“Perfect For A Trip To Our Capital!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #20 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
Charlotte, NC
“Perfect For A Trip To Our Capital!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Stayed here on a long weekend trip to DC. LOVED it. Checked in late & the staff was so delightful. The amenities are nice, although we didn't use most of them. Starting with the room, the bed was AMAZING! Loved the pillows. When housekeeping came to tidy the room, they even put our shoes neatly against the wall and my clothes draped over the chair. So nice.

The only bad side to the room was the bathroom. Nothing major, though. The toilet, bathtub & sink were really LOW. And, we didn't have a handicapped room. That, and the water pressure wasn't there. Nor did the shower get really hot. But, it was enjoyable.

The hot breakfast wasn't anything to write home about. It was nice that they offered such a variety, but the food tasted like it had been sitting (and we got there around 8am).

All in all...this hotel is in close proximity to the Van Dorn St. Metro Station (Just a short ride to the city). But, be warned...BE PREPARED TO WALK. We bought a $14 day pass and got on and off as many times as we wanted. I would definitely stay here again. Loved it!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Mgmtteam, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Alexandria, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
April C:

Thank you for staying with us for your trip to DC. We are so glad you loved your stay and hope to see you when you come back for more DC sightseeing. I have asked our maintenance staff to check to see if there are any problems with our water circulation pumps to be sure the water pressure is where it should be and I asked our restaurant staff to make sure to rotate food on the breakfast buffet more frequently to keep it as fresh as possible.

Again, thank you for staying with us and thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor about out hotel.

254 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Middleburgh, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Went to this area for a mini family vacation. We wanted to visit Washington DC and found that this property wasn't far away and provided us with the amenities we wanted. We paid a little more for the room than some of the properties closer/in DC but there was no extra parking fee, a hot breakfast and a shuttle to the Metro station just down the roadway. We arrived early but were able to check in. The room was not huge but we were only there to sleep and shower...what do you really need? We were comfortable in the room. All of the hotel employees we dealt with were extremely polite and helpful. Breakfast was excellent providing us with a good start to our days. We could eat a really good breakfast and then eat a late lunch and/or early dinner saving money on meals. We did order in one night, the hotel provided us with several menus from local restaurants that delivered right to your door. We would definitely stay again. The only complaint I have would be that there wasn't enough water pressure in the shower for my liking.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Mgmtteam, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Alexandria, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
AmyKay:

Thank you for picking our hotel to stay at for your mini vacation. We appreciate your taking the time to write a review about us on TripAdvisor and thank you for the kind comments about our staff and complimentary breakfast buffet.

Not knowing which room you stayed in, I have asked our maintenance staff to check all of the shower heads in our rooms to make sure they are free flowing and if any need to be replaced.

Thank you again for staying with us, we hope to see you again on your next trip to our area.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Spent spring break with the kids seeing the sites in Washington, DC. Unfortunately, cooler temperatures delayed the blooms of the cherry blossom trees at the National Mall. The hotel is a 5 minute drive to the Van Dorn Street Metro station, which is approximately a 30 minute ride to the Smithsonian Metro station. The hotel provided complimentary shuttle service to and from the metro. A hot breakfast was included and was very good compared to some other budget hotels. Towncenter was 5 minutes from the hotel and had every major eatery, movies shopping and more. A lit, double decker driving range was on the way to Towncenter. The most economical hotel we could find close to DC. The hotel is pet friendly, but call in advance for all the rules. Also, there really isn't much green area around the hotel to walk your pets. They do have a pool but it is outside and was closed during our stay. The rooms were comfortable and looked to be recently renovated.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 307 which is the back right corner of the hotel. We were right on top of what app...
Virginia:

We appreciate your picking our hotel to be your base to see the Washington DC sights with your kids. It is great to hear that you enjoyed our breakfast and enjoyed the many nearby restaurants, theater and metro access.

Our pool opens on weekends starting on weekends in May then every day from Memorial Day Weekend to Labor Day.

Thank you for staying with us and writing about us on TripAdvisor, I hope we see you on your next trip to our area.

NW Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

This hotel was home for 2 nights for an 8th grade class trip. We waited on the bus after arriving around 9pm on a Monday night for about 15 minutes while the tour guides went in for our keys. We had about 20 rooms (for 50 people) on 2 floors. The rooms themselves were average--queen beds, flat screen TV, bathroom w/ sink, toilet and shower/tub, small refrigerator/microwave. The breakfast area was much bigger than expected and easily held our group and other patrons. There was even an area outside for when it was warmer. Breakfast was what you'd expect--scrambled eggs, sausage, yogurt, frozen bagels, toast, instant oatmeal, boiled eggs, 3 juices, milk, and make-it-yourself plain or blueberry waffles. The outdoor pool was closed so I can't comment on that. The room was clean, carpet OK, elevators worked without too long a wait. The lobby has a small seating area with one computer for patrons to use. This hotel was near enough to Wash. DC that it didn't take long to commute in/out from there. One minor issue was the highway noise audible from both sides of the hotel (7th and 8th floors). However, it wasn't loud enough to disturb the sleep or keep us awake.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for bringing your 'Class Trip' group to our hotel and for taking the time to write about us on TripAdvisor. I'm glad that you were able to get a good nights sleep even with the road noise you mentioned. Being close to the 495 beltway is great for transportation access but some road noise does come with that convenience.

Our pool opens on weekends starting in May then every day from Memorial Day Weekend to Labor Day. If you have to opportunity to stay with us on your own or with a group in the future when our pool is open I am sure you will enjoy it.

Again, thank you for staying with us.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Breakfast is served!! Mmm I love biscuits and gravy. Single serve milk (love it!!), blueberry waffles, and space to park my truck. There's not too much I can say is wrong here, it's what you expect from a hotel plus a little extra... The little things go a long way when you spend as much time in hotels as I do, and this place satisfies.

• Stayed March 2013
GSheffield:

Thank you for staying at our hotel and for letting us know you loved our breakfast and our very large parking lot to make parking your truck easy. We appreciated your taking the time to write about us on TripAdvisor and hope to see you on your next trip to our area.

Wilmington, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

I had to go with "Excellent", even if the Comfort Inn Alexandria had a couple things on my list. I had a double-bed non-smoking room (506) for four nights, that I was told was "renovated". This was per my request after reading TA in advance. The room had certainly been renovated with a limited job on the bathroom. My only note (not even a complaint), that I made to the friendly staff, was a loose bathroom sink faucet, loose toilet paper holder and a toilet seat that needed to be held in the up position for when guys use it. Another thing I might recommend is changing the sink drain assembly, since it shows considerable wear.

Now all that aside......This place ROCKS! Every single member of the staff (breakfast room, maintenance, front desk, shuttle drivers, housekeeping) were incredibly outgoing and very very efficient. The room, lobby, dining room and even the shuttle were kept very clean. My room (506) was in excellent shape, but I also had a King Bed room (612) for one night, that was outstanding. Clearly this very spacious room had been extensively renovated including the bathroom. BTW......for those who may have mobility problems, the bathroom features a walk in shower. This is the room that I will request in the future.

The breakfast each morning has options of self-service waffles, eggs, meat selection, pastries, donuts, breads/bagels, hard boiled eggs, juices, yogurts, coffee, etc.(6 am - 9:30 am). The shuttle to the nearby Van Dorn Street Metro Station (0.8 miles) is available 7am to 10pm, I think. Definitely know it starts at 7am. The nearby Metro runs until 1am with taxi service available from there. If you're not sure about the shuttle convenience, parking at the Metro is $4.75 a day.

This hotel's location is excellent for D.C. provide you have a car to find great restaurants in nearby Springfield or farther.

In the afternoon and evening, they also offer Beers, Wine and a Lite Fare for purchase in their dining room. A small shop sells souvenirs and convenience items.

The price was a gigantic savings, and travel convenience versus staying in D.C was superior. Free parking, Free shuttle, Free WiFi, Free Breakfast.........Outstanding staff.

Room Tip: 612 is an Awesome spacious, renovate room. Perfect for those with mobility problems too.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Mgmtteam, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Alexandria, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
RoadTripper516:

Thank you so much for staying with us and for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor. Please accept my apology for the problems you noted in the bathroom of room 506. I am sorry for the miscomunication 506 is due to be renovated later this year, not a renovated room. 612 however has been renovated along with 70% of our other rooms. I have had maintenance resolve the items you noted in room 506.

We really appreciate your kind comments on the service our team provided, our breakfast, the cafe in the evening and the gift ship. I have shared your comments with our entire team.

Again, thank you for staying with us, we hope to see you on your next trip to the DC area.

Sharpsville, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I was traveling in the area on business, and spent three nights at the Comfort Inn & Suites Alexandria. First let me state that I have been a Choice Rewards member since 2005, and spend anywhere between 10 - 25 nights a year at Choice Hotels. When I checked in here, it marked THE FIRST TIME someone at the front desk recognized me as a Choice Rewards member! I even told him that. Great job!! The staff was good!
The room was pretty much clean, and the hot breakfast was fine.
I experienced no problems while staying here.
There can be some significant road noise and there are not many places nearby to grab something to eat. We simply set our GPS for Old Town Alexandria, and in about 15 minutes +/- we were in Old Town, where there are plenty of places to eat.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Mgmtteam, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Alexandria, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Little Mac:

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel on Trip Advisor. We appreciate your deciding to stay with us and I am glad you enjoyed your stay.

We have been working with our desk staff to recognize our Choice Privileges Rewards member guests as we really value your patronage of our hotels. Thank you for letting us know that the front desk clerk recognized you as a Choice Privileges member, I have posted a copy of you review in our back office to remind the desk staff that their efforts are appreciated.

I am glad you were able to find your way to Old Town Alexandria, there are quite a number of restaurants and shops in that area to meet anyone's tastes. I apologize if our staff didn't let you know of the Kingstown shopping area which is about 1 1/2 miles south of us and offers about 15 restaurants and other shopping. We also serve a limited menu (burgers and pizza) in our cafe from 5:30 pm to 9:30 pm every evening.

Again, thank you for deciding to stay with us and for taking the time to write about us on the Trip Advisor web site.

Alexandria, VA

Been to Comfort Inn & Suites Alexandria? Share your experiences!