“Weekday at the Westin” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
Belleair, Florida
“Weekday at the Westin”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2010

I have stayed twice now at this location this year, and have found it to be consistent. The customer service is a bit slow, from check in through wake up call setting via the telephone from the room. There are few restaurants in the immediate area, and the hotel's list of restaurants in walking distance appears in need of update. The business center costs to use, but there is a computer/printer for airline boarding passes at no cost. This is a quiet location and a good setting for meetings.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Clarksville, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2010

We had a great night's getaway at this hotel. Nice place, close to Old Town. Brought our bikes and rode the great bike trails along the Potomac River.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Scranton, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2010

We stayed here while in Alexandria during the week of August 21st. We make it down to the DC area at least once every year and found Alexandria to be the nicest place in the area. We chose the Westin as we had a dog with us and the Marriott Residence Inn on Duke Street (we stayed there before) was sold out. The positives: large rooms, no dog fee and great location. The negatives: no free internet, noisy hallways, unresponsive front desk, toilet clogged twice on us, small pool, limited parking and no continental breakfast.

Conclusion - families should stay at Marriott Residence Inn or Embassy Suites. Business travelers would be ok with this place.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2010

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this hotel! I stay here when I am doing business in the Alexandra, Vienna, and Springfield areas. It is down the street from the King Street Metro Station and within a few blocks of the Masonic Temple. It is located across the street from the Federal Courthouse with amazing views. I have stayed here many many times (it is constantly fantastic). I love being here during the winter with all the lights up ans the trees in the windows. I do not close the blinds at night it is so beautiful. The staff is incredible. The beds are comfortable and it is quiet. I have been snowed in and was there during the recent bad storms. It is comforting to know that they will cater to your every need. They know all their guests! The food in the restaurant is wonderful. They buy the local produce and make it into the most wonderful dishes! The restaurant and bar are always hopping. The rooms are very nicely done and cozy inside. On my recent stay they had an Indian wedding in the front of the hotel and the reception was inside the ballroom. It was so beautiful! They really do go the extra mile to accommodate all your needs! I recommend this one if you are renting a car and planning on doing business outside of DC. They do have shuttle service nearby but not from the airport. They do have valet parking depending on the rate you get it may be included. I have had it included and not on some stays. They always have my car out and ready when I call. The metro gives you access to everywhere in DC. I would recommend this if you are going to have a major event (wedding, meeting, family event). This place is beautiful and bottom line the service is amazing! They do have the usual amenities such as gym, pool, and business center. They have a store within the hotel for water, etc. They are a short drive from a nice grocery store if your inclined to pick up water, drinks, etc. They are within walking distance of several restaurants (I still love the hotels so I rarely venture out!)

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Portland, OR
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2010

I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights in August, and have very few complaints. I booked in on the Westin website and got a great pre-paid deal of only $136 a night.

The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because they nickle and dime you with charges. Wi-fi is $10 a day. Using the business center costs $7.50 for 15 minutes, which is ridiculous when almost every traveler has to print out their boarding pass. A bottle of water in the room is $5 -- even if you're a Starwood member (as far as I could tell, I didn't get a single perk for my membership).

Now, all that being said . . . it's a beautiful hotel, well-appointed, and comfortable. My room was comfortably sized, and included a desk and two sitting chairs by the window.
The bathroom was well decorated, and well laid out, with plenty of room.I had asked for a quiet room, and they gave me one far from the elevator (I joked I'd need a trail of breadcrumbs to find my way back), and I have NO noise problems. I was worried about the reviews that said the walls were thin, because I'm a very light sleeper. But I had no problems. They do provide free coffee and a coffee maker in the room.

I especially liked the hotel's environmental consciousness. In addition to a regular waste can in the room, there's also a blue can specifically for recycling. If you opt not to have your room cleaned every day and save resources, you get a $5 off coupon for anywhere in the hotel. That's a nice bonus, especially when you consider the breakfast does run a little pricey (although not more than any nice other hotel). However, on the flip end of that was the lobby air-conditioning was a constant arctic front. I had to wear a sweater just to go down there. They could have turned it up a couple of degrees to save energy, and it would have been more comfortable.

The staff was VERY friendly -- especially in the restaurant. And when I called the hotel the day after I checked out looking for my lost flash drive, they were prompt and helpful.

The location is kind of weird -- not a lot of restaurants or shops nearby, and the surrounding environment is corporate/government building. That's a drawback when you're just wanting a sandwich or salad. But it's walking distance to the King Street Station, and a quick drive into DC (and there's a good Thai place down the street).

If I got another good rate, I'd definitely stay there again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
Richmond, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2010

I decided to stay at the Westin for a wedding I was attending in Oxon Hill and also wanted to be in the Old Town area. With the price that is incurred in staying at this hotel; I would expect to be able to use the business center without a $7.50 charge for 15 mins. Also valet parking for $25/day is a little extreme. The Westin should not offer double beds. The heavenly bed is not what the hotel hypes it up to be. I will not be staying here anymore; the Crowne Plaza will get my money from now on.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Pagosa Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2010

My company has begun using the Westin as our preferred hotel in the area, since it is close to our offices. I have stayed there twice now and have nothing but good to say about it. It is in a quiet area of condos and offices. There are only a few restaurants in the area. The King Street Metro station and buses to Old Town Alexandria are only about three easy blocks away. However, the hotel's shuttle will take you around the area also. There is no free parking, just valet. However, I had no trouble finding free street parking after 5:00 pm (meters start at 8:00 am and end at 5:00 pm).

Stayed August 2010, traveled on business

Been to Westin Alexandria? Share your experiences!