“Superb!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #39 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
North Attleboro, MA
“Superb!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2008

During our entire trip in Virginia, this was the best of the 3 hotels we stayed at! It is quiet at night, and the room was very clean. I felt right at home. And the beds were more than comfortable. The bathroom was clean and there was plenty of hot water. There were only 2 issues:
1. Most of the staff could not speak English.
2. At the Continental Breakfast, there were teabags, but no hot water. We I asked a lady working there if there was any hot water, and she pointed to everything saying, "Here." I don't think she could speak English very well, either.

The TV picture was good, but HBO didn't work so I couldn't watch my John Adams.
There was a beautiful courtyard outside but it was raining the whole time, unfortunately.

But all in all, this hotel was superb and I recommend it to anyone staying in the Mt. Vernon area.

• Liked — Close to Mt. Vernon, very comfortable
  • Disliked — Staff could not speak English
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Minneapolis
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2008

This was one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed at. If you have lost your sight and smell you will love this place as it is cheap. If you have sight you will see that the rooms are run down and the bathroom smells like a nursing home. I felt like I was back in college living in the [----] hole I lived in there. Stay away from this hotel. In Washington DC you will need to spend at least $150 for a halfway decent hotel.

Stayed April 2008
Humble TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2007

I was nervous about staying here after reading reviews. But we went for it! The price was right and it was only about 15 minutes from the subway Huntington station. When we arrived, there was a family having a loud argument on the front steps and in the parking lot. This made me a little nervous. They were only at the hotel for a family reunion and weren't staying long - I found that comforting. The room was clean but I did see a roach during our stay. The microfridge was very helpful for us! The front desk people were helpful but didn't give that great of directions. Some of the desk workers weren't as helpful as others. The fitness room only had 1 treadmill which we couldn't get to work and 2 other machines. The washing machine was very helpful for us!

• Liked — price/location
  • Disliked — probably not a really safe area
  • Stayed July 2007
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Delaware
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2006

After reading several reviews complaing about the cleanliness of the facility we were pleasently surprised by the exact opposite. The outside of the building is a bit forboding but it lent itself to a quite nights sleep, no outside sound noise.

• Liked — Location to Mt. Vernon
  • Disliked — Looks like a prison from the outside
  • Tips/Secrets — Room #119 was quite and clean
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2006

I work in construction, and do contract work traveling from state to state. I've had the (dis)pleasure of experiencing some of the worst, and some of the most pleasant accomodations along the East Coast.

While Econo Lodge isn't the poorest hotel/inn I've stayed in, it barely ranks as fair.

Issue #1:
I was removed from the room I had been renting for several weeks, because a large block of rooms (mine as well apparently) was reserved by a large party, and there was an error/lapse in the paperwork necessary by my construction company to keep me in the room. Nothing in my behavior or patterns indicated that I would be leaving the room, and none of my other coworkers were removed. A room happened to come available, but I had resolved that night to sleep in my car, and the staff seemed little concerned up until this point. As I observed the large party, it seemed, to me anyways, that my room was desirable because it wouldn't split up the party. Also, my company reserves these rooms at a subsidized rate, so it was better for them to remove me for that night to make the surplus.

Issue #2:
The new room I was placed in is a smoking room (I am still here now). There was a thick stench in the room, and I've been attempting to air it out. The room isn't as nicely renovated as the one I was in prior, and the toilet seat should definitely be replaced.

Issue #3:
I have been given stained towels and linens! I sleep on my own sheets, and bring my own towels, but when I pulled back the blankets the other day, I saw a yellow stain. Also, a few of the towels I've been given have had stain traces on them. This is unacceptable.

Overall, this is fine for a traveler such as myself. There are close conveniences, and the housekeeping staff is extremely friendly and supportive. But it's not a place I would bring my family, or recommend to people who are visiting nearby sites like Ft. Belvoir.

Additionally, the continental breakfast is honey nut cheerios , corn flakes, sweet pastries, and mini muffins. The drinks are coffee, fruit punch, and orange juice. Given these options, I buy groceries up the street.

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business
Washington D.C.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2006

Let me start by saying I stay in motels for weeks at a time as I work on a contract basis in the D.C. area. Have tried most of the chains in every county in the metro area - and theres a HUGE difference from property to property - even within the same chain.

There are a couple of good EconoLodges in the area - one REALLY good one called Metro - this Mt Vernon place is NOT one of the good ones - unless they have totally re-done every inch of it. There was some sort of construction going on but I don't know what they were planning to do. Too little too late for my stay to be worth repeating.

Notice the photo of the entrance to lobby. If you could zoom in you would see there are approx 8 big steps up. If you have heavy luggage or trouble walking steps - beware - even to get into the ground level rooms you have to get up those steps. And beyond that - NO elevators to the upper floors. Ice machine broken.

Service at front desk varied from good to poor depending on which person you got. One of them tried to deny me the "special offer" that Choice Hotels was running at the time, to earn free nites. But Choice is the worst of the hotel loyalty programs anyhow.

I had booked a week because of the low rate - forgetting that axiom "you get what you pay for". Because of the amount of luggage I had hauled up all those stairs, and the hectic week of interviews, etc. I managed to survive TWO nites here - one would have been more than enuf for most people.

This isn't even a one star hotel - and as I said before there are some good EconoLodges here and there. Why they don't drop this from their roster is beyond me.

Scary people wandering around, stale air from the A/C, stains on carpet, GUNK of unknown origin on the phone and tv remote - the tv reception fades in and out, just not a good thing - well one to be honest - the bathroom was clean and bed not too uncomfortable. Hard to sleep when you are afraid things might be crawling on you - trust me this is not a decent place at any price.

Oh and one further annoyance - my cell fone had no reception in the room - had to go out into parking lot to use it.

Just a real loser dog of a place.

• Stayed June 2005, traveled on business
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2005

Hotel makes a very bad impression. Almost everything needs repair and a fresh coat of paint. Even the rooms that have been "renovated" were poorly done. Obviously someone did not want to pay for a good job. This motel needs new owner and management.

• Stayed May 2005, traveled on business

Been to Quality Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!