllows a piece. There was also a small table & chairs, a desk & rolling chair, a small refrigerator & a microwave, coffee pot, iron & ironing board in the cupboard & hair dryer in the bathroom. The bathroom was average, but they supplied us with enough towels for 4 people without having to ask.

The location was a nice location on a main street. I really liked that there was a brand new movie theater a block away with an IMAX theater inside too. There was also a small plaza (if you would call it that) with several restaurants in it. There was a Starbucks, Coldstone Creamery & Gallae Thai. There was also a place that served wraps & a steak house of some sort. I think the movie theater even had a Ruby Tuesday's inside. It was great after an exhausting day in DC to grab a bite to eat right by the hotel.

I would recommend the Gallae Thai restaurant to anyone who stays at this hotel. The food was AMAZING!!!! They had your typical thai faire.....noodles, rice, veggies & different meats or seafoods. Really fresh ingredients. I'm not into hot food & you can choose dishes like the pad thai that is not hot or spicy at all. The prices for dinner were average for a thai restaurant.....$8.00 on up for dinner.

The hotel also did have an indoor pool, but we were so exhausted by the time we got back to the hotel that we didn't have any time to enjoy it.

All in all, I really enjoyed this hotel & would recommend it to anyone. The price is good, the location is good, the metro is in walking distance, & the service is good. And, the parking is FREE!!!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2011

We chose this hotel based on it's price (very good compared with other hotels in the area or closer to DC) and the fact that it is just 1 1/2 blocks from a metro station (yellow line) - a MUST if you plan on visiting DC. It took us only 20 mins to get to DC on the metro - no transferring (unless you visit Arlington Cemetary). Area across from the metro had an IMAX theater, Starbucks, Cold Stone Creamery, an excellent Thai restaurant, a steakhouse, and a place to buy wraps. We felt safe walking around the area (as late as 11pm). We did spend most of our time in DC - leaving the hotel by 8am and not coming back until after 9pm - so this hotel worked for us.

The hotel rooms were clean, quiet (even though it is off a freeway), with comfy beds/pillows, a small frige & microwave, and decent water pressure for showers. Parking was free! TV reception on a few channels was a bit fuzzy but we didn't spend much time watching TV so that was fine. Business center available but must stop at desk in order to get sign in code - had trouble with wireless internet connecting to our Zune. The only thing I wish the room had was a safe... that's my only complaint about the hotel. There is a pool (open 3-9pm) that looked nice but we were never there early enough to use it. There is also a bar (restaurant?). Breakfast buffet available for a price (didn't eat there).

This is a no-frills older hotel that's being refurnished and I would recommend it to those that are looking for a lower-cost hotel close to a metro station. It's not a 5 star hotel so don't expect more than the basics. Great for people who plan to spend more time in DC and not in the hotel.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
West Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2011

This is an older Holiday Inn but we found it clean and well maintained. The location is excellent. The Eisenhower Ave. Metro station is within walking distance and a 19 minute ride to the L'Enfant Plaza station in DC on the Yellow Line. There are good restaurants and a movie theater also within walking distance. We had the buffet breakfast in the hotel restaurant which was very good for about $10 each. Parking was free at this hotel. We would definitely choose this hotel when we return to this area.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Stafford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2010

Shame about the road works surrounding the hotel making it difficult to get to even when you can see it! Must be suffering accordingly.
Good for local Reagan Airport as they have a shuttle whose driver is very obliging and helpful.
Expect mainly business people using this hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Holiday Inn Alexandria SW Eisenhower Ave? Share your experiences!