“Excellent Business Travel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Excellent Business Travel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

I recently spent 5 days at the Westin while on a business trip. The check in process was smooth, valet and doorman were very helpful. Rooms are very clean and comfortable with great bedding. Housekeeping and our request for toiletries wasn't handled as well as we would have liked but everything else was fabulous. There is a charge for the business center which I found odd however the front desk offered to print materials (which wasn't necessary but a nice offer). The hotel restaurant is great. Good food and friendly staff. Unfortunately we did not find anything super close to grab during lunch breaks (outside of our Starbucks runs) but we didn't have time to explore that. The hotel is a short walk to the waterfront with great shops and restaurants. I'm looking forward to our next trip.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
WestinAlexndria, General Manager at Westin Alexandria, responded to this review, August 20, 2014
Dear CMorrisCMC,
Thanks for staying with us recently and taking the time to comment. It was great to know that you enjoyed your stay. Look forward to welcoming you back.
Rich Casale

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

Check in process was very fast and quite friendly. Room was good sized and clean. Bed was very comfortable the room was quiet...a great night sleep in a hotel - so rare!!

Hotel bar/restaurant was clean, friendly and seemed to be quite busy for a weeknight!

Would stay here again in a second.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Dear Egtwinmom,
Thanks for staying with us and taking the time to share these comments. I was delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay from start to finish and we will look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Venice, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

I recently spent one night at the Westin while visiting the Alexandria area. I arrived by car which I parked in front of the hotel where hotel valet parking is available for $28/night. I was greeted by the doorman who didn't offer to take my luggage.

I was warmly welcomed by the reception staff and the checkin process was swift and efficient. I was also provided an explanation of the various hotel features. The staff answered all my questions and accommodated my special requests. One feature I took advantage of was the free hotel shuttle van to bring me to Old town Alexandria. The area surrounding Westin Alexandria is all relatively new construction with a mix of residential, business offices and government offices. It was a ghost town on Sunday and there were very few open restaurants.

I had an Executive Suite located on the 4th floor that offered a view of the Federal Courthouse located directly across from the Westin. The room was very spacious and had all the features one would expect to find in an executive suite. The bed was most comfortable and had high quality linens, mattress and pillows. The curtains effectively darkened the room during daylight hours.

The bathroom was rather small for an executive suite and the bathtub resembled a wading pool as it was shallow and small. Bathroom amenities (shower gel, shampoo, hand soap etc.) were of high quality. I found the bath towels to be on the small size and rough on the skin. Water pressure in the sink was very weak; however the shower worked well. Wifi connection was available for a fee (free for certain Starwood members) and the service speedy. There was an adequate number of electric outlets to charge all my media devices.

I had breakfast in the Executive Lounge where I found a friendly attendant and a nice selection of breakfast items.

The lobby was huge and very spacious. All public areas were very clean. I utilized the business center located on the second floor to print out a document. There were several conference and banquet halls also located the second floor. I was informed that a fitness center and swimming pool is also available in the hotel, though I had no time to take advantage of these items.

The dining scene in the Westin's restaurant was confusing; especially on a Sunday where only a brunch was available. I wanted a simple sandwich for lunch, so I had to look elsewhere. I didn't notice if there was a bar/lounge in the hotel. I will return to the Westin Alexandria on future visits to the area.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Dear Mirto,
Thank you for staying with us and offering such incredible detail concerning your experience. While it appears that you did enjoy your stay, I did note in your comments a couple of opportunities that could be improved upon concerning our valet and restaurant. We will address those accordingly. Thanks again. It was great to know that your will be returning on your future visits and we will look forward to welcoming you back.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

1. About 3 blocks from Metro - free shuttle, but we felt safe walking back at night.
2. 20 - 25 minutes from DC.
3. Wi-Fi is $10, not free.
4. Double beds are full, not queen. VERY hard to fit two average sized people in one bed.
5. Sheets and pillows soft and comfy. Bath towels scratchy. Complimentary robe nice.
6. Front desk clerk Adrian (sp.?) very friendly, welcoming, and helpful.
7. Valet parking $26 a day. They should allow the guys to dress a little more weather appropriate. 94 degrees in a suit and tie? We felt bad for them.
8. Ditch the bordering Starbucks. Our "drug of choice" we drink Starbucks daily and everywhere we go. First time in our lives we through the coffee out, even after a second try. Staff rude and hard to understand.
9. Downtown Alexandria charming and quaint. Worth a visit.
10. Very clean, pretty hotel. Good stay.

Room Tip: Get the king size if sleeping two people. Roll outs are $35.
Green Features: You could opt for a $5 Starbucks voucher if you choose no room service - making up your beds, etc. We did, but would use it somewhere else other than the place next door.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Dear lilden,
Thanks for staying with us and offering so much detail regarding the hotel and your experience. We were glad to know that you had a good stay and found the hotel clean and attractive. We typically have one of the better rated Starbucks for service and quality, so it was disappointing to learn of your experience there. We will certainly review these comments with the team and address what can be improved. Thanks and we hope to see you again soon.
Ottawa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

Stayed there Aug 1-2nd. Service at the front desk was fast and friendly. There's a free shuttle provided by the hotel that takes you anywhere within 2 miles of the hotel - you can easily get to King St. this way (or walk) without paying the higher prices of the hotels in Old Town.
The room (569) was very clean with a good size shower and nice toiletries. Close to Reagan airport, far from Dulles.

Green Features: If you agree to skip room service, you get a $5 voucher for their restaurant. Had breakfast there, it was very good as was the service.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear travlbug,
Thanks for staying with us recently and taking the time to share these comments. I was delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay highlighted by our front desk staff and location. We hope to see you back again soon.
Bear, Delaware
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

This is the second time my wife and I stayed at this property. Our first visit was to celebrate our wedding anniversary and this most recent stay (from 7/31 thru 8/3) was to attend the International Convention of Jehovah's Witnesses at FedEx Field in Landover, MD. As expected, our room was comfortable, clean and enjoyable. The water pressure in the shower was great, the bed was extremely comfortable and allowed us to have a very restful sleep. The staff, especially at the front desk, was very pleasant and helpful.

There were some challenges, however, that I wanted to make you aware of. (1) The hotel did not appear to be ready to accomodate so many people, many of whom were attending the International Convention of Jehovah's Witnesses, as the valet parking was chaotic and disorderly. The bellmen seemed to be struggling to keep up. Some people waited over half an hour to have their vehicles retrieved. (2) There were insufficient baggage handling carts. In fact, there only appeared to be 2 or 3, which made check-in and check-out a nightmare. One bellman informed me that I would have to wait an hour for a baggage cart. As such, I had to make several trips with my luggage in hand since no carts were available. (3) I was concerned with the $10 'MISC' surcharge billed to my account for each night of my stay (totaling $30). Although very pleasant, the staff at the front desk could not explain this charge to my satisfaction. It was not properly categorized as a 'Room Tax' or 'State Tax' or anything that could be reasonably explained. As such, I reported this to the Rooming Department associated with our convention, as this seemed to be outside of the negotiated rates.

Other than the above referenced challenges, we enjoyed our stay at this property and would not hesitate to stay again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
WestinAlexndria, General Manager at Westin Alexandria, responded to this review, August 8, 2014
Dear Yakonthemove,
Thank you for staying with us during the Jehovah Witness International Convention. We're delighted that you enjoyed the stay and your interaction with our front desk staff in particular. I must admit that we were a bit overwhelmed as you point out on arrival day and could have been a bit better prepared. It was great to know that you will return and we will look forward to welcoming you back.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

We received excellent service from front desk when checking in. Young man serviced us and gave us super ideas for our stay and how to get around. I forgot his name, but a really cheery, helpful person! Room was very clean, attractive and beds were heavenly!

The only negative was the location on a weekend. The bagel store, on the corner, was closed both Sat & Sun. That was our issue, however, not a hotel issue. Must be more of a mon-fri/ business location.

We will be looking for Westin properties in the future.

Stayed July 2014
WestinAlexndria, General Manager at Westin Alexandria, responded to this review, August 3, 2014
Dear mom2ry,
Thank you for staying with us recently and taking the time to share your thoughts. We were delighted to learn about your positive experience with our front desk staff and that your stay on the whole was excellent. Hope to see you back again soon.
Rich Casale

Been to Westin Alexandria? Share your experiences!