“Very Nice Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
Belcamp, Maryland
“Very Nice Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

I stayed here for 2 week nights for a business trip. The Hotel was very clean and the front desk personnel were very friendly. The rooms were standard size rooms with a king size bed, desk, flat screen tv, and couch. It was very clean and the bathroom was a little small but had marble countertop (nice). There was a coffee pot/coffee in the bathroom but they had a coffee bar downstairs. I did not see any cookies other reviewers said they had. The breakfast was adequate but maybe it is not as grand during the week? The eggs with velveta cheese folded in did not equal an omlet to me. It was not good at all!

One experiene that was surprising was that I had left the hotel to go to a conference and returned early because I was sleepy. It was around 10:00 and the room had already been cleaned. I layed down and there was a tap tap at the door. I got up and there was a supervisor that was coming behind the staff to make sure the rooms were cleaned correctly. She asked if my room was cleaned and was everything in order. I thought that was nice to know that they make sure things are done correctly!!!!!! Oh by the way? The bed was very comfortable and there were 4 pillows on the bed. Each pillow was a different softness/hardness. A nice way to make sure you would be comfortable with at least one of them!!!!! They also had free wireless internet in all rooms. There was a Taco Bell, McDonalds, 7-11 and Wendys all in walking distance of the hotel.

Room Tip: Even though there is no restaurant at the hotel they do serve breakfast daily!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Columbus, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

I stayed at this location for four nights on business. I have stayed at many Hamton Inns but this was not what I am accustomed to. The property is well taken care of and clean and the breakfast was good. I didn't realize that the property did not have refrigerators and microwaves prior to checking in. I assumed they did because all of the other Hamptons I have stayed at have them. I called the front desk to see if I could get a refrigerator and microwave. I was told they would check with maintenance and if they had them available, they would have them brought to my room. I waited approximately 2 hours and did not receive a return call or the items so I called back. I did receive a refrigerator but no microwave which was okay but no explanation or mention of it was made. I also had to have a debate with one of the front desk staff regarding Hilton Honors membership level and a bottle of water. On day three of my stay I received a call during the day from the hotel while I was at a site working. I called back because I thought something was wrong and found that although my do not disturb sign was in my door, they wanted me to allow the contractors that were hanging new draperies into my room. I explained that I was not comfortable with that. When I arrived at the hotel at the end of my workday, I found that there were draperies and hardware up against the wall outside of my room. I entered the room and approximately five minutes after getting there, the phone in the room rang three separate times (which I did not answer) and then my cell phone rang. I answered and again, they wanted to have the draperies installed. Even though I explained that I had worked all day and needed to continue working and getting reports ready for my last business day, they basically insisted on having the draperies installed. I was checking out the following morning and the room would be vacant but that apparently was not the answer they wanted since the contractors were leaving the next day. I'm not sure why the maintenance man couldn't have installed the draperies in the room since I was told that this was the only room that needed to be completed. I was very dissatisfied with this stay. I did speak with the Manager who was apologetic and was going to speak with the staff regarding the issues and offered some resolution which I did not feel was sufficient. I will probably not stay at this location if I am in the area again. First impressions mean a lot.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dorene S, General Manager at Hampton Inn Alexandria/Pentagon South, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
We are very sorry we were not able to provide you with a better quality of service. This is not typical of our usual Hamptonality and welcoming staff, and we are always looking for ways to improve our customer experience. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we are all about Satisfaction Guaranteed and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a great stay. Again, we apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced. Thank you for your feedback and we hope you will reconsider and stay with us again so we may show you how committed we are to your satisfaction.
Alnwick, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

Best hotel of our holiday. Got a nice warm welcome after our long journey from the UK. Parking is free and plentiful. They took into account our request for a quiet room, we were right at the end of a corridor, well away from lifts and ice machines. Room safe is always a bonus and nice fresh sheets and duvet. Always plenty of coffee and hot water for tea or hot chocolate, and freshly baked cookies (we didn’t tend to find this at the other Hampton’s). Breakfast had plenty of choice, although the small area got quite crowded some mornings. I'm not a huge fan of the plastic plates and cutlery but hey, you're getting a complimentary breakfast! The shuttle bus was great for us, we used it every morning around 8:30 to go to the metro stop, drivers were always cheerful and nothing was a problem, and they were always waiting on time to take us back to the hotel.
It was nice to also get the shuttle down into Alexandria Old Town and have a stroll down to the harbour. There are fast food places nearby and also a 7-11 if you need groceries or a couple of beers.
I would definitely recommend this Hampton and if we ever go back to DC we will be using it again.

williamssport
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

I booked a room on Kayak.com for Oct 20. Kayak mistakenly booked the room for 27OCT.
Arrived at hotel on Oct 20 and hotel was booked solid. Hotel informed me they couldnt issue a refund I had to contact Kayak for a refund. Called Kayak and they said they could not issue a refund because the hotel has a no refund policy and would not refund them!

DONT BOOK rooms at this hotel!! You could book a room and show up to no vacancy and no refund!

Ended up at the Candlewood Inn next door and the rooms are much nicer anyway and the staff are much kinder!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dorene S, General Manager at Hampton Inn Alexandria/Pentagon South, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. We are very sorry for your inconveniences. Your comments will help us to improve our policies and better serve our guests in the future. We are more than willing to assist you with this in any way that we can, however when booking through a third party, we have limited control of their booking and refund process. Please contact me to discuss this furher. I hope that you will consider staying at out hotel if you return to the area.
Munich, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

What a lovely hotel!
We stayed here for three nights to visit Alexandria and of course Washington D.C.
The room was clean and cozy, was equipped with a safe, bath-tub and all the regular Hampton stuff like free wireless LAN, the ingenious lap desk and fresh duvets and sheets. The hotel offered a perfect complimentary breakfast in a very nice breakfast area, free coffee and tea and free cookies all day long.
It was very quiet outside, parking was free of charge and the staff helpful and friendly. By car you can reach Washington and downtown Alexandria in approximately 20 minutes, which makes it a good starting point of every trip. We should also mention that there are many shops and restaurants nearby like t.g.i fridays, a Taco Bell, Wendys or a Seven Eleven.

Anytime again!

Room Tip: Further away from the street the rooms are very quiet.
pa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

We only spent Sunday night here, arrived around 10:00 Sunday morning and we were able to park our car and use the hotel shuttle for both days while touring D.C. The shuttle service is nice, about 10 minutes or so from the hotel to King Street. What we would have spent on 2 days for parking elsewhere, we used towards the Metro getting around D.C. Good breakfast, comfy and clean room. Hotel staff was very nice and accommodating as well. Only drawback was we wanted to be on the road by 3:00 due to traffic and the shuttle service doesn't start back up til 3:00 and we didn't get picked up til 3:15, didn't leave metro station until 3:35 and with traffic didn't get back on the road til 4:00. I would suggest taking a taxi back to the hotel from the King Street Metro ONLY if you are in a hurry to try and beat some of the traffic on 495 to 270 instead of waiting for the shuttle in the late afternoon.

Vienna, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

It sets the standard for Hampton Inn. I stayed there three times during the past month or so, and enjoyed it every time.

During my first stay, it was a bit noisy since my room was facing the Leesburg Pike. I requested a quiet room and they immediately switched me to a room on the back side. It was quiet, freshly clean, and comfortable.

The breakfast was almost gourmet. The oatmeal was delicious. There was plenty of good hot food such as sausage and eggs. It was a lot more than a continental breakfast. Also the juice was fresh.

During my most recent stay, I hear loud TV from next-door at night. The front-desk immediately called the next-door to turn it down. They prompt and effective in handling matters.

Overall, it was quiet, clean, and comfortable. The rate was reasonable as well!

Room Tip: If you don't like the noise from Leesburg Pike, ask for a quiet room on the back side.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alexandria
Homewood Suites Alexandria
#1 of 50 in Alexandria
4.5 of 5 stars 436 reviews
Lorien Hotel and Spa, a Kimpton Hotel
Embassy Suites by Hilton Alexandria-Old Town
Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel

Been to Hampton Inn Alexandria/Pentagon South? Share your experiences!