“Average Rooms, but Offensive Policies Make This a "No Go"” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #35 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
Rowlett, Texas
“Average Rooms, but Offensive Policies Make This a "No Go"”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

I am a Choice Privileges Diamond Elite member, which means that I stay at Choice Hotels family properties (Comfort Inn, Quality Inn, Clarion, EconoLodge, and others) 40+ times per year. I booked this hotel as it was a convenient location for a quick, overnight stopover in the Washington, DC, area. Normally, I am satisfied with my stays at Comfort Inns, but I will never stay at this particular property again.

Why?

I had booked a non-refundable, prepaid reservation, but when I arrived, I was told that the hotel policy was to make a physical photocopy of the guest's ID at check-in. Having had such copies misused by other hotels twice in recent years, I refuse all such requests. The potential for identity theft and misuse of this very personal document is enormous, and while I am not suggesting that this particular hotel would misuse it, the fact is that I have run into problems before, and I am not about to allow this to happen again.

Since my reservation was non-refundable, I had a choice - either allow the copy to be made, or forfeit my prepaid reservation and stay elsewhere. Quite reluctantly, after a long and fruitless discussion with the night auditor, I allowed the copy to be made. And I was not happy about it.

Worse, since I arrived late at night, the night auditor had no way of reaching a manager to which the issue could be escalated. And one of the security guards, who had witnessed the discussion I had with the auditor, seemed to think the whole matter to be amusing. That didn't help.

Fellow travelers - there is no reason why a hotel needs to make a physical copy of a guest ID, except, perhaps, in those very few jurisdictions where an ordinance may require it - if, in fact, such ordinances truly exist. To me, the need to make a copy of an ID suggests any number of ugly things that would cause a reasonable person to not wish to stay at the hotel - things that the hotel feels it needs to protect itself against. By this comment, I am not suggesting in any way that there was anything out of the ordinary going on at this particular hotel, but the need to make a copy of an ID does raise red flags.

Regarding the hotel itself - the rooms are average - nothing special. Mine showed a few signs of wear and tear, but the room itself was clean and the bed comfortable. Parking is ample (and free), and there is easy access to I-395, and Washington Reagan airport is not far away. The advance purchase rate - $54.40/night + tax - is actually a good deal for the area. The best rates, including advance purchase rates, senior rates and AAA rates, can be booked at the brand website.

And oh by the way, this hotel also has those annoying safes in the rooms, for which the hotel charges $1.50/day for this "valuable convenience, although this annoying charge can be removed upon request at check-out. Hmmm.... hotel requires copy of picture ID ... and rooms need pay-by-the-day safes ... kind of makes a person wonder.

There are better places to stay. Find one of those.

Room Tip: Find a different hotel.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
London, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

This hotel was horrible and not as advertised. This whole place is false advertising. Breakfast is not included. You get a coupon for IHOP. They rooms are dated and bathroom was gross. The pictures of the inside must have been from some other hotel. The staff wasn't really that helpful. And frankly we moved to another hotel an hour away because that area was full of prostitutes and drug dealers. There is no picture of the pool for a reason it is scarey, and the needles behind the pool area was insane. This is not a hotel for kids or families. I was worried my car was going to get broken into or stolen. We stayed one night cause we had no choice then we left. Wasn't a good experience. Wouldn't book it!!

Room Tip: Don't book here!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

Had a family reunion, so we drove all the way from nebreska for more than 24 hours once we arrived there no one opened the door, one of the customer had to come and open the door for me. Once i went in the clerk was so rude wanted me to prove that i was a choice hotel employee, since the reservations can only be made by the managers...had to call choice hotels to get some help and finally had to give him our business card for the hotel to prove that i was an employee....that was a really big disrespect. Made me wait exactly an our to check inn...the clerk was so rude while talking, and was saying you better not come down for breakfast..u dont get breakfast...never seen a cheap person and a hotel like that.asked to talk with the manager did not even call us or gave us a chance to speck to the manager...i have worked in a hotel business for many years and never seen a disrespect from one worker to another worker. Since we were staying in a cheap rate, i think that is one benefit we get for working in a hotel and we are told we can use it nywhere no matter which choice hotel....we got the worst room in the hotel,filthy floors,dirty towels, smelled smoky, and the bathroom had mold all over the walls.....

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Pigeon Forge, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

After picking up a coupon book at one of the Virgina rest stops, we stopped at the Comfort Inn Landmark on Duke Street in Alexandria, VA for a one night stop before moving on. The coupon was for 75.00 for a one bed one person room. I put the coupon on the counter and told the counter manager that we needed a one bed for me and my wife. That put the total with tax up to 85.73.
I said that is fine, so he printed out a ticket and hastily handed it to me and said "sign" in these three places. I looked at the bill and it was for 107.00. I asked what happened, wherein he looked and said "oh", then tore it up and printed out another one. It had 87.31 and I didn't question it. Also used their breakfast coupons for the I-Hop that adjoined them and my wife found a charge for a large orange juice that we didn't request nor have during breakfast.
The next day I looked on-line at my CC charges and found where they had charged my CC for 122.00. Looked at the receipt for 85.73 and saw a 1.50 charge for a safe that I did not request nor use.
Arriving back there at 2:30pm, I asked to talk to the hotel manager and was told she was on a conference call and it would be 30 minutes before she could see me, so I sat down to wait, after 15 minutes, the counter manager came back out and then said the hotel manager was on a training call that would be 3.5 hrs. and didn't want me to wait. So of course, knowing they were refusing to talk to me, I showed the counter manager my receipt and asked why I was charged 122.00 ? After going around in circles a few times I gave them the CC phone # they requested, so she could call and get the charges right (never heard of this before).
I did ask why I was charged 1.50 for a safe wherein she told me that they put that charge on automatically unless the customer declined it.
after adjusting the bill back to 85.73 and being assured that all was now well, I left.
Checked my CC charges this morning and see the new charge at 87.31 --
I want all to be aware of the charge manipulation at this place - customer BEWARE ----

Room Tip: Watch your wallet!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Amman, Jordan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

I stayed at the comfort inn Landmark VA for the last week in April at room 606. The room had a nice view the hotel is located in a lively neighbourhood . Staff were kind and helpful , room was clean. They provide a 5 dollar voucher for the attached IHOP.Wireless network was available also a pc and a printer is available for free. I surely will stay again in this hotel for future visits to DC.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Tracy U, TripAdvisor Champion at Comfort Inn Landmark, responded to this review, May 29, 2012
Thanks so much for your kind words. We look forward to hosting you on your next trip to the capitol region.
Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012

booked after checking reviews on travel advisor. most were average to excellent. don't think so! disappointed in a comfort inn. have stayed in many and been generally happy to very happy with this chain of inn & suites.

on first floor which is actually 2nd. lobby is 1st. staff was o.k. to good. chose it mainly because of shuttle to metro. shuttle was always on time. if you can stay closer in, you'll have less time on metro.

bad smell. I bought air freshener which helped in room but not hallway. carpet and chair stained. upholstered chair had holes. sheets were so worn there were actually areas where maybe bleached out but you could read through them. weren't crisp sheets which make you feel they are clean.

husband said they didn't keep vending machine serviced on our floor.

not good area to be out walking. was a security guard (at least on weekend) after 10:00 pm. good to have - bad to need one. have to drive to restaurants unless fast food or IHOP in house. eat in DC.

I guess bottom line, I will not stay here next trip. Is another comfort inn in Alexandria.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for taking the time to let us know about your stay. Your comments will be shared with our entire team and will help us address the issues you found. I want to apologize for the housekeeping and maintenance issues you experienced as this certainly isn't the impression we want to leave you with. We are sorry that the Landmark Mall area of Alexandria didn't meet your expectations; our area is more commercial so we understand your concerns. I'd welcome you to reach out to our GM Directly. Again, our apologies.
Webster, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2012

Nice lobby and helpful staff. Furnishings are a bit old and the bedding while clean needs to be changed out. The room was clean. The wireless worked OK on the laptop and my wife's IPhone 3 but would not authenicate on my IPhone 4. The IHOP served good food and the waitstaff was very nice but they played the music in the dining area WAY too loud. The AC did not work in the first room but they quickly moved us to a room with working AC. This is the second time we have stayed here and it is on the list of possibilities for future stays.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Tracy U, TripAdvisor Champion at Comfort Inn Landmark, responded to this review, April 1, 2012
Glad to hear that overall you had a good stay with us. We realize we are not the newest hotel in the area but strive to provide clean comfortable accommodations with great service at a good price. We will certainly check with our Internet service provider to ensure the service works with the latest technology as we know how important this is to our guests. Thanks again for your comments and hope to see you again.

Been to Comfort Inn Landmark? Share your experiences!