“Way Beyond My Expectations....” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #19 of 49 Hotels in Alexandria
Corona, New York
“Way Beyond My Expectations....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I stayed at this hotel during the Labor Day weekend compliments of a vacation ownership presentation. I must say I was thoroughly impressed. Check in was a breeze and so easy. The concierge was very respectful. The room was absolutely amazing, especially for a standard room. Very comfortable king size bed; flat screen TV; work station with enough outlets; mini sitting area with little table, seat and foot stool; ironing board w/iron; safe; mini refrigerator; modern bathroom with all the amenities including hair dryer and bathrobe; most importantly plenty of space. I thought I was in a suite rather than a standard room.

I did my research online prior to departure and they mention they care about the environment, and they really do. Case in point, they had a door hanger that I could hang in front of the door refusing housekeeping. As a result I would receive a $5 dollar coupon that I could use towards food and beverages at restaurants around the hotel vicinity, for each night. I received 2 coupons during my stay, for a total of $10. There is a Starbucks right around the corner from the hotel and I was able to use my coupons there. I would say that was the best part of my stay and I think all hotels should do that as an incentive. Way to go Westin!

Check out was a breeze and I had the option of having my receipt email, which they did and I received it right away.

I highly recommend staying at this hotel, if you are ever in the Alexandria area. It was way beyond my expectations and you will not be disappointed!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Thomas P, Manager at Westin Alexandria, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Dear KrazySexyCool007

Thank you for choosing the Westin Alexandria as your preferred location while visiting Alexandria. I was glad to read you enjoyed your room and the efficiency of our service.
Starwood Hotels & Resorts is committed to reduce our carbon footprint with an agressive goal that we call 30/20 by 20 meaning we are committed to reducing our energy consumption by 30 percent and water consumption by 20 percent by 2020. In return of declining housekeeping services, we are pleased to offer you with a $5 credit to any of our Food & Beverage venues of our hotel.
Thomas Poteau
Director of Oeprations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Mississauga, ON
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

We loved our room and the amenities in the hotel. From the lobby to the gym, everything is well appointed. The valet service was quick and all of the attendants were super friendly. The internet was expensive and unreliable, rather unacceptable in 2013. We paid $35 for four days and then could only get a signal in the doorway of the bathroom of our room, not exactly convenient. There was a bit of an issue with housekeeping, it was a gamble as to how many towels would be placed in the bathroom each day, the number seemed to decrease as the week went on. All towels were collected each day even if they were hung-up or unused, which seemed a bit wasteful and contrary to the usual Westin practice. Room service was great, the food was delicious and as always the service was excellent! The hotel is conveniently located in terms of access to the highway. There is a Starbucks just around the corner from the front door, perfect for grabbing a latte on the way out. Anything we needed during our stay was taken care of, the staff without exception were incredibly helpful and friendly. We would stay here again if we ensure that we could get proper wifi access in our room.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Lizzie222

Thank you for chosing The Westin Alexandria for your accomodations while in Alexandria. I was pleased to read you liked our hotel and enjoyed your stay as well as the service we provided. I apologize for the inconsistency with the housekeeping service and I will address this with my team.
Your comments concerning the internet cost and reliability are appreciated. We do offer complimentary internet in and around the lobby area. We are also presently evaluating our offering in terms of technology and pricing. We hope to have some great news soon.
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.
Thomas Poteau
Director of Operations
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

I enjoyed a three day weekend stay at this hotel, Friday night to Monday. I thought the service was excellent, and any request I had was met. The room was spacious with all the Westin amenities - robes, toiletries and the comfy beds. The restaurant menu, I thought was well rounded. If you just wanted to have a glass of wine and a salad or something small, there was a good selection. Or, they had a three course dinner option as well. Something for everyone. It is in a very clean, safe neighbourhood. It's an easy walk from the King metro stop; a 7 minute walk to the Whole Foods at Jaimeson and Holland; and, if you are walking direct to the pier, it is a 35 minute walk from the hotel.

There is a strange noise problem, though. I chalk it up to shoddy construction. This hotel is part of a larger condo complex and seems to be very new. On my first night there, I could hear voices from the ventilation duct next to my bed. Not loud, but clearly people talking in one of the adjoining rooms. Not a big deal, I have a white noise app on my phone that I used, and it drowned the noise out. On the Saturday night, funny thing. I could feel the boom-boom-boom of a base or stereo. No music sound though, just the vibration of a surround sound speaker. It sounded like house music. For the life of me, I could not figure out where this was coming from. It was not in any of the rooms on either side of me, and not from outside, as my room faced a lower roof. Weird. My room was on the 7th floor. Sunday night was fine, as I guess not many people stay over on Sunday.

All that being said, I would stay here again - but I wouldn't buy a condo in that building!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
WestinAlexndria, General Manager at Westin Alexandria, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear SoloSpirit,
Thanks for staying with us. We appreciate you taking the time to share your comments and I was delighted to learn of your satisfaction with our service, amenties and restaurant experience. My apologies for the noise disruption. Periodically we do hear this. We try to react very quickly when brought to our attention to discover the source and resolve the problem. I was glad to know that you will return and we look forward to being of service again soon.
Memphis, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

Your opinion of Starwood Hotels and resorts is very important to us at the Starwood Preferred Guest® program. We appreciate you taking the time to write a review on The Westin Alexandria. Unfortunately your review did not meet our guidelines for posting on our site.

We could not post your review because it contained:

A reference to a Starwood-branded hotel.

We encourage you to review our guidelines and resubmit your review on The Westin Alexandria.

This hotel is not up to part with the rest of the Westin Hotels!

I was very disappointed. The room was nice (layout, bed comfort etc.). However, valet was not waiting outside. They were MIA each and EVERY time we arrived. The front desk clerk upon arrival was very professional. Each one after that was like talking to someone without a clue. We called down to see if the restaurant/bar was open for food and drinks and were told yes until midnight. After getting dressed and going downstairs we were told the kitchen was closed and they were serving alcohol only, and that we could order room service. The room service menu was minimal AND most of the items were unavailable. There were nats and fruit flies everywhere in the bathroom. The room was double bedded with ONE bathrobe. It was awful! My friends and I ALWAYS patron at the Westin -Dallas Galleria Westin- Atlanta Buckhead Westin -Atlanta Perimeter etc. This was the worst stay ever and we will NOT under any circumstances be at this Westin again! You're giving Westin a bad name!

• Stayed August 2013
Dear KeyShawna,
Thank you for staying with us. I am not sure why your posting was rejected initially as it was not intentional. We are checking into that. I was disappointed to learn of the inconveniences you experienced during your recent stay and want to extend my apologies. This is certainly not indicative of the service we typically provide. We value the feedback and will address the areas of opportunity. Thanks again.
Hickory, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

My husband and I enjoyed a comfortable stay at this hotel. It was very clean and we got a smart deal online. The city of Alexandria is just charming, and it is a few minutes walk from old Alexandria. I would definitely come back to this hotel as it is a fair deal. Good solid hotel with good price/quality ratio. It only seemed to lack that little extra that makes a good hotel great.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
WestinAlexndria, General Manager at Westin Alexandria, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
Dear TaylorS,
Thank you for staying with us and sharing your feedback. I was glad to know you enjoyed your stay and that you will return again. Look forward to seeing you again soon.
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

It's all true, from the spectacular lobby with 50 foot high ceilings, to the lively on site bar and restaurant, 4 fast elevators, comfy Westin beds, thick towels, rainwater showers, HD tv, and generally good service. And just steps away from the courthouse and the patent office.

You might quibble with the tiny 20-foot long swimming pool and the feeble low-flow bathroom sink faucets and the $ 26 daily valet parking fee. But overall, nothing much to complain about.

But -- why is a self styled luxury hotel that touts its luxurious pampering of guests, still insisting in 2013 on charging those guests $ 9.95 for an hour of WiFi, or $ 14.95 for a day of WiFi??

Hello Westin: this isn't the late 1990s. That thing called the Internet is no longer a coveted novelty worthy of a special fee. The budget hotels next to the truck stops alongside Interstate highways all have free WiFi. You can do that too.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear andsank,
Thank you for staying with us. I was glad to know that you enjoyed your stay. Your comments concerning the internet cost are appreciated. We do offer complimentary internet in and around the lobby area so as to accomodate a guests need in that regard and are presetnly evaluating pricing options concerning usage in the guest room . Thanks again for taking the time to share your thoughts.
San Diego, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

Back to the Patent Office for interviews and staying at my favorite hotel in Alexandria. Two blocks from the PTO, 1.5 miles from Old Town, great staff, decent bar, and good meeting facilities. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed August 2013
WestinAlexndria, General Manager at Westin Alexandria, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear JimM,
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to share your comments. I was glad to learn that you are enjoying the location convenience as well as our staff and service. We look forward to your future visits and I hope our paths will cross while you are staying with us.
Rich Casale

Been to Westin Alexandria? Share your experiences!