“getting worse” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #33 of 49 Hotels in Alexandria
Knoxville, Tennessee
“getting worse”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2011

I've stayed at this hotel several times over the past 2 years. The hotel has generally been a decent compromise between price and proximity to the client that I visit. However I think I've stayed there for the last time. On my most recent stay, both elevators failed and I was forced to walk up and down five flights of stairs. (this isn't my first stay where both elevators failed). The last two mornings I was awakened before 7 am by the sounds of a jackhammer working somewhere on the hotel building. Housekeepers insisted on knocking on the door and yelling "housekeeping!" despite the Do Not Disturb sign on my door. And one evening, the night manager insisted on being let into my room (after I had undressed and retired) to see if I had been smoking... even though I never smoke. Also, the Internet service is very marginal and fails often.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Charleston, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011

We stayed here in September because we had a free night's stay and it was near a wedding we were to attend. What a mistake! It was nasty in every conceivable way. How can Choice hotels allow this?

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Tracy U, TripAdvisor Champion at Comfort Inn Landmark, responded to this review, November 15, 2011
On behalf of our hospitality team at the Comfort Inn Landmark I want to apologize for the issues that you mentioned in your review of our hotel. I do want to let you know that we take the comments from our guests very seriously and what you mentioned is not indicative of the standard that we work hard to live up to. We are sorry that we were unable to corrrect the issues during your stay but will take the comments and use them as a training opportunity with our team.
Tracy U
TripAdvisor Champion
Comfort Inn Landmark, Alexandria, VA
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

The front desk was rude upon arrival. The hallway was musty smelling. The room was mildewy smelling. We were told that because we got a deal on our room we could not get the I-hop coupons. The staff was rude any time I delt with them. The bathroom downstairs smelled someone died in it. The smell was there the whole 4 days I was there. It was horrible!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else if you need a decent place!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at our hotel. I apologize for the experience that you mention having during your visit. We take the comments from our guests seriously and use them as a reference when we work on training issues. You were given incorrect information regarding your breakfast. Every guest in an occupied room (up to 4 adults) should receive a coupon good for $5 towards the purchase of breakfast at the IHOP located inside the hotel. We have purposely worked this arrangement to offer our guests variety in breakfast and a good value.

As a rule, we have a dedicated staff member to care for the upkeep of our public restrooms and hallways. The comments you mention regarding these areas are not indicative of our typical standard levels. We will look into your comments with an eye towards finding out why this happened and take corrective action. Again, thank you for your honesty. We will do better in the future.
Temecula, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

Great value for the $$. We paid $76.50 per night for a King bed room. Refer, micro. $5 credit each toward IHOP (in building) breakfast. Free shuttle to the MetoRail station. Clean linens every day. IHOP was very clean. Hotel shuttle/MetroRail to DC is about 1 hr.

Down side: hotel is well past its prime. Room was clean, but well worn. Hotel shows signs of wear. Neighbrhood is questonable.

For us it was fine. We mostly just slept there. Up early, breakfast at IHOP, and off to DC. Usually returned around 8-9 PM. Showered and bed to start again the next morning.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Malinta, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

I stayed here with a school group visiting DC in mid May. Overall the hotel was dingy, although our room wasn't horrible save for the carpet stains and general lack of upkeep to the bathroom. Our toilet was clogged when we arrived, so I told the front desk about it. the clerk handed me a plunger and told me to bring it back when I was finished with it! I told him I would take care of the clog myself but they would have to get the plunger themselves, as the elevators were extremely slow and a roundtrip to the front desk takes 15 minutes. Around 11PM I received a call... it was the front desk asking me to return the plunger! I told them I would leave it in the hall and they could get it at their leisure. A half our later (when we were asleep) there was a knock at the door... it was an employee, asking if it was OK to take the plunger I left in the hall for them!

The vending machines were junk... it was a gamble if you would get the product you selected or if the machine would just take your money. I actually got a bottled lemonade out of one machine (two floor up from my floor as the other machines didn't work), but the lemonade was hot. Not room temperature... but HOT, like a warm cup of tea or something. Nice. I also had to go down a floor for ice as the one on our floor was out of order.

Coffee in the lobby was usually empty... I got one cup the whole three days we stayed.

The hotel grounds are unattractive, and I wouldn't recommend walking around after dark in the area unless you're a male capable of handling himself.

Luckily the sightseeing portion of our trip was great and overshadowed the crappy hotel. No idea what rate our school got for this hotel, but I guarantee we won't be back.

Room Tip: I don't know if there are any good rooms... all people we traveled with had many complaints
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Bowie, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2011

hi, i stayed there july 27th till mid aug. had a great experience there, customer sercvice was great, loved 5 dollar of coupons for ihope, and anytime i had a questions , employees where very helpfull and great

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

wonderful front desk staff extremely helpful and friendly , clean rooms has i hop inside the building open 24/7 at first i was hesitating about staying there but now i would recommend it everybody best place to take your family to

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to Comfort Inn Landmark? Share your experiences!