“Great staff-bad experience” 3 of 5 stars

Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #29 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
“Great staff-bad experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014 via mobile

I booked a room for four nights through a 3rd party (Priceline). I've been staying in hotels while I look for housing in the area. When I checked in I was advised there were no more non smoking rooms and I would have to stay in a smoking room. The staff was very friendly but couldn't accommodate my request for a non smoking room. I'm a past smoker and thought it would be a little inconvenient but doable.
Unfortunately, it seems that the room was reserved for chain smokers and the smell of smoke was so thick I would wake up choking. There also isn't anyway to get ventilation in the room.
Overall the room was clean, the location was close enough for my daily commute into DC. It's an older motel without the bells and whistles but it fit into my budget. I would stay again, in a non smoking room.

• Stayed July 2014
va423, General Manager at Quality Inn Mount Vernon, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to add a review of your hotel it is appreciated, I am sorry that we could not accommodate your request for a non smoking room, although the girls do a great job of trying to get the smoke out of smoking rooms I am sure you understand how difficult it is to eliminate it please next time you need a room call us direct 703-765-9000 so we can see that you are reserved for non smoking we hope to see you soon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

My husband and I had a great stay at the Quality Inn in Alexandria. We honestly do not have one negative comment. Kudo's for their employee who serviced the breakfast room. She was wonderful and very accommodating. Wouldn't think twice about knowing where to stay the next time we are in Alexandria.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
va423, General Manager at Quality Inn Mount Vernon, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Sometimes it’s a great guest who brings the best out in us; we couldn’t do what we do if you were not receptive to us. We thank you for taking the time to let everyone know that you were completely satisfied with your stay Nisha the breakfast attendant loves when the guest come to enjoy the Deluxe Conational Breakfast she more than likely offered to make you a delicious waffle while you got all the other items you need for it, we hope you tired our new addition Sausage Gravy and biscuits, and we hope you will return again soon.
Whitesboro, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

The staff at this hotel is wonderful, went out of their way to make our stay great. My husband is handicapped they made sure we were close to parking. Booked 2 rooms, made sure the rooms for our family were close together. Rooms were clean and the bedding was good. We enjoyed our stay and would recommend it.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
va423, Manager at Quality Inn Mount Vernon, responded to this review, July 4, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to let us know you were pleased with your stay here with us at The Quality Inn, our job is to make our guest feel welcome you know all that down south hospitality that's what we are all about, we hope to see you again soon
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

I stayed there for a week and found it to be a positive experience. The staff were friendly and courteous. When we arrived at our room, we noticed that one of the lamps did not work. We went to the front desk and with a smile, the clerk went to our room and changed the bulb right away. The Wi-Fi was not super strong or very stable, and the room felt stuffy and hot at night (this was in May by the way). There was a bit too much road noise to have the windows open so we went with the air conditioning which worked fine. The beds were comfortable and the room itself was pretty spacious which is good especially if have lots of luggage that you intend to have lying around, which was the case with us. It's right on highway 1 and there's a bus at the corner of the street that goes to the subway leading to downtown DC, which is where we wanted to go. The continental breakfast was edible but that's it, nothing special about it. After one breakfast at the hotel, we then went to Denny's across the street for the rest of week's breakfasts, which was very convenient and much better tasting. Our primary reason for staying there was the low price. Would we go there again? Not sure, but at least we would know what the expect and the experience was not a negative one.

Room Tip: Opt for the second floor, slightly less road noise
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your experience with us it makes us happy to know you were pleased with your stay sounds like you had a great week here with us and we hope to see you again soon
Auburn, Alabama
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

I am in the Army and my next duty station is Fort Belvoir. We stayed at this hotel while house hunting because of it's affordability and relative proximity to Fort Belvoir (only 10-15 minutes away). Our initial room was okay -- clean but muggy, the air conditioning wasn't working appropriately. But the wifi was sufficient, and the TV was nice with multiple movie channels included. Breakfast was simple but enough to hold us over until lunch.

On our second day, we found a bed bug crawling in our bed. It was a small black bug with an ellipsoid abdomen. I have taken a parasitology course in the past and was concerned that it might be a bed bug. I sent a picture to my sister, who managed hotels for years, and she advised me to check the mattress. I did. Classic bed bug markings all over the box spring. Disgusting. We took the bug to the front desk, and they claimed the bug was an ant. AN ANT. Do they dot think that we could tell if the bug was an ant? We showed them a picture of the box spring. They were unimpressed. They asked us what we wanted to do. Well, we obviously wanted a new room (in all honesty, I wanted a full refund and to find a new hotel, but we were exhausted from a day of house hunting and plus we didn't want to take our contaminated luggage to a new hotel that wasn't infested). They did give us a new room, and this room didn't have any signs of bed bugs. The air conditioning also conveniently worked in this room.

While the new room was comfortable, I was furious at the way we had been treated. They acted like our concerns were illegitimate, that we were crazy. We were brushed off and treated like an inconvenience, when they should have been bending over backwards to rectify the situation.

I contacted Hotels.com (through whom we made the booking) and Quality Inn and explained the situation. Hotels.com responded with a very nice email acknowledging our situation and a discount on the future booking of our choice. Quality Inn responded and informed me that the room had been inspected and no evidence of bed bugs had been found. They also said they would address the way we were treated by the front desk. They then gave us a free night stay at their hotel. That would have been a nice gesture, if I were to ever stay there again, which I won't.

The way our concerns were written off initially makes me wary to believe them when they say the room was inspected and found to be free of bed bugs. Who knows, maybe the room is not infested; maybe the mattress was just dirty. Really dirty. Maybe a group of toddlers stayed in the room and smeared chocolate all over the mattresses. It doesn't matter. I won't stay there again. Decontaminating your luggage on the off-chance that a nasty bed bug crawled in there is NOT FUN. I learned my lesson. Ain't nobody got time for bed bugs.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
va423, General Manager at Quality Inn Mount Vernon, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We were distressed to learn of the bed bug issue. We did take immediate action both in-house and with our outside pest control company that handles our preventive maintenance program of our property on a bi weekly bases. We were happy to report to you that no evidence of bed bugs were found in the room that you occupied to put your mind at ease. Our staff is trained in both prevention and detection to try and avoid problems of this nature. We appreciate your bringing this to our attention and for the opportunity to respond, we also hope you will reconsider using the complementary night we issued to you.
Please let us know if there is anything further we can do to try and restore your confidence.
East Central Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014

I stayed two nights at this property returning from a conference. It was at a good pricepoint on advance reservation compared to other hotels in the area. Upon check in, I noted this was a older Quality Inn. Not much parking in the front area (8 spaces max), most parking is in the rear of the property. This hotel is not ADA-friendly with steps required in several areas on the ground floor, these could all easily be upgraded with ramps if the property owners had a mind to do so. Armed security (with a gun, not a Taser) was present on-property at least during evening hours.

The guest room was definitely older and could use some refurb with scratched, used furninshings, peeling wall covering, and worn carpeting. The room itself was clean and the bedding was of good quality. Nice large flat-screen TV, good speed on the plug-in Internet in the room. Wi-fi was available but I didn't use it. The bathroom amentities were fine with good water pressure and temperature for the hot water, but with towels on the harder side. My room had a refrigerator and a microwave, the frig hummed along very audibly when it was running. My guess is this property was refurb'ed in the 1990's from the look of the rooms. The staff was very pleasent and willing to assist. I didn't try the continental breakfast this stay.

I can overlook a lot of smaller glitches for a good rate. All in all this was a good stay, and I'd return visit here in a minute when I return to the area again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
va423, General Manager at Quality Inn Mount Vernon, responded to this review, May 26, 2014
We want to thank you for sharing your experience with us during your stay it is appreciated when a guest takes the time to let us know how they felt and how things went for them we would only have to guess all your comments will be shared with all department heads to see what we can do to change things and keep things on the plus side. we hope that we will be able to see you again in the near future oh one thing we do have ramps I am sorry you missed seeing them.
Antioch, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

After much on line research, decided to stay here for our 4 day visit to the Nation's capital. Overall, not a bad stay. The inn was right off hwy 1 and right down the street from Safeway, which was very convenient. Upon entering the room once we arrived, there was the heavy odor of disinfectant but we worked thru that by just buying some room deodorizer. The breakfast was ok, with bacon, eggs cooked like a patty, cereals, bread, coffee and juice.This would not be your main meal but a decent way to start a day of exploring DC. Beds were comfortable and all in all, pretty much standard accommodations. Decent value for your money.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
va423, Front Office Manager at Quality Inn Mount Vernon, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
Thank you we very much appreciate and value your feedback, and will share it with our team. Your survey responses will serve as encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services to provide an exceptional experience for our guests.
Hospitably,

Christy Carter

Been to Quality Inn Mount Vernon? Share your experiences!