“Fit our needs a budget nicely” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #20 of 49 Hotels in Alexandria
Sharpsville, Pennsylvania
“Fit our needs a budget nicely”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I was traveling in the area on business, and spent three nights at the Comfort Inn & Suites Alexandria. First let me state that I have been a Choice Rewards member since 2005, and spend anywhere between 10 - 25 nights a year at Choice Hotels. When I checked in here, it marked THE FIRST TIME someone at the front desk recognized me as a Choice Rewards member! I even told him that. Great job!! The staff was good!
The room was pretty much clean, and the hot breakfast was fine.
I experienced no problems while staying here.
There can be some significant road noise and there are not many places nearby to grab something to eat. We simply set our GPS for Old Town Alexandria, and in about 15 minutes +/- we were in Old Town, where there are plenty of places to eat.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Mgmtteam, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Alexandria, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Little Mac:

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel on Trip Advisor. We appreciate your deciding to stay with us and I am glad you enjoyed your stay.

We have been working with our desk staff to recognize our Choice Privileges Rewards member guests as we really value your patronage of our hotels. Thank you for letting us know that the front desk clerk recognized you as a Choice Privileges member, I have posted a copy of you review in our back office to remind the desk staff that their efforts are appreciated.

I am glad you were able to find your way to Old Town Alexandria, there are quite a number of restaurants and shops in that area to meet anyone's tastes. I apologize if our staff didn't let you know of the Kingstown shopping area which is about 1 1/2 miles south of us and offers about 15 restaurants and other shopping. We also serve a limited menu (burgers and pizza) in our cafe from 5:30 pm to 9:30 pm every evening.

Again, thank you for deciding to stay with us and for taking the time to write about us on the Trip Advisor web site.

Alexandria, VA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Jawad, Chris, and the rest of the staff were very helpful and friendly. We love staying here! Thank you!! The breakfast was excellent. The front desk/reception area is warm and inviting. The cleaning staff did a great job. Thank you!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Mgmtteam, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Alexandria, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Katherine C:

We are so happy you decided to stay at our hotel on you trip to our area in January. Thank you for writing a reveiw about your stay with us on TripAdvisor. We appreciate your letting us know you enjoyed the service provided by Jawad, Chris and the resof our staff, I made sure that everyone saw your review and that you appreciated the service they gave you and the clean room.

Thank you again for staying with us, we hope to see you again soon.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

My wife and I had a reservation at this comfort inn the first weekend of December to visit DC. When we were picked up by the shuttle from the metro station (Van Dorn) and looked around, I knew we made a mistake. We felt like we were in the middle of nowhere. We checked in and when we got to our room and it was horrible. It smelled very bad, we looked at our bed and the sheets were of wet (I assume it’s from the moisture of the room).Later, we asked the front desk about the nearest restaurant or store and the surprise was there was none of them in a walking distance!! We have to go to the nearest king street or take the metro. At that point, my wife told me that we were not going to stay. We went to the near Hampton Inn and booked a room with them.

I will never go back in to that smelly place again. PLEASE DO NOT STAY AT THIS COMFORT INN. And If you decide to stay, make sure to bring clean sheets for your bed and have some gas masks.

Room Tip: Don't make a bad choice like me
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Mgmtteam, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Alexandria, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Richard A.:

I am sorry that your stay with is last month was unsatisfactory and for the problems you noted with a odor in your room and damp sheets. While I was not aware of a moisture problem in any of our rooms, we will have our maintenance and housekeeping staff do a check of all rooms to make sure we resolve any problems of this nature that may exist. If there is any way you could let us know the room number you were assigned we would greatly appreciate it as it would help us resolve this issue.

Unfortunately there are no restaurants or stores within close walking distance of our hotel, we have easy access to the 495 highway but it is over a 1/2 mile walk to the nearest restaurant if you don't have a car. Our shuttle does run from 7am to 9:30 am every day and can take guests to the Van Dorn metro station as well as to the Kingstown shopping area a mile south of our hotel. The metro will take you to King Street in Alexandria where there are many shopping and dining options and the Kingstown shopping area has over a dozen restaurants and many stores. I am very sorry if our staff didn't tell you about these options, we will remind our desk staff of the importance of this to our guests.

Clearly your stay was not what you expected or to the standard we strive to provide for our guests. We have renovated about 75% of our rooms and expect to complete the balance by the end of 2013, if you stayed in one of our older rooms I would love to be able to show you one of our new rooms. I certainly understand the importance of these reviews being anonymous but if you would like to contact me I would be happy to offer you a free night on a future visit to show you what we can offer as I would welcome the opportunity to change your mind about out hotel.

Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

I was touring the US on my motorcycle and wanted to see Washington, DC so I decided on the Comfort Inn in Alexandria. I must say the staff went out of their way to be helpful. I had already checked out and went to start my motorcycle. The battery was dead to my dismay so I went back to the front desk. Estella, who was working the desk that morning, got on the phone and called around for a new battery for me. She called Carl, the maintenance supervisor for the hotel, and he also made calls for a battery. We located one and I went to pick it up. Carl lent me the tools I needed to change the battery without any hesitation. All of the staff were very friendly and the room was comfortable and clean. I would recommend this hotel to anyone and will stay there again when I return to Washington, DC. Thank you for all of your help.

Claude

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Claude P.:

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write about our hotel on Trip Advisor. I am happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate you mentioning our staff members that were able to help you with your motorcycle battery probelm. I have thanked them both for the assistance they gave you so you could get back on the road.

Again, thank you for staying with us, we hope to see you on your next trip to our area.

Gold Coast
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

Stayed here for three nights with three adults in a king suite. Our adult daughter had a sofa bed in a attached room with her own vanity and toilet. The sofa bed lacked support in the springs. The king bed was comfortable and the rooms and linen were clean. Wi-fi access was good. Breakfast each morning was the usual with some hot items included and changed each morning. We bought light meals from the Cafe one evening and whilst my daughter and wife enjoyed the cheese pizza, I found the ham and cheese sandwich with fries unappetising. Jesse on the front desk was helpful at checkin and check out. We used the free shuttle to the Metro on one day. On our return to the station after a long day in DC we phoned the hotel front desk to be told that the shuttle would pick us in about 5-10 minutes. After 35 minutes the shuttle had not arrived so I phoned the hotel again to be told that traffic was bad and the shuttle was on its way. When the shuttle arrived my wife commented to the lovely girl who was driving about the traffic problem and she replied that there were no traffic issues at all and she had us back to the Comfort Inn very quickly. We believe that our first phone call had not been acted upon and when you are standing in the cold, dark and light rain at the Metro station waiting this is not good enough. It is on this basis and because of the uncomfortable sofa bed that we are rating the establishment as Very Good rather than Excellent. As indicated in the title of the review, there is only one car park access off Van Dorn Street and the entrance to this becomes blocked in the afternoon peak. It can also be difficult exiting as traffic comes around a blind curve up the hill and past the carpark exit.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Papa_Panda:

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to post a comment in Trip Advisor about us.

I agree, a sofa bed is not the best choice for a adult, we normally only recommend them for children 12 and under because their lighter weight works ok on a sofa bed. I am sorry this was a comfort issue for your daughter.

Your comment title "Access from Van Dorn Street can be difficult" is unfortunately true and something that we wish we could make better but our hands are tied. We do suggest that guests no turn left out of our entrance as that both slows down guests exiting our parking lot and is less safe than I personally like as there is no traffic light. Unfortunately being close to and having easy access to the 495 highway entrance ramp has some traffic issues.

I have reviewed your comment about the delay in your pickup at the metro station with our desk staff as this is an important service we provide and should be as prompt as possible, I am sorry for your inconvenience.

Again, thank you for staying with us, I hope we will see you on a future trip to our area. If you do return, please feel free to contact me personally so I can see if a better bed arrangement can be made so all of our party can get a great nights sleep.

New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

I stayed in this hotel in Nov 29 for one night and It was the worst experience I have ever had in my life.

First, I was scared out of my wits because the room door was forced open (I should have left there the first hour)..Second, the sink and the tub were clogged and I had to wait for the maintenance guy to come and fix them (He actually didn’t fix the tub). But the worst was when I showered, the shower sprayed tiny black particles all over my hair and face, it looked like ashes, it was very disgusting.

There is nothing good in this place I can think of. I did myself a favor and stayed at another hotel where I enjoyed my stay and so I don’t recommend staying in this dirty and disgusting place.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Mgmtteam, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Alexandria, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Tracy C:

I am very sorry that you had a bad experience on your stay at our hotel last month. You didn't include the room number in your review but I can see by the picture of the door and clothing rack area the it was one of our older rooms. About 75% of our rooms were renovated this year and last year and we hope to have them all done by the end of 2013.

We will certainly have our maintenance staff check all of the older rooms over the next few days to inspect for and fix any problems we find with door security, sink and tub drains and shower heads. Again I am very sorry that this effected your stay. I certainly understand the importance of these reviews bein annomous but if you would like to contact me I would be happy to offer you a free night in one of our recently renovated rooms to show you what we can offer as I would certainly welcome the opportunity to change your mind about our hotel. You can reach me through the hotel if you decide to take me up on my offer.

Again, I am very sorry for the experience you had during your stay and hope you will give us the opportunity to win you back as a guest at our hotel.

Cut Off, La
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

My wife and I planned a vacation trip to Washing, DC this past October. We checked reviews for hotels/motels outside of DC with location and price a strong consideration. Our first selection was a hotel in Arlington with a great review. But, what we found was a dingy, dark, older property in a queationable neighborhood so we went to our second choice which was the Comfort Inn & Suites of Alexandria but had mixed reviews.

Driving up to the Comfort Inn & Suites in Alexandria we both got excited. The place was bright & clean & new. The clerk at the front desk was cheerful and helpful. The price was very reasonable and our room was great! There was a free full breakfast every morning and a shuttle van to take us to the Metro whenever we were ready to go.

On the times we wanted to venture out on our own, the friendly desk clerk prepared a map quest print out to the exact location we told her about. We could not have been happier with our experience and will return again. There must be some people hard to please because anthing other than an outstanding review of this facility is very misleading. We highly recommend the Comfort Inn & Suites of Alexandria as a great place to stay while visiting Washington, DC.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Larry W:

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel on Trip Advisor. We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate your mentioning our desk team as being cheerful and helpfun. We will pass your kind comments on to them as well as recognize them publically in our next general staff meeting.

Again, thank you for staying with us and thank you for your kind review about our hotel.

Alexandria, VA

Been to Comfort Inn & Suites Alexandria? Share your experiences!