I am a Choice Privileges Diamond Elite member, which means that I stay at Choice Hotels family properties (Comfort Inn, Quality Inn, Clarion, EconoLodge, and others) 40+ times per year. I booked this hotel as it was a convenient location for a quick, overnight stopover in the Washington, DC, area. Normally, I am satisfied with my stays at Comfort Inns, but I will never stay at this particular property again.
I had booked a non-refundable, prepaid reservation, but when I arrived, I was told that the hotel policy was to make a physical photocopy of the guest's ID at check-in. Having had such copies misused by other hotels twice in recent years, I refuse all such requests. The potential for identity theft and misuse of this very personal document is enormous, and while I am not suggesting that this particular hotel would misuse it, the fact is that I have run into problems before, and I am not about to allow this to happen again.
Since my reservation was non-refundable, I had a choice - either allow the copy to be made, or forfeit my prepaid reservation and stay elsewhere. Quite reluctantly, after a long and fruitless discussion with the night auditor, I allowed the copy to be made. And I was not happy about it.
Worse, since I arrived late at night, the night auditor had no way of reaching a manager to which the issue could be escalated. And one of the security guards, who had witnessed the discussion I had with the auditor, seemed to think the whole matter to be amusing. That didn't help.
Fellow travelers - there is no reason why a hotel needs to make a physical copy of a guest ID, except, perhaps, in those very few jurisdictions where an ordinance may require it - if, in fact, such ordinances truly exist. To me, the need to make a copy of an ID suggests any number of ugly things that would cause a reasonable person to not wish to stay at the hotel - things that the hotel feels it needs to protect itself against. By this comment, I am not suggesting in any way that there was anything out of the ordinary going on at this particular hotel, but the need to make a copy of an ID does raise red flags.
Regarding the hotel itself - the rooms are average - nothing special. Mine showed a few signs of wear and tear, but the room itself was clean and the bed comfortable. Parking is ample (and free), and there is easy access to I-395, and Washington Reagan airport is not far away. The advance purchase rate - $54.40/night + tax - is actually a good deal for the area. The best rates, including advance purchase rates, senior rates and AAA rates, can be booked at the brand website.
And oh by the way, this hotel also has those annoying safes in the rooms, for which the hotel charges $1.50/day for this "valuable convenience, although this annoying charge can be removed upon request at check-out. Hmmm.... hotel requires copy of picture ID ... and rooms need pay-by-the-day safes ... kind of makes a person wonder.
There are better places to stay. Find one of those.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Comfort Inn Landmark near Old Town AlexandriaThe smoke-free Comfort Inn® Landmark hotel in Alexandria, Virginia is off Interstate 395 and one mile from the Landmark Mall.We are close to popular attractions, like: •George Washington's Mount Vernon Estate & Gardens •John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts •Fort Belvoir Army base •National Gallery of Art •Washington National CathedralThe Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport and the Washington Dulles International Airport are a short drive away.Additional points of interest nearby include: •National Zoo •Smithsonian Institution •Library of CongressVisitors will enjoy outdoor recreational activities like golfing, jogging, boating, fishing and horseback riding, all minutes away.Be sure to visit the 24-hour IHOP Restaurant located on the premises.Our amenities include: •Free coffee •Free local calls •Free shuttle service to the Van Dorn Metro stations •Free parking •Seasonal outdoor poolYour Morning Breakfast is full of hot and delicious options, making breakfast at the Comfort Inn Landmark the perfect way to start your day. Enjoy our free hot breakfast featuring eggs, meat, yogurt, fresh fruit, cereal and more, including your choice of hot waffle flavors!All guest rooms come equipped with coffee makers, safes, cable televisions, irons and ironing boards. For guest convenience, valet cleaning services are offered. The Comfort Inn Landmark hotel is your destination for hospitality and value when visiting the Alexandria, Virginia area. We look forward to serving you soon! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Booking.com, Otel, BookIt.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Choice Hotels, Priceline and Agoda so you can book your Comfort Inn Landmark reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Comfort Inn Landmark Hotel Alexandria
- Landmark Comfort Inn
- Comfort Inn Landmark Alexandria
- Alexandria Comfort Inn
- Comfort Inn Alexandria