“Access from Van Dorn Street can be difficult” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #20 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
Gold Coast
“Access from Van Dorn Street can be difficult”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

Stayed here for three nights with three adults in a king suite. Our adult daughter had a sofa bed in a attached room with her own vanity and toilet. The sofa bed lacked support in the springs. The king bed was comfortable and the rooms and linen were clean. Wi-fi access was good. Breakfast each morning was the usual with some hot items included and changed each morning. We bought light meals from the Cafe one evening and whilst my daughter and wife enjoyed the cheese pizza, I found the ham and cheese sandwich with fries unappetising. Jesse on the front desk was helpful at checkin and check out. We used the free shuttle to the Metro on one day. On our return to the station after a long day in DC we phoned the hotel front desk to be told that the shuttle would pick us in about 5-10 minutes. After 35 minutes the shuttle had not arrived so I phoned the hotel again to be told that traffic was bad and the shuttle was on its way. When the shuttle arrived my wife commented to the lovely girl who was driving about the traffic problem and she replied that there were no traffic issues at all and she had us back to the Comfort Inn very quickly. We believe that our first phone call had not been acted upon and when you are standing in the cold, dark and light rain at the Metro station waiting this is not good enough. It is on this basis and because of the uncomfortable sofa bed that we are rating the establishment as Very Good rather than Excellent. As indicated in the title of the review, there is only one car park access off Van Dorn Street and the entrance to this becomes blocked in the afternoon peak. It can also be difficult exiting as traffic comes around a blind curve up the hill and past the carpark exit.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Mgmtteam, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Alexandria, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Papa_Panda:

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to post a comment in Trip Advisor about us.

I agree, a sofa bed is not the best choice for a adult, we normally only recommend them for children 12 and under because their lighter weight works ok on a sofa bed. I am sorry this was a comfort issue for your daughter.

Your comment title "Access from Van Dorn Street can be difficult" is unfortunately true and something that we wish we could make better but our hands are tied. We do suggest that guests no turn left out of our entrance as that both slows down guests exiting our parking lot and is less safe than I personally like as there is no traffic light. Unfortunately being close to and having easy access to the 495 highway entrance ramp has some traffic issues.

I have reviewed your comment about the delay in your pickup at the metro station with our desk staff as this is an important service we provide and should be as prompt as possible, I am sorry for your inconvenience.

Again, thank you for staying with us, I hope we will see you on a future trip to our area. If you do return, please feel free to contact me personally so I can see if a better bed arrangement can be made so all of our party can get a great nights sleep.

259 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

I stayed in this hotel in Nov 29 for one night and It was the worst experience I have ever had in my life.

First, I was scared out of my wits because the room door was forced open (I should have left there the first hour)..Second, the sink and the tub were clogged and I had to wait for the maintenance guy to come and fix them (He actually didn’t fix the tub). But the worst was when I showered, the shower sprayed tiny black particles all over my hair and face, it looked like ashes, it was very disgusting.

There is nothing good in this place I can think of. I did myself a favor and stayed at another hotel where I enjoyed my stay and so I don’t recommend staying in this dirty and disgusting place.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Mgmtteam, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Alexandria, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Tracy C:

I am very sorry that you had a bad experience on your stay at our hotel last month. You didn't include the room number in your review but I can see by the picture of the door and clothing rack area the it was one of our older rooms. About 75% of our rooms were renovated this year and last year and we hope to have them all done by the end of 2013.

We will certainly have our maintenance staff check all of the older rooms over the next few days to inspect for and fix any problems we find with door security, sink and tub drains and shower heads. Again I am very sorry that this effected your stay. I certainly understand the importance of these reviews bein annomous but if you would like to contact me I would be happy to offer you a free night in one of our recently renovated rooms to show you what we can offer as I would certainly welcome the opportunity to change your mind about our hotel. You can reach me through the hotel if you decide to take me up on my offer.

Again, I am very sorry for the experience you had during your stay and hope you will give us the opportunity to win you back as a guest at our hotel.

Cut Off, La
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

My wife and I planned a vacation trip to Washing, DC this past October. We checked reviews for hotels/motels outside of DC with location and price a strong consideration. Our first selection was a hotel in Arlington with a great review. But, what we found was a dingy, dark, older property in a queationable neighborhood so we went to our second choice which was the Comfort Inn & Suites of Alexandria but had mixed reviews.

Driving up to the Comfort Inn & Suites in Alexandria we both got excited. The place was bright & clean & new. The clerk at the front desk was cheerful and helpful. The price was very reasonable and our room was great! There was a free full breakfast every morning and a shuttle van to take us to the Metro whenever we were ready to go.

On the times we wanted to venture out on our own, the friendly desk clerk prepared a map quest print out to the exact location we told her about. We could not have been happier with our experience and will return again. There must be some people hard to please because anthing other than an outstanding review of this facility is very misleading. We highly recommend the Comfort Inn & Suites of Alexandria as a great place to stay while visiting Washington, DC.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Larry W:

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel on Trip Advisor. We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate your mentioning our desk team as being cheerful and helpfun. We will pass your kind comments on to them as well as recognize them publically in our next general staff meeting.

Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

We discovered this great hotel on a visit to Washington some time ago. Since then we've stayed here several times because of the wonderful, friendly service, cleanliness and strategic location. It's so close to I-395 the main artery from Northern Virginia into Washington. Metro (subway) station is also very near. Several Shopping Centres are close as well. This hotel features free parking for guests. In addition the price, when compared with other properties in the Washington area is quite reasonable. A number of fine restaurants are in the area.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Renard78:

We really appreciate your taking the time to write a review about our hotel on Trip Advisor. We are very happy that you have enjoyed your stays with and appreciate your coming back several times.

I hope to meet you on a future stay with, stop by and ask for Scott. Again, thank you for staying with us and thank you for your kind review about our hotel.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Me & my husband have had the pleasure of staying here several times for last few months. The front desk staff has not met all of our requests but often surpassed them with smiles on their faces throughout. The front desk agent Jay has been very friendly, accommodating and always went above & beyond his way to assist us. I highly recommend this establishment to anyone staying in northern Virginia. We will be back :)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Mgmtteam, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Alexandria, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Catherine Q:

First, we appreciate your deciding to stay with us multiple times. We value all of our guests but guests who come back again give us time to know them better which we really enjoy. We also thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel and out team and we are very happy that you have enjoyed your stay's with us. I shared your kind review with our staff as they make the hotel what it is.

Thank you again, we hope to see you soon.

Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

I only stayed here for one night, but wish I could have stayed longer. I arrived late after a somewhat gruelling 4+ hour drive from Virginia Beach. What a relief. First, I was greeted by Becky at the front desk who checked me in quickly and recognized me as a Choce Rewards customer; it's only about the 3rd time in 5 years. Not important, but it shows her attentativeness to detail and a willingness to do her job right. Then the room was, for me, on the upper end from most of the Choice hotels I stay at. Good bed, clean, spacious; it was a larger suite style room. The hotel was full. Also, Estella at checkout provided excellent directions to my job site. The only downside was the internet was a little inconsistent; may have only been a temporary issue. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Mgmtteam, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Alexandria, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel on Trip Advisor. We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate your mentioning our desk team members Becky and Estella. We will pass your kind comments on to them as well as recognize them publically in our next general staff meeting.

I apologize for the inconsistency you notived with our internet system. We have seen a considerable increase in demand which is taxing the resources of our system so we are in the process of bidding on the installation of new and additional wireless access points and a new server. It will probably be late February or March before the new equipment is installed but it should make our system much more robust and responsive to our guests needs.

Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

My family and I had a horrible experience and were directed to this hotel by choice hotels to complete our stay in the Washington, DC area. The first hotel we stayed at was a terrible excuse for a hotel, but this was on the opposite end of the spectrum. We booked this hotel through choice hotels and when we came to check in it became the most pleasurable experience i can ever recall having at a hotel. When i went to check in the manager of the hotel was at the front desk. His name was Atif. I was telling the front desk staff about our previous nights stay and he felt so remorseful and stepped up to the plate immediately. We had booked 2 rooms, one for our children and one for my wife and myself. He took it upon himself to immediately upgrade us to a king suite at no extra charge. We thanked him profusely as his kindness and generosity was over the top. The front desk and Atif were friendly and kind our entire stay. They were absolutely wonderful. Book a room here with confidence and stay in a wonderful hotel room

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your kind words, we are very happy that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. I am so sorry that your experience at the other hotel you used was such a dissapointment but and we appreciate your picking our hotel to complete your visit to our area.

Atif is a valued member of our staff and I greatly appreciate your recognizing him in your comments as well as our front desk staff.

Thanks again for staying with us.

Alexandria, VA

Been to Comfort Inn & Suites Alexandria? Share your experiences!