“Great Hotel, Convenient Location” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #18 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
Pagosa Springs, Colorado
“Great Hotel, Convenient Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2010

My company has begun using the Westin as our preferred hotel in the area, since it is close to our offices. I have stayed there twice now and have nothing but good to say about it. It is in a quiet area of condos and offices. There are only a few restaurants in the area. The King Street Metro station and buses to Old Town Alexandria are only about three easy blocks away. However, the hotel's shuttle will take you around the area also. There is no free parking, just valet. However, I had no trouble finding free street parking after 5:00 pm (meters start at 8:00 am and end at 5:00 pm).

Stayed August 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Belfast
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2010

The hotel is very well located close to a metro stop. The hotel itself is what you would expect from a Westin, comfortable rooms, spacious and all the usual amenities. The only thing I would say regarding the room is the expensive internet access which wasnt the quickest in the world. I can never understand why hotels have free wireless in the lobby but not in the hotel room!

I never anything in the hotel, as always went to the whole foods which is just round the corner. The gym is well serviced, and in addition if you fancy a run outside, there are plenty of places you can run, especially a good trial down to the sea front.

All in all good hotel, only thing I would say is that you could probably find a hotel closer to the DC centre for the same money that is just as good.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Richmond
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2010

I've stayed at this Westin 3 times recently. I have always found the staff very friendly and helpful. They always are cheerful. The rooms are standard Westin, and DO include in room coffee makers. This last time I was upgraded to the Club Floor, which was nice to have the free breakfast. For the cost of the restaurant you can probably pay to upgrade. I have eaten at the restaurant for lunch and breakfast and it is fine. This last visit I was surprised by the number of guests with dogs. They were in the lobby and barking on the floor. That is not a good trend in the hotel industry. If you do have business at the USPTO or federal courthouse the location is perfect. This is a strong Westin and fine choice. It is a bit far from Old Town to walk but 5 minutes by car. Note that there is only valet and very little on street parking. Like all Westin Hotels there is no free Internet in the rooms- no surprise.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Virginia Beach, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2010

I don't usually do this but I was so dissatisfied with the service at this hotel I could not resist. The service from the front counter was well below par. They did not seem to know much about the hotel and were not helpful when asked basic questions. There is no complimentary breakfast not even coffee. You have to pay for internet. I would expect that if you pay that much for a hotel they would at least have some coffee for the quests and free wi-fi

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Alexandria, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2010

My parents stay at the Westin in Alexandria frequently when they visit. They have always enjoyed their previous stays, but the last time around, they forgot a few items of my dad's clothing in the closet when they left. We found out the Westin's customer service is certainly lacking when it comes to retrieving lost items.

I called later in the afternoon the SAME DAY they checked out to report the items they forgot. The person at the front desk assured me that they would check on this right away and get back to me. I never heard back. I called three more times throughout the week and got the same reply - that someone from security would get right back to me - but they never did. When I finally spoke to them a week later, they said our items we not in lost and found and that they didn't have them. I'm still not convinced that someone has thoroughly checked the room where they stayed.

I realize that hotels are not responsible for items that you leave behind, but it seems to me that if they had actually checked on the SAME DAY my parents checked out, they would have found the items. No one could seem to tell me where they could have disappeared to? Does the housekeeping staff steal clothes that people leave behind?

I'll certainly update this review if they do locate the clothing, but at this point, my parents are unsatisfied and do not plan on staying at the Westin Alexandria in the future. The hotel is nice enough, but when you have terrible customer service, it is better to stay elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2010

We made special request while booking the Westin Alexandria on-line: room on a higher floor and late arrival (1 AM) which were acknowledged by the staff. On the hotel's website the text box for Special Request only accepts one short sentence - you have to get crafty to leave more than on request there.
The sound insulation: we have clearly heard our neighbours talking in adjacent room through the washroom wall/door; the elevator bell when it arrives to our floor – this sound , the train signal from the Metro station through the window - all this in early morning. That was very annoying.
Staff was friendly and helpful when giving us directions to cafes and convenience stores but the maids cleaning our room were constantly forgetting stuff: when we arrived we only had one bath robe instead of two and no shower cups. The next evening we returned to the hotel late and discovered there is only one towel and no robes at all (for three of us) - the cleaning ladies forgot to the leave fresh ones. The hotel's shuttle is pretty much at your disposal: it goes wherever and whenever you want and picks you up after a phone call to the hotel - very convenient. There is an inexpensive sandwich shop across the street from the hotel - great sandwiches; and 7-eleven store two blocks away (in case you need to buy milk and such). Both corded and cordless phones in the room were dirty and dusty. The mini bar was empty and concierge gave us the key to use it as a fridge for groceries and fruits. One last thing: beds were very comfortable with two types of pillows and down duvets; not to plush and not to firm, just right. I would strongly prefer to stay in a room with two queen beds instead of two double beds (as it was in my room in Westin Alexandria)

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Alexandria, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2010

We had three stays here over a seven-week period. Initially we stayed on a Friends and Family rate, but we later switched to a government rate as we got reimbursed for part of the time. And the government rate was the maximum that I would pay for the hotel.
The rooms are nice and always clean, the beds are very comfortable, as usual for a Westin, and the service was friendly. The gym and pool were nice, although I only used the gym. The restaurant was quite good, although oddly the bartender claimed not to be able to make a mixed-juice beverage for me (Hint: pour in one kind of juice, then another.) The location is decent, although a bit further from Old Town than I would prefer. Certainly it is excellent if you have business at USPTO or the Federal courthouse. It was nice to have the free shuttle, although it was indeed a bit erratic in departures, and it stops at 10 pm, I believe. Anyway, the Metro is a short walk away. The location turned out not to be great for our purposes - going up to Arlington - but that's certainly not the Westin's fault. On street parking is free between 5 pm and 8 am weekdays and all day on weekends, a nice bonus for us, as we had a rental car. At other times, it's mainly metered with a two-hour limit.

The service was occasionally a downside. When we first arrived, we were with our dog, and we were assured the "dog welcome package"(bowls, bed), would be waiting for us in the room. It was not, and we had to call four times to get it. We also had to call twice to get robes, and when we did, the wrong items were brought. I got the impression there were very few housekeepers Although the rooms were clean, some days there would be no washcloths, on others no replacement toiletries such as shampoo, and once the robe was taken but not replaced. Also, the door to cabinet that hides the mini-fridge was broken, and we had to call twice to get that fixed. Some of the furniture was a bit dinged, but we did have a very spacious room with two lounge chairs.

Further, the front desk did not always seem to give out full info. For example, we were not told that the passwords for free Internet in the lobby would work in the rooms once you logged on, so instead we spent $40 in internet charges. Also, the staff did not really explain the hours/days of the Executive Club, and oddly, it turned out to be closed Monday morning when you might most need the coffee and breakfast, and was unexpectedly open some evenings. (We had never used this at any Westin.) However, the food in the club was good, and there were a few items suitable for taking "to-go.)

Finally, we were told that our Starwood number was entered into the system, when actually it was not.

Anyway, there were some issues, but most of them are fixable, and for a short business stay it could be quite a convenient and quiet hotel.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business

Been to Westin Alexandria? Share your experiences!