“Very Comfortable and Smells Divine” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #18 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
Atlanta, Georgia
“Very Comfortable and Smells Divine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

The staff was helpful. The room was very comfortable and cute. There are lots of shops and restaurants within walking distance. It's also within walking distance of the metro station. I'd stay here again and again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
WestinAlexndria, General Manager at Westin Alexandria, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Dear QEK,

Thank you for staying with us recently and taking the time to share your thoughts. We were delighted to learn that all went well and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Rich Casale

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Green Cove Springs, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

This was our third time staying at this hotel for a family reunion during a holiday weekend. It is quiet with a friendly staff. The room was clean with modern furnishings. It is located within walking distance to the King Street Metro for city transportation. They also have a free hotel shuttle we used for quick trips to restaurants and stores. There is no free daytime parking available, except on Sundays when using on-street parking. The hotel offers valet parking, however, we chose to park in a nearby public parking garage that charged $10 per day on weekdays. There is no free WiFi and hot morning breakfast. This hotel is located in an area of Alexandria catering to stays during the work week. A lot of the nearby restaurants are closed during the weekend, which makes it hard to find close options. We visited Whole Foods Market and the nearby Starbucks a lot. The small, indoor pool and workout center was nice and there is a park across the street that allowed our small children a nice place to play. All in all, a comfortable stay for our family of four.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thomas P, Director of Operations at Westin Alexandria, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Dear Marcie, Thank you for staying with us once again and sharing your feedback. I hope you were able to enjoy your stay and had a great family reunion. Thank you for your loyalty and we will look forward to welcome you back in the near future! Thomas Poteau, Director of Operations.
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

The staff and service at this hotel were exceptional and really set the tone for a nice stay. The location near the King Street Metro station (walkable but not across the street) also was a big plus. Couple this with decent shuttle service that will take you to the Metro or most anyplace else in Old Town and it sets itself up as a very convenient place to stay. We flew in to Reagan/National and took a cab on the way in because it was late (only complaint about the shuttle is it could run later into the evening...think it stops at 10PM). On our way out it was an easy shuttle and train ride (two stops) back to the airport.

The hotel itself was very nice and very well priced. We paid $89 plus taxes and fees on the weekend. (Valet parking was $26/night so leave the car/rental behind and use the shuttle/train). Decent rooms and comfortable beds but more in a high end chain kind of way rather than a luxury chain as many associate Westin with. The workout facility was well equipped (both weights and cardio) but the pool was laughable...think large bathtub. The restaurant and bar at the hotel were also decent but with so many great choices just a shuttle ride away I'm not sure I'd recommend it as a destination, but it will do in a pinch!

All in all a very nice stay, in a great location with easy access to transportation.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Dear terrapinproud, Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to share your feedback. I am glad to read you enjoyed your stay with us. I understand your concerns about the pool size. although we could benefit from a larger size we are limited with the space. I know old town has alot of different dining option but you certainly don't want to miss our Trademark restaurant and some key feature items we are known for. Our bacon candy is to die for (if you like bacon) ! We hope to see you soon. Thomas Poteau, Director of Operations.
Akron, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

I stayed here for business, after my colleague and I were finished we checked out and left our bags with the bellman so we could go sightseeing before our flight. I became ill while sightseeing and we returned to the hotel to rest in the lobby and wait for our flight. The bellman gave me a blanket and pillow and I laid down on an out of the way coach. The manager came by and gave us our room back so I could rest. I am so appreciative! Bravo to the manager and staff, they truly went above and beyond. I will stay here again for pleasure and business.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear sridgemom, Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to share your feedback. I remember interacting with you and I am glad I was able to put you back in your room for much needed rest. Hopefully it allowed you to rest and made you feel better. I hope you will be able to come back soon and fully enjoy the sightseeing this time. Thomas Poteau, Director of Operations.
South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

We took a moderate gamble through Hotwire (choosing non-smoking hotels) and figured this was the hotel we'd get and, sure enough, it was. It's convenient to the Alexandria Amtrak station and the King Street metro station, so we never needed a car. The hotel does have a shuttle but you won't need it unless you're really pressed for time (note: it does only go up and down the short road of Alexandria, not into DC proper).

Our room was clean and the staff was very good. Nothing at all to complain about and believe me, I can usually find something to complain about.

Plus, if you're a Starwood Preferred Guest (it's free to join), you can get complimentary Wi-Fi.

Only thing that was a little off was the town itself. On weekends, it's a little tough to find places open for breakfast, so we paid the price at the hotel restaurant on Sunday.

Oh, wait, I can find a tiny quibble. The kids wanted to go swimming and to get into the spa. Apparently, they don't allow kids in there, which meant we never went back to the pool room again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear SCdad, Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to share your feedback. I am glad we were you lucky selected hotel! it looks like you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to get around the area. In regards to the pool area, the only age limitation is on the hot tub. All kids of all ages are free to use the pool as long as they wish! We hope to see you again soon. Thomas Poteau, Director of Operations.
Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

Great location. Close to King Street Metro. Nice rooms. Expensive internet, luckily I carry my own wifi hotspot. Room service needs improvement. Not consistent with replacing coffee, water, shampoo, etc.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear Sleal75, Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to share your feedback. I am sorry to read you had some challenges with the room service and the consistency in replacing our amenities. I will make sure your feedback gets passed along to my leaders so we can address it as soon as possible. Hope to see you back again soon and please do not hesitate to ask for me as I would welcome an opportunity to meet you. Thomas Poteau, Director of Operations.
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

I have stayed at the Westin Alexandria several times because of work and I was just there for a non-profit board meeting. The hotel is comfortable and well appointed. The staff is helpful and cheerful. The Hotel is a few blocks and slightly uphill from the King Street Metro so walking is not ideal if you have heavy luggage. The locations is also slightly orthogonal to King (where all the action is) street itself. I am a fairly fit and brisk walker and it takes 25 minutes to reach the Alexandria waterfront. I do not mind this as it is quieter around the hotel and I am not there to sightsee but it is something to consider if you are visiting on vacation. Unlike the Embassy Suites and the Holiday Inn (both closer to the action), the Westin does not provide breakfast or afternoon snacks. The bar/restaurant is nice but pricey. The rooms are comfortable - my room on the 4th floor was very quiet - but the view was a sea of roof over the 3rd floor meeting space. The hotel was not very full and it would have been kind of them to give me a higher room with a view. One weird note: I received an email the day before checking that I could upgrade my room to the Club floor for $20 - I called in very ready to do this only to be informed that the Club is not open on the weekends and for my $20 I would get a voucher for breakfast! Really? Back to some positives - the room had a fridge and there is a Whole Foods within walking distance so I bought food and had breakfast both mornings of my stay for $10 - and much healthier! Be aware the hotel is "pet-friendly" so be ready for the sound of animals parking in their rooms while their owners cruise the Potomac.

Room Tip: for a view ask for a room on higher floor.