“For a family with a car, perhaps the cheapest satisfying DC-area hotel you'll find” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Travelodge Alexandria

Save Saved
You added Travelodge Alexandria to your Saves list
Travelodge Alexandria
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   700 N Washington St., Washington St & Wythe St, Alexandria, VA 22314   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan Ahead & Save 15%
Ranked #39 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
Peachtree City, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here 3 nights last week. Let's shake it on down:

GOOD:
- about as cheap as a hotel gets if (a) you want to go to DC and your per-person rate makes hostels pricey (b) you don't mind taking 30 minutes to get into the city (10-15m walking +15-20m Metro ride) (c) you have a car to deal with
- despite some reviews stating otherwise, I found the layout (old 2-story brick motel) charming. The area is called Old Town, y'know!
- contrary to a review I read, we did have a fridge which we put to good use
- staff was very friendly. After checking out, I realized I left something in my room. I called the front desk, and the manager left immediately to retrieve my item and called me to confirm it would be waiting for me.
- Alexandria is a nice area to see, and if you want to visit Mount Vernon it's just a 20-minute scenic drive away.

UNGOOD:
- wifi just didn't work. I could connect no problem, but I was not able to send or receive anything unless I turned it off
- breakfast was mostly drab - packaged honey buns, mini bagels, and 2 cereals (though I do give them credit for having Honey Bunches Of Oats)
- there was no way to make a bath (though I only had success with 1 of 4 budget hotels on this trip, so maybe this is a trend)

In the end, the GOOD outweighed the UNGOOD and I'm happy I chose this place. If I come back to the area as a family and with a car, I'll strongly consider this place.

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Sitka
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

I will not be staying here again.
as soon as I walked into the room, I saw a room key on the floor under the table. At one point the smoke detector was replaced, but they left the broken one in the dresser. and on the last night, the bathroom sink would not drain.
when I checked out, I had to push the front desk bell twice.
Only positive thing was it is within walking distance from the Metro Rail

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

Cantonment
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

First impression was not good. The parking lot made me very uneasy because it didnt feel safe. Had we seen it in person and not had reservations, there is no way we would have stayed there. Hotel only had a few guests and that made us wonder if there was something wrong with this hotel and we were not aware. Walk to the metro was ok during the day but I would not walk it at night or alone. No elevator which made getting our luggage to the 2nd floor very difficult.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

Rafat M, Manager at Travelodge Alexandria, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
The motel is located in Old Town Alexandria and all parking lots are of the main Washington street. The occupanccy for the month of June was 73% and for first 15 days of July is 68%. The metro station is only 7 blocks. The demographic of the area has since changed and there has never been an incident where our guest was involoved. However there is a Dash bus service which runs from a block away ( Pendelton Street ) on regular intervals and is a 2 minutes ride to metro station.
Alexandria, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

This may be the cheapest place in town, but I would definitely suggest staying away from this one. I'm not that picky (I just wanted a reasonably clean room for a few nights). The room was pretty disgusting and I had to leave in the middle of the night because I had a fairly severe allergic reaction to the room (I'm allergic to several types of mold). I ended up at the Red Roof Inn, which is about 15-20 dollars more, but the rooms have been recently repainted and are carpet free.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Rafat M, Manager at Travelodge Alexandria, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Sorry to hear about your views. We have only 5 rooms out of 40 rooms, which are smoking. The rooms and the hallway are regularly painted. The rooms are regularly checked and treated for any mold etc. The hotel is also inspected by the alexandria health department on regular basis before renewing the license every year. We would have appreciated if you informed front desk of the issue which could have been resolved, to make your stay comfortable.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

These pictures aren't accurate. This was the nastiest hotel I have ever stayed in, & it came recommended by a phone travel agent. We thought there were few hotels in the area, but we learned later, that wasn't the case, or we wouldn't have stayed at this roach motel. The carpet looked like it was the same since the 60s. Toilet seat was very old too. There was no elevator to the 2nd floor, so we had to take the stuffy, hot, smelly stairs & hallway. Man at the desk was nice, but he was behind bullet proof glass. Yes, it is only 7 blocks from the metro, but you have to walk through questionable areas. We paid $109, & it wasn't worth 10 bucks. It looked like a 60s hotel that hasn't been updated for 50 years. We returned to our room to find someone came in the door & turned our TV off even though we put the privacy sign on the door.

• Stayed July 2013
We are concerned to learn that you were not satisfied with our services and appologize. We try our best to make the stay of our customers as comfortable as possible and that is the reason that you will find our customers remarks are mostly possitive. Recently we have changed the mattresses, place new LCD tvs in the rooms with new bed skirts and blankets. We are only 2 story building and thus have no esclaters. We would have also appreciated if the front desk manager was informed about your observations so that he could have addressed them immediately.

Been to Travelodge Alexandria? Share your experiences!