“Budget Friendly Gem in suburban Alexandria” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #29 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
Douglassville, Pennsylvania
“Budget Friendly Gem in suburban Alexandria”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

The last time my husband and I stayed in the Alexandria area, we stayed at the Hampton Inn on Route 1, which was very good. I LOVE Hampton Inns generally. But, when I priced the Hampton Inn for a 2-night stay this trip, it was over $200 a night. Ouch. So, we looked down Route 1 a little closer to Mount Vernon and decided to stay at the Quality Inn. This turned out to be a great choice.

The cost of 1 night at the Hampton Inn paid for both nights at the Quality Inn, and the 4-star or 3-star quality was pretty close to the Hampton Inn. You must decide if the step down is worth the extra bucks in your pocket.

The Hampton is newer but the Quality is recently renovated. Hampton is a high rise with interior elevators, Quality is 2-stories with external stairs. Both have comfy beds with great sheets and pillows, although I'd rate Hampton Inn's higher. Both had free WiFi for the laptop. Both had free breakfast with make-yourself waffles and hot items, although I'd give Hampton Inn an edge for their fresh fruit cup - but Quality Inn has fresh fruit to eat (apples/oranges) in the breakfast room and in the lobby. Free parking at both. (We drove, so this can be a significant expense.) I know there was an outdoor pool at the Hampton Inn, but it was wintertime when were were there so it was closed. The Quality Inn had a lovely outdoor pool with a lifeguard on duty from 3 to 9 pm, that I got to use this trip. At one point there were about a dozen people in the pool but there was room for everyone. Also the water was clear and there was no overpowering chlorine smell like some pools have. There are free pool towels to use, so no need to bring the ones from home.

The grounds are well-kept with an outdoor patio so you can eat outside the breakfast room. There are also picnic tables and a large grill outside the pool area so a family could picnic for a meal while on vacation.

The staff is very friendly and helpful. The room was squeeky clean. The Hampton Inn was right by the beltway and the traffic sound migrated into the rooms, although it was handy to drive to places. The Quality Inn was set back slightly from Route 1 on a little access road and the traffic sounds were much less.

Quality Inn wins for having a restaurant (Denny's) across the driveway from the hotel. There is nothing within walking distance of the Hampton Inn.

So, for us this time, we picked the Quality Inn. It was a mile away from the grandkids but I got to stay an extra day to visit and had a clean, comfortable stay at an award-winning Quality Inn. The choice was easy and we had a wonderful time.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

95 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

Overall a great stay...the breakfast was my favorite part because of BACON! The pool was also nice because they have a lifeguard and they have picnic tables and a grill...we will definitely stay here again if in the DC area

• Stayed June 2013
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

We went there on our school trip to dc and when we got there our room wasn't ready. It wasn't ready until we got back late that night. Ok that's not a big feel but when we got there and pulled the covers back with burn holes in them, we found blood all over them!!! When we asked for new ones it took them 1 and a half hours. When they got there (it was the front desk lady) she said. " this ain't my job, I don't know how do do this." So we had to make our own bed. Later that week I get out of the shower and find a bloody towel. There is no excuse why a hotel can be this bad.

• Stayed June 2013
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

Nice place for a short stay, the staff were very friendly. The room was a little dingy, the door did not close very easily, and did not feel very secure. Room was reasonably clean. Air conditioner was very loud which interrupted sleep throughout the night every time it came on. The breakfast was mediocre, not as wide of a selection that I have been used to at other choice hotels.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Kissimmee, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

The friendly staff upon my arrival was an added bonus for selecting this hotel. This is a great location for touring the Mt. Vernon historic site. Room was clean, shower was good, bed was comfortable, and the breakfast offered variety. The door to my 1st-floor room seemed a loose fit in it's frame but lockable. The neighborhood was well-worn, but seemed safe anyway.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

I like the way the building is boxed in so the rooms all face inward toward the court yard. Housekeeping is phenomenal and everything you could possibly want while shopping is within a mile or so. The beds are so-so but the four fluffy pillows are awesome. The microwave and fridge in each room is quite handy. There is a fitness center and my all round favorite... laundry. That is so convenient!! I'm not sure of the regular price as I booked my reservation through Priceline.com but it was well worth the money. I love this area.

Room Tip: get near the ice machine... there is only one on the third floor and one on the first. be careful w...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Arnoldsburg
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

The staff and location are very good. But the hotel is in bad need of repair and face lift.
The door to my room was weather damaged so bad there was at least a 1 inch "crack" at the bottom of my door due to rot.
Wallpaper was coming off the walls all over. The bed and table were very outdated and old and need replace. When I sat at the table, I was afraid it would fall down. The chairs. The longer I sat in them the lower to the floor they would get. Very worn out.
If in the area, I would stay here again, but there are many other hotels in the area. But as I said, it is a good location and the staff was very nice.
The room I was in had two double beds. The room looked like at one time it was a suite or a large one bed room. I had to turn sideways to walk past the second bed to get to the bathroom.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Been to Quality Inn Mount Vernon? Share your experiences!