“Good Enough” 3 of 5 stars

Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #30 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
“Good Enough”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

Don't expect a 5-star hotel. On the other hand, it's not a 1-star either. I'm guessing this place is old, but it was adequate. Less than 1/4 mile from the family I was visiting. The bed was comfortable. The room was clean, although expect a few stains on the upholstered furniture. Housekeeping service was excellent. I was staying with my 16-year-old granddaughter so it was nice that our room had two sinks; one in the bathroom and one outside. The free breakfast was perfectly adequate. Everything was fresh and replenished as needed. If you miss breakfast the hotel is right across the street from a Denny's and also a KFC. There was a pool with a life guard (nice touch that even some 5-star hotels don't have) but we didn't get to use it because we were running around. (Went to Old Town and took the free trolley over to the harbour and then the water taxi across the river to the National Harbour. Have to recommend it.) I'll stay here again because (1) location; (2) price; (3) no listings on the bed bug registry!!

Room Tip: Parking is quite limited on the north side of the hotel, but that's where the pool is and the br...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

I was extremely skeptical of the hotel based upon other's reviews of the hotel and surrounding area. I researched the area further and found it to be a nice working class area and a good hotel for the money; I am very glad we stayed here.
The hotel room size was comfortable, it easily accommodated 2 queen size beds and a foldout cot. There was a 3-drawer dresser, large flat screen television, dorm-room size refrigerator/freezer, storage nook with a clothes bar & hangers and a separate sink area and bathroom/shower.
The room was always kept very clean and neat, in fact the cleaning staff even propped our daughter's teddy bear on the pillows each morning.
The breakfast was far from a culinary delight, but it was plentiful, the food was good, the area was very clean and best of all it was free; that was a great cost savings for our family.

The METRO Huntington stop (yellow line) is only 2.5 miles away and there are over 3,600 parking spaces providing easy access to all of the sights DC and the surrounding areas have to offer.

There are plenty of reasonably priced restaurants and fast food places within a 2 mile radius of the hotel.

My only two drawbacks are a small one, the pool doesn't open before 3PM Monday to Friday & not as small, there were ants in the walls; we had to seal up all of the children's snacks in a cooler bag and tied up any empty food wrappers inside the garbage bags to minimize their presence.

Overall, this is an excellent hotel for the money; there may be nicer hotels a little closer to "Old Town" Alexandria or in DC itself, but most of them do not have free breakfast + a pool + free parking (which can be $20 to $40 for the hotels that charge for parking) and cost a lot more than $85 a night.
We will definitely stay at this hotel again, the next time we come to DC.

P.S. Go to Huntley Meadows park one morning for a walk, it is 2 minutes away by car off of Lockheed Blvd (the first light after the hotel). It has a boardwalk trail going through wetlands.
It is a nice walk to burn off the calories from the free breakfast.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

The room was clean and spacious, the hotel staff was friendly and they had a great breakfast for the cost of the stay. It's a great value if you're looking to tour Washington DC and are willing to save a little money by staying further away (it's pretty close to the Metro).

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

This is the worst experience of my traveling life. Checked in and the room is full of ants. The carpeting chosen breeds sugar ants because there's imbedded...whatever...throughout the room. How the cleaning staff can miss ants climbing on the tables, etc. is beyond me. Then, there were no other rooms to move us into...AWESOME. The night clerk refused to call the hotel manager. Instead, I got a can of RAID that leaked all over. The house phone in the room is dead, totally broken. What is so sad is that this could have been a fine room. The neighborhood is not a big deal; good restaurants two minutes up the street. Close to the Metro. Just a horrid stop (supposed to be here three nights). Ha! There is no excuse for this...none. Choice Hotels did nothing to solve this (should have moved me into another hotel). Instead, I am stuck standing vigil so my family can sleep. This is just wrong. By the way...room 334.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Bushkill, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

$90 a night in peak vacation season, do people expect to be walking around in a Georgetown-type neighborhood? Yes the local area can be a little seedy, but the grounds of the Inn are fine, and there's no reason to be walking to anything local. Good location, short drive to Mt Vernon, also a short drive to the Metro, with plenty of chain restaurants within a couple miles. The breakfastwas better than most, which is a big money saver when you're on vacation. As long as you can overlook the worn carpet and the stained bedspreads, it served it's purpose to a T.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
York, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

We needed a place to stay at an affordable rate for a tournament we were attending recently. We chose this hotel based on previous reviews an the special rate we were given. While the room was clean, the overall appearance of the hotel was dated. It did have two ok beds, very large tv, enough towels, etc. What was lacking was the neighborhood (right next to apartments that were again in a questionable way), An AC that gave a damp feeling to the room, a couple ants in the bathroom though we were on the second floor, and a small nervousness with seeing an armed guard walking around at night. At least our car would be safe.

I must add though that the front office staff was pleasant and was efficient in check in and out.

This would be an ok hotel for a quick stay, but I am sure there are better options in the Alexandria area.

• Stayed July 2011
Lexington, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

We reserved our room for my parents (ages 72 & 68) and myself. From the reviews on here and the pictures, I felt comfortable that this wasn't the greatest, but it would be safe and in a decent area. When we pulled up to the neighborhood, I honestly thought we had the wrong address. There was a low-income "project" on all sides of it with lots of scary looking people looking us over for even being there. The hotel itself was very run-down on the outside and lots of people lurking in the parking lot. We decided to re-think our stay, but after a long trip we needed to get out of the car so we went to the Taco Bell across the parking lot. When we walked in, there was a group of teens sitting in the corner who looked me up one side and down the other and yelled "oh sh**!" I went back and locked myself and my mother in the car while my father waited inside. The parking lot got worse and worse, lots of gang-looking types. We went back and got my father and left...quickly! This is NOT the place to stay for families with little ones, or elderly. Fortunately we were able to find another hotel in another area where we could sleep knowing we were safe.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Quality Inn Mount Vernon? Share your experiences!