“Decent Place to Stay” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #31 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
Toronto
“Decent Place to Stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

My husband and I stay at this hotel whenever we visit the DC/Virgina area, which is maybe 2-3 times a year. We always find it to be fine for the price - not super fancy, but adequate for our needs. The beds are okay (we always choose a king) and we have never had a problem with a dirty room or anything like that in any or our stays. The only thing is make sure you ASK for your coupon for IHOP in the morning for the discount for the breakfast as they do not always just hand them out. But I would recommend this hotel and as I say, we stay here every year.

Room Tip: Ask for your IHOP discount coupon in the morning or you may not get it.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Comfort_Inn_Landmark, General Manager at Comfort Inn Landmark, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Dear Cathy S,

I can't tell you how woncderful it is to read a comment from a loyal guest! First I'd like to Thank You and your Husband for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time out of your busy day to place such a great and informative comment about us to let our future guests know what they can expect when they get here. :-) Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you both again in the future! Have a wonderful fall/winter season.

Laura Lee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Heredia, Costa Rica
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

This was the best place for me to stay in DC area, just 5 minutes from The Pentagon and another 5 to Union Station in DC. If you catch them at the right time of year, it's also the most inexpensive hotel inside The Beltway. The neighborhood has unmatched ethnic diversity. The adjacent shopping center, a small strip, is like the United Nations includes extremely well run Vietnamese, Cambodian, African, Greek, Korean, Indian, and Latino retail establishments (including restaurants,) which makes one proud to live in a nation of immigrants.
Unfortunately, the price goes sky high in tourist season (Cherry Season, class trips), but usually it's been anywhere between $63 and $85/night. The place, as a whole, is somewhat threadbare, but the rooms themselves are very well maintained and the beds are comfortable, and the ice machines always work (not common in hotels at any price level.) I've stayed there three times (July 2011, Jan 2012, May 2012). My only complaint, and this is potentially serious, is that the wireless internet connection is inconsistent and sometimes downright awful. They need to bring in an entirely different system, or rivive the ethernet jacks that are built into the place. I wish hotels would learn that ethernet connections are the only reliable and secure path to the internet. The nearest McDonald's is the only really connection, and that doesn't help if you're hard at work in your bathrobe all night!

Room Tip: Just ask for something on the 3rd floor or above, also they may know at the desk if there's a la...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Dear GladstoneWilson,

I absolutely loved your informative comment! I can't tell you how wonderful it is to read a comment from a loyal guest! Thank you for taking the time to put some fantastic area things to do and places to eat down for our future guests. It's always nice to hear from previous guests on recommendations and experiences. :-) I truly appreciate it and we look forward to seeing you again when you're back in the DC/Alexandria area. Thank you again and have a wonderful fall/winter season.

Raleigh
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

We decided at the last minute to travel to Alexandria Va to go shopping for Antiques and knew that we would not spend much time in the room so amenities were not important. We booked the Comfort Inn Landmark (even after the negative reviews) because of price and location. The hotel is very well located and even though the hallway carpets and age of property is rough, it is very well located. We found that there were excellent restaurants very close by (TemptAsian) and the deal with the IHOP worked out very well. Parking was included and was no problem. The service was fair to good (wrong TV remote but after an hour got it corrected). Room and hallway carpet was rough but bedding was clean. Bathroom had an odor but it smelled like the beach. Overall (when considering cost and added restaurant benefits) would probably rate it 4 Stars.

Room Tip: Due to thin walls, try to get a room away from elevators. End rooms are in the 628/629 area.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Hooman42,

First I'd like to Thank You for taking the time to comment on your recent stay! I know your time is valuable and I want you to know I truly appreciate it. Thank you for choosing to stay with us despite the previous comments. It is our mission to satisfy every guest, every stay and it looks like we accomplished that during your stay! I want you to know I have addressed the few things you mentioned. Thank you for bringing them to my attention. We are very happy to hear you will stay with us again when you're back in the area. We love our loyal guests, and look forward to your next trip to the DC/Alexandria area. Thank you again and I hope you and your family have a wonderful fall/winter season.

High Point, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

4 friends visited Washington last week. Comfort Inn was reasonably priced and we LOVED getting our coupons for breakfast at next door IHOP each morning. A perfect way to start our day. The free shuttle took us to the nearby metro. Perfect lodging-clean, comfortable and Ashley was so nice at the front desk.

Room Tip: We were in the 5th floor. These rooms were pretty quiet.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Rowlett, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

I am a Choice Privileges Diamond Elite member, which means that I stay at Choice Hotels family properties (Comfort Inn, Quality Inn, Clarion, EconoLodge, and others) 40+ times per year. I booked this hotel as it was a convenient location for a quick, overnight stopover in the Washington, DC, area. Normally, I am satisfied with my stays at Comfort Inns, but I will never stay at this particular property again.

Why?

I had booked a non-refundable, prepaid reservation, but when I arrived, I was told that the hotel policy was to make a physical photocopy of the guest's ID at check-in. Having had such copies misused by other hotels twice in recent years, I refuse all such requests. The potential for identity theft and misuse of this very personal document is enormous, and while I am not suggesting that this particular hotel would misuse it, the fact is that I have run into problems before, and I am not about to allow this to happen again.

Since my reservation was non-refundable, I had a choice - either allow the copy to be made, or forfeit my prepaid reservation and stay elsewhere. Quite reluctantly, after a long and fruitless discussion with the night auditor, I allowed the copy to be made. And I was not happy about it.

Worse, since I arrived late at night, the night auditor had no way of reaching a manager to which the issue could be escalated. And one of the security guards, who had witnessed the discussion I had with the auditor, seemed to think the whole matter to be amusing. That didn't help.

Fellow travelers - there is no reason why a hotel needs to make a physical copy of a guest ID, except, perhaps, in those very few jurisdictions where an ordinance may require it - if, in fact, such ordinances truly exist. To me, the need to make a copy of an ID suggests any number of ugly things that would cause a reasonable person to not wish to stay at the hotel - things that the hotel feels it needs to protect itself against. By this comment, I am not suggesting in any way that there was anything out of the ordinary going on at this particular hotel, but the need to make a copy of an ID does raise red flags.

Regarding the hotel itself - the rooms are average - nothing special. Mine showed a few signs of wear and tear, but the room itself was clean and the bed comfortable. Parking is ample (and free), and there is easy access to I-395, and Washington Reagan airport is not far away. The advance purchase rate - $54.40/night + tax - is actually a good deal for the area. The best rates, including advance purchase rates, senior rates and AAA rates, can be booked at the brand website.

And oh by the way, this hotel also has those annoying safes in the rooms, for which the hotel charges $1.50/day for this "valuable convenience, although this annoying charge can be removed upon request at check-out. Hmmm.... hotel requires copy of picture ID ... and rooms need pay-by-the-day safes ... kind of makes a person wonder.

There are better places to stay. Find one of those.

Room Tip: Find a different hotel.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
London, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

This hotel was horrible and not as advertised. This whole place is false advertising. Breakfast is not included. You get a coupon for IHOP. They rooms are dated and bathroom was gross. The pictures of the inside must have been from some other hotel. The staff wasn't really that helpful. And frankly we moved to another hotel an hour away because that area was full of prostitutes and drug dealers. There is no picture of the pool for a reason it is scarey, and the needles behind the pool area was insane. This is not a hotel for kids or families. I was worried my car was going to get broken into or stolen. We stayed one night cause we had no choice then we left. Wasn't a good experience. Wouldn't book it!!

Room Tip: Don't book here!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

Had a family reunion, so we drove all the way from nebreska for more than 24 hours once we arrived there no one opened the door, one of the customer had to come and open the door for me. Once i went in the clerk was so rude wanted me to prove that i was a choice hotel employee, since the reservations can only be made by the managers...had to call choice hotels to get some help and finally had to give him our business card for the hotel to prove that i was an employee....that was a really big disrespect. Made me wait exactly an our to check inn...the clerk was so rude while talking, and was saying you better not come down for breakfast..u dont get breakfast...never seen a cheap person and a hotel like that.asked to talk with the manager did not even call us or gave us a chance to speck to the manager...i have worked in a hotel business for many years and never seen a disrespect from one worker to another worker. Since we were staying in a cheap rate, i think that is one benefit we get for working in a hotel and we are told we can use it nywhere no matter which choice hotel....we got the worst room in the hotel,filthy floors,dirty towels, smelled smoky, and the bathroom had mold all over the walls.....

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Comfort Inn Landmark? Share your experiences!