“Just Right!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 49 Hotels in Alexandria
Minnesota
“Just Right!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

We travel to this area to visit relatives annually. This hotel is close to the people we visit. It has definitely improved over the years. The interior has been upgraded and they now have a limited restaurant available with light food in the evening. Overall, the hotel offers what we need during our stay--a comfortable clean place to stay. This year we stayed in a suite which was a wonderful surprise. We had a room separate from our sleeping room with a couch, computer desk and flat-screen. For those traveling into D.C. there is a shuttle available to take people to the metro subway system. The staff is helpful and the breakfast, included in the rate, is a full meal by anyone's standards. The one drawback to this location is the entrance/exit. It is situated on a hill and when you enter or leave the hotel you are in a high traffic area and sight is limited because of the hill. It is a challenge. However, the price is reasonable and the comfort is just right!!

Room Tip: Corner rooms are larger and quieter
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
gaithersburg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

We had a great stay. It was clean.The manager, a nice arabic guy, helped us alot by enlisting his driver in helping us get our stuff loaded into the van when we left. He also helped us when we thought we had gotten there too late to eat but directed us to a nice african guy at the cafe who helped us with our dinner. We even got a great package that gave us coupons to use in the cafe. Finally, we had a great time at the pool the next morning with my nephew. The free breakfast was awesome which kept us going for the rest of the day. Checkout was a breeze. We also got a lot of help from the manager when we decided to do some tourist stuff with my sister that we were visiting and he helped us plan our itenerary to go on Saturday.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012 via mobile

The great service started when I called for the shuttle bus to take me to the hotel. The van was there within minutes and Lee, the extraordinarily helpful driver, not only took great care with all of my baggage but also had some very helpful ideas on where to go to get my errands done the next day.

Upon my arrival, my son and I went to the restaurant. I was afraid the wait staff was going to be rude, as we got there 20 minutes before they closed and because I was with a 3 year old, but Solomon was so nice. He was very patient with us and even had my son laughing and smiling even though it was past his bedtime. The food was better than I had expected as well.

Finally, the room was very accommodating. We were so comfortable that we almost missed the continental breakfast in the morning. As I was leaving, I ran into the manager, Atiffe, who was very helpful with getting us information for the rest of our stay.

• Stayed April 2012
Providence, Rhode Island
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

Just returned from several nights here, on college visits with a teenager. I had read mostly great reviews of the place and wanted to add my own pros and cons because I know I always rely on them when booking a hotel. It wasn't bad and was the most reasonably priced place I could find with free breakfast and free parking near a Metro, but I wouldn't stay again.

Pros: Price the best available during our time frame with amenities I needed. Free breakfast with lots of choices, free wireless, right off highway, refrigerator/microwave, free parking, location near Metro, relatively clean (if small) rooms, although I did see a huge bug on our night stand. If you had a car, you can drive to shopping and restaurants, but there's nothing to walk to.

Cons: Loud air conditioner/heat blowing on and off all night - temperature at night was never right, it was really loud on and off and made it hard to sleep. Desk staff difficult to understand and not particularly helpful, (some better than others, though). TV never worked quite right, not all stations came in and there was no explanation of how to use the TV. Be aware there is no decent restaurant in the evening - just cafe service with a very limited menu so you need to drive to any kind of other restaurant. Condition of hotel was Ok but kind of worn. The minute we stepped off the elevator you see the hallway rug ripped entirely from side to side, like someone took a razor to it. The room was in acceptable condition, as were most of the public places, but this looked dumpy.

About the shuttle service - this is really important to some people, particularly families, so here's what we found. Going TO the Metro from the hotel was very prompt, but a couple of times, despite calling for a shuttle promptly when we got off the Metro, we were left at the Metro stop for 20-25 minutes or more in the rain/wind/cold. (you should know that the drive from the Metro to hotel is about 5 minutes, maybe 10 with rush hour traffic). It's not really walkable, either, although on the phone they said it is. It's a busy divided road with heavy traffic at some times, and the Metro is down/up a steep enbankment. I had heard raves about shuttle service and drivers on this site but didn't find it to be true. It worked out most of the time, but if I'd had small children it would have been no fun waiting around like that and certainly, you couldn't have walked back to the hotel. And the staff never apologized, or explained the delays.

One rainy evening I called the hotel for a shuttle, and the phone rang at least 20 times before the young female clerk picked it up. The shuttle took a long time to get there, and when I arrived back in the lobby finally, the clerk never looked up and was clearly on a personal phone call. I found it bizarre she didn't answer the phone after so many rings and it makes me wonder if she ever asked the driver the first time I called. Also....you are pretty far out on the Metro line, so expect to pay more and take longer to ride into the city. But again. it can work, and I was traveling with an older child so it was OK.

Do visit old town Alexandria if you can while you're here, and we also ventured in the car out to Mt. Vernon, George Washington's birthplace, which I highly recommend. The hotel was further south than I should have stayed, but it did mean I visited those two great VA attractions.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Mgmtteam, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Alexandria, responded to this review, April 30, 2012
First, thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write a review regarding your experience at our hotel as we truly value your input as we work to improve our guest experience. Please accept my apologies for the problems you described and thank you for your positive comments about our breakfast, free wireless, easy highway access and other features.

I am sorry to hear that you would not stay with us again, that is certainly not the impression we want to leave with our guests. I have asked our maintenance staff to check all heat/air conditioner units over the next few weeks to find the loud unit you reported and resolve that problem. I have also asked maintenance to look at the corridor carpet to repair or replace the carpet you noted as being cut.

Our complimentary shuttle is constantly busy this time of the year and I certainly understand and apologise for your inconvenience waiting for the shuttle on a cold rainy day. The trip to the metro is certainly not what I would consider walkable and I will personally work with our desk staff to be sure they understand that they should not recomend walking as an option. Many people do so but I agree it is not something we should recommend.

You also noted that your room was small, but we have a variety of rooms from single rooms to one bedroom suites. Although you noted that you would not return to our hotel, if you decide to try us again, please contact me directly and I will be happy to offer you one of our one bedroom suites at a standard room price to help make up for your past experience.

Again, thank you for staying with us and taking the time to let us know about the issues with your lat stay. I do hope we will see you i the future.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

The bed in the room had been used, sheets not changed--quite revolting. The desk moved me to another room, but was not pleasant about it, and didn't apologize for the state of the first room. In the second room, the soap had been used. Had prepaid using an online site, so couldn't leave and find an alternative. Be warned--if you have even minimal standards of cleanliness, this place is unlikely to meet them. Sheets don't cover mattresses, few outlet plugs and they are not properly attached to the wall, holes in the wall....

Room Tip: Inspect first.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Mgmtteam, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Alexandria, responded to this review, May 2, 2012
Please accept my apology for the problems you encountered Thank you for taking the time to let us know of the problems you encountered during your stay.

Just because you prepaid your reservation online does not mean that you should be stuck if things are not right. I have shared your comments with our front office, housekeeping and maintenance staff so that we can find out who dropped the ball on these rooms and prevent it from happening again. Less than pleasant service in not acceptable from any staff member at any time and we will work to make sure our entire team understands that, especially the desk staff.

These reviews are intended to be anynonomus to promote open communication and I respect the value of that ; but if you would like to contact me directly at the hotel I would love the opportunity to invite you back to our hotel as my guest for a night on your next trip to our area to provide the experience all of our guests deserve.

Again, please accept my apology for the dissapointing stay you experienced. I hope we can have the opportunity to earn back your trust with our hotel.

Scott McEwan
Generla Manager
Comfort Inn and Suites
Alexandria, VA
Pittsfield, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

I was a little hesitant about staying at a Comfort Inn. I searched for hotels using the American Express Travel feature. The Comfort Inn Alexandria came up as a possibility with in my price range. When I went to purchase the room, AMEX indicated that only the King Size "suite" was available for $170. With some hesitation, I went ahead with the purchase. The room is sizable, bed is comfortable, and the pull out sofa for the kids is great. The room has a refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker, and safe. FREE PARKING and a complimentary hot breakfast is also a welcome addition to the budget of a family vacation in Washington D.C. It is April and around 60 degrees so I wasn't too concerned about the outdoor pool, but if the pool is an important feature for a hotel pick, you might have to go elsewhere.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

My family of 5 stayed here for 3 days 2 nights. The hotel was very clean and the room smelled fresh. The continental breakfast was an an amazing positive for the stay. My kids loved it and there was something for everyone toddler to adult. I am a vegetarian and there was plenty for me to eat. Our room faced the main road on Van Dorn and I found it to be quiet in the morning during rush hour. The flat screen tv's were a nice touch. We found the free shuttle to the metro a great plus. We never had to wait a long time to get picked up or dropped off. The trip into D.C. on the metro was a nice scenic view and very easy to navigate with the color coded system.

The only negative for me was that the front desk female who was there during our stay did not crack a smile once. She was pleasant by did not seem very personable. The shuttle drivers were very friendly and made conversation in the van. The staff in the breakfast room were very nice and accomadating. I also asked for a portable crib and was told they did not have any by the unsmiling staff member. On our last day they were doing work on the ceiling near our floor but we were on our way out.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay and would come back for the great price, breakfast, and convienence.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Been to Comfort Inn & Suites Alexandria? Share your experiences!