“Ok for 1 night...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Days Inn Alexandria-South

You added Days Inn Alexandria-South to your Saves list
Days Inn Alexandria-South
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   6100 Richmond Highway, Alexandria, VA 22303 (Huntington)   |
Ranked #35 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
Bath, New Hampshire
“Ok for 1 night...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

The hotel was ok but I would not stay here again. The rooms needed updating, the ice machine had bugs in it and the rooms smelled. The free internet was not good at all. The pool is quite large but not clean.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Alexandria, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

We booked this motel thru Expedia, and got descent price for this area. We noticed many construction workers and truckers utilize this establishment perhaps for economic reasons. Plus side: ample free parking, free wifi, free breakfast, outdoor pool, relatively clean room and comfortable beds. Down side: very simple and limited breakfast, weak wifi, pool is only open from 1600 to 2100 and small bathroom. Staff is friendly and pleasant. Location is very convenient for exploring Washington DC area. I would recommend rooms facing the courtyard/pool for they are quieter from the traffic on Route 1/Richmond Hwy. Overall good value for the money.

Room Tip: Rooms facing courtyard/pool are quieter
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

IDK if it is because I was expecting the worst and didn't get it or if the stay was really good. I transitioned to this hotel after staying at the Courtyard Marriott because for financial reasons. I read other reviews and was nervous as hell. Staff were pleasant enough. Initially when I went for check-in, they told me that I had the wrong Days Inn and should try another Days Inn in the area. I returned with a printed version of my reservation and was miraculously found. That was frustrating and confusing. Definitely not a good start. I'm not going to lie, I didn't step a foot into the bath tub for my entire stay. I soldier bathed the entire time. Like I said, I had just come from the Courtyard. LoL! I thought the bathroom was extremely small and near. I was pleasantly surprised to see a fridge and a microwave in the room.

Minor issues with the wifi signal topping maybe twice a day. There were limited television channels. Maybe 30 channels at most. I was disappointed at that. My room was located on the second floor. The elevator made me feel like I would plunge to my death. LoL. (I'm dramatic)

My only real complaint is the fact that I knew that my linen and bathroom towels and skin cloths weren't changed daily which made me wonder if they had been changed prior to my stay or if the room attendant knew that the same person was residing in the room for a couple of nights.

I never used additional amenities such as the breakfast or pool but other guests didn't appear to have any issue with either.

Like I said, I was pleasantly surprised. I believe another reviewer warned not to judge a book by its cover and that is a very accurate statement. I would definitely return to stay here if in the area. I had no concerns of safety and the hotel was easy enough to find

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Portsmouth, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

I will admit the firs thing I did when I arrived was look online for other hotels with vacancy before even checking in. I didn't find anything so I went for it.

The front desk clerk was not the best, but when I got to my room I was pleasantly surprised. It was clean, fresh and looked very updated. I am not usually a fan of motel style (exterior doors instead of interior corridors), but this property was very nice. It was quiet, clean and great for the price.

Couple of things that prevented me from giving it a 5

1) The front desk clerk simply wrote 'hello' on my room key envelope. I thought he was being nice, but turns out it was the WIFI password. I had to call the front desk to ask how to get on to WIFI and he seemed a little put out.

2) They have the environmental program to hang towels and they will not replace them. I hung them every day and they replaced them every day. More annoying than anything.

3) Breakfast was nice enough for the price. But the cooked eggs in the cooler grossed me out a little. But still nice waffles, muffins, cereals, etc.

For the price and the proximity to Huntington Metro station - worth it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the parking lot.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
daysinn6852, General Manager at Days Inn Alexandria-South, responded to this review, September 23, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking good time to send us feedback. Your feedback is extremely important in our day to day business. Your comments have been shared with housekeeping staffs.
Giri
Las Vegas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

This hotel needs a makeover. The room was a bit dirty. The pool tiles were cracked. The front desk staff was very nice and helpful. The breakfast room was very small but the fresh waffles were good. Overall the location was goo to get to DC on the metro.

• Stayed July 2014
Las Vegas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

The family stayed here for a couple of days to see the sites in Washington DC. The room was nice and the beds where comfortable. The bathroom is a little small. The shower didn't have pressure and it would get too hot and then all of a sudden turn extremely cold. I don't why that was happening but it made for an uncomfortable shower. Breakfast was served but it consisted of cereal, make your own waffle with only one being available, and frozen egg and cheese which has to be heated in the microwave. You can't bring food out of the room as stated by one of the clerks due to the health department. Which I believe is bologna. Overall the stay was great and a short drive to Walmart, Papa John's, Wendy's, Five Guys, and other shops that we have all become familiar with.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

This hotel is a bit dated, but it was economical, clean, and (almost) everything worked. The staff was friendly and helpful and the location provided easy (though somewhat congested) access to Washington DC, my primary destination. The room was small but livable. I had to re-arrange the furniture so the desk faced the TV instead of the wall. The breakfast was OK but the choices were somewhat limited: cereal, toast, bagels, and those make-them-yourself waffles. Some bacon or sausage would have been a good addition to the pre-made eggs. The chocolate chip muffins saved the breakfast however; they were great!
I do have a complaint, however. The internet connection was terrible. I have had this problem in Days Inns before, and I used to think the cause was my old laptop computer, but during this visit several other guests reported the same issues. The resident computer expert on the staff couldn't even get it working and pretty much gave up. The internet worked just a little bit better in the lobby than it did in the room, and I was able to get my work done there, but if you are dependent on having the hotel-provided Internet in your room I would advise against staying here.
Overall this was a good experience for the money and I would stay there again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
daysinn6852, General Manager at Days Inn Alexandria-South, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
Dear Guest,

I thank you for your valuable time to send us feedback and also apologize for the internet issue. IT technician has updated internet connection issue.
Thank you for staying with us.
Giri

Been to Days Inn Alexandria-South? Share your experiences!