“Really Nice Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
Brooklyn
“Really Nice Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

I have stayed here 6 times since July and have not been disappointed once! The rooms are clean and easy to work in and they are really comfortable. The staff was great each visit. It is easy to get to from the Metro from either King Street or Eisenhower Ave. It is not too far from King Street, where most of the restaurants are located and the shopping is, but it is more quiet - if that is what you are looking for.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
WestinAlexndria, General Manager at Westin Alexandria, responded to this review, November 3, 2013
Dear Ann D,
Thank you for staying with us recently and for taking the time to share your thoughts. I was delighted to learn that you are a frequent guest and that your experiences have been very good time and again, particularly with our rooms and our staff. Thanks so much for your confidence and support. I hope to have the opportunity to meet you are some point in the future. Please do not hesitate to ask for me next time in.

508 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
McMurray, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

We stayed here as part of a package for Marine Corp Marathon runners. The hotel is beautiful and the location is very convenient near King Street and the Metro. Parking is very limited for check in and somewhat dangerous as you are left to park in the street with traffic passing by. We arrived, checked in, and put our luggage on a cart to be brought to our room. Our room was clean with very nice linens on the bed. After waiting several minutes, we had to call the desk and inquire where our luggage was as we wanted to change clothes and unpack.

We decided to have dinner in the hotel to relax before the marathon. My husband tried to order 3 different beers on tap and they were out of them all. The one that was recommended and available, he did not enjoy. Our meals were slow to arrive, but I did enjoy my turkey burger and my husband liked his chicken sandwich. The fries that came with the meal were disappointing - like fast food fries. We should have went with the coleslaw. After all our dishes were cleared and a 20 minute wait, we finally had to flag down the manager for our check. We stopped in the restaurant for a cocktail before our dinner reservations and had a similar experience - a long wait for service and another long wait for our bill.

The staff at check-in assured us that a shuttle would begin running at 6am on Sunday - a special early time to accommodate marathon runners. When several runners gathered in the lobby at 6am, they were told the shuttle did not start until 7am - not good. My husband went to the desk and explained what was promised. The hotel did manage to get a driver for the shuttle, but he did not know how to get to the Metro. All this confusion was not helpful to people trying to get focused to run 26.2 miles.

I left the room at 8:30 am to travel on the Metro to the race and the shuttle driver dropped me off without a problem. We returned at 2:30 pm after the race, looking forward to a shower and changing clothes...but our room had not been cleaned. My husband called the desk and ask that the room be cleaned in the next 30 minutes. Luckily there is an indoor pool, so he changed into his suit and we went there to wait. The room was ready when we returned about 45 minutes later.

Our last issue with this hotel was with the package offered to the marathon runners. The price for valet parking was reduced which was nice. My husband was asked if wanted an Internet connection as well. He did but at no time was a price mentioned for this service, so he thought it was part of the marathon package. We found out later that we were charged $10 a day. When this was discussed at the desk at checkout, they explained there is always a charge for Internet, but after further conversation removed it from the bill.

My husband booked us at this hotel for a very special experience as part of his marathon run. There were just too many issues with the staff for us to say we enjoyed our stay here. We plan a return trip to DC but we will be staying elsewhere. The level of service and staffing offered here was not what we expected from a Westin.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Carriew,
Thank you for staying with us during Marathon weekend and for taking the time to share these comments. Clearly we could have been better prepared and done a much better job in servicing you. Your experience in our restarant and with our shutlle service in particular were simply unacceptable and I would like to extend my sincere apologies for the inconveniences. This feedback is very helpful to us. We host a large group of Marathon runners every year and will certainly pay much better attention to the items you point out for next year. I do hope you might consider returning and would welcome you to reach out to me personally as I would like to look after your arrangements next time in. Thanks again for taking the time to share this with us and again my apologies.
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

We usually stay on King Street when in Alexandria but chose to stay in a different area closer to the Metro on this visit. The Westin is located near the Pattern & Trade Commission and is very quiet over the weekend. The room was nicely appointed and the front desk and parking valets were very pleasant and helpful. I would go back.

Room Tip: Large hotel so ask for a quiet room if you are a light sleeper. We did and this request was accommo...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
WestinAlexndria, General Manager at Westin Alexandria, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Dear TravelWestport,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us for your visit to Alexandria this time. We appreciate your comments and were glad to know that you enjoyed your accomodations as well as the friendliness and service of our front desk and valet staff. Look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

We traveled by train and metro for a long weekend in Alexandria, so this was well located only a 5 minute walk from the King St Metro station. This is also easy to go into DC, $3-4 each way on the Metro. We also liked the location a few blocks away from the hustle of King St. Lobby is impressive with large wooden clock. Check in and out were fast and easy. Room was ample size with safe, iron, coffee maker and mini fridge, but no mini-bar. Bed was comfortable, we had an upper floor room which we found to be quiet, no problem sleeping well. Bath was typical size, one sink, shower in tub. Shower is overhead deluge type with additional hand held wand. The usual toiletries, hair dryer and magnifying mirror in bath. Green plan is $5 credit if no housekeeping for the day, credit good at hotel restaurant and at Starbucks located next door. Room service was quick and friendly. Fitness room has 7-8 cardio machines, a Universal and free weights. The room has floor to ceiling windows and mirrors, so it is clean and bright with towels and water. Pool is small and heated, hot tub also in pool area. Pool only open after 4 pm weekdays. Our sole problem was Saturday the Direct TV was not working for a number of stations, including for the game we wanted to watch.

Room Tip: We found our upper floor room to be quiet and elevator service to be rapid.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Sear jisabr,
Thank you for staying with us recently and taking the time to share your comments. It sounds like you enjoyed our location with ease to the Metro and DC. Your extensive description of our hotel and amenities is appreciated and I hope you had an opportunity to take advantage of all. My apologies for the Direct TV hickup. We hope to see you again soon.
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

No complaints, great property. Its a bit of a hike to King Street for any sort of night life, but they do have a shuttle that will take you down there. The shuttle will also take you to the Metro Station if you need to go to D.C. but won't take you directly to the airport. All in all no complaints other than the front desk being slow at checkin and checkout.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Chris B,
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to share your comments. My apologies for the delay in your check in/check out. I was glad to know that you generally enjoyed the hotel and took note to our shuttle service available in and around Old Town and to the Metro. Hopefully you had an opportunity to take advantage of it. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Arnold, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

I stayed at this property for my niece's wedding weekend. The hotel was upscale, clean and lovely. The room and bath were classy and comfortable. The staff were friendly and helpful. The only drawback was the parking situation. The only option was valet parking and although the service was attentive it was a bit slow. The wedding reception was held at the hotel and was wonderful.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear Maureen,
Thank you for staying with us. I was glad to know you enjoyed your accomodations and our staff and that all went well with wedding reception. We hope to see you back again soon.
Atlanta, GA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for one night in September 2013. When I checked in, I immediately went up to my assigned guestroom, and I noticed that the air was not working. I called the front desk who sent a engineer up to my room. The engineer could not fix the problem, so I had to switch my room. Ugh…what a pain. When I arrived to the new room, I noticed that it was not the same as the original room. The original room had a sofa, but the new one did not. Since I was only there one night, I didn’t make a fuss about it.

The hotel is just 3/4 blocks from the King Street metro station, and it’s just a short walk from the shops/bars/restaurants on King Street. The hotel even offers a shuttle service within a certain radius.

The Trademark restaurant adjoins the hotel, and it’s actually pretty good. I ate brunch there, and I really enjoyed their selection of brunch items. Their regular menu seems to be pretty extensive as well, especially their drink selections.

All in all, I had a good stay; however, with all of the other hotels in the area, I can’t say that I enjoyed my stay enough to stay here again.

Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
WestinAlexndria, General Manager at Westin Alexandria, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Dear QTPyePop,
Thank you for staying with us recently and taking the time to share your comments. I was glad to know you enjoyed our location and your experience in Trademark. I did want to extend my apologies for the inconviences related to the air not working properly in the room and hope that we extended ourselves enough in the process of making a room change for you. Thanks again. Please feel free to reach out to me personally when you might have an opportunity to visit again as I would like to look after your accomodations.
Rich Casale

Been to Westin Alexandria? Share your experiences!