“A Consistent Westin Experience Hampered by Some Noise Issues” 4 of 5 stars

Special Deal
Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #17 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
Canada
“A Consistent Westin Experience Hampered by Some Noise Issues”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

I enjoyed a three day weekend stay at this hotel, Friday night to Monday. I thought the service was excellent, and any request I had was met. The room was spacious with all the Westin amenities - robes, toiletries and the comfy beds. The restaurant menu, I thought was well rounded. If you just wanted to have a glass of wine and a salad or something small, there was a good selection. Or, they had a three course dinner option as well. Something for everyone. It is in a very clean, safe neighbourhood. It's an easy walk from the King metro stop; a 7 minute walk to the Whole Foods at Jaimeson and Holland; and, if you are walking direct to the pier, it is a 35 minute walk from the hotel.

There is a strange noise problem, though. I chalk it up to shoddy construction. This hotel is part of a larger condo complex and seems to be very new. On my first night there, I could hear voices from the ventilation duct next to my bed. Not loud, but clearly people talking in one of the adjoining rooms. Not a big deal, I have a white noise app on my phone that I used, and it drowned the noise out. On the Saturday night, funny thing. I could feel the boom-boom-boom of a base or stereo. No music sound though, just the vibration of a surround sound speaker. It sounded like house music. For the life of me, I could not figure out where this was coming from. It was not in any of the rooms on either side of me, and not from outside, as my room faced a lower roof. Weird. My room was on the 7th floor. Sunday night was fine, as I guess not many people stay over on Sunday.

All that being said, I would stay here again - but I wouldn't buy a condo in that building!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
WestinAlexndria, General Manager at Westin Alexandria, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear SoloSpirit,
Thanks for staying with us. We appreciate you taking the time to share your comments and I was delighted to learn of your satisfaction with our service, amenties and restaurant experience. My apologies for the noise disruption. Periodically we do hear this. We try to react very quickly when brought to our attention to discover the source and resolve the problem. I was glad to know that you will return and we look forward to being of service again soon.

502 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Memphis, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

Your opinion of Starwood Hotels and resorts is very important to us at the Starwood Preferred Guest® program. We appreciate you taking the time to write a review on The Westin Alexandria. Unfortunately your review did not meet our guidelines for posting on our site.

We could not post your review because it contained:

A reference to a Starwood-branded hotel.

We encourage you to review our guidelines and resubmit your review on The Westin Alexandria.

This hotel is not up to part with the rest of the Westin Hotels!

I was very disappointed. The room was nice (layout, bed comfort etc.). However, valet was not waiting outside. They were MIA each and EVERY time we arrived. The front desk clerk upon arrival was very professional. Each one after that was like talking to someone without a clue. We called down to see if the restaurant/bar was open for food and drinks and were told yes until midnight. After getting dressed and going downstairs we were told the kitchen was closed and they were serving alcohol only, and that we could order room service. The room service menu was minimal AND most of the items were unavailable. There were nats and fruit flies everywhere in the bathroom. The room was double bedded with ONE bathrobe. It was awful! My friends and I ALWAYS patron at the Westin -Dallas Galleria Westin- Atlanta Buckhead Westin -Atlanta Perimeter etc. This was the worst stay ever and we will NOT under any circumstances be at this Westin again! You're giving Westin a bad name!

• Stayed August 2013
Dear KeyShawna,
Thank you for staying with us. I am not sure why your posting was rejected initially as it was not intentional. We are checking into that. I was disappointed to learn of the inconveniences you experienced during your recent stay and want to extend my apologies. This is certainly not indicative of the service we typically provide. We value the feedback and will address the areas of opportunity. Thanks again.
Hickory, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

My husband and I enjoyed a comfortable stay at this hotel. It was very clean and we got a smart deal online. The city of Alexandria is just charming, and it is a few minutes walk from old Alexandria. I would definitely come back to this hotel as it is a fair deal. Good solid hotel with good price/quality ratio. It only seemed to lack that little extra that makes a good hotel great.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
WestinAlexndria, General Manager at Westin Alexandria, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
Dear TaylorS,
Thank you for staying with us and sharing your feedback. I was glad to know you enjoyed your stay and that you will return again. Look forward to seeing you again soon.
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

It's all true, from the spectacular lobby with 50 foot high ceilings, to the lively on site bar and restaurant, 4 fast elevators, comfy Westin beds, thick towels, rainwater showers, HD tv, and generally good service. And just steps away from the courthouse and the patent office.

You might quibble with the tiny 20-foot long swimming pool and the feeble low-flow bathroom sink faucets and the $ 26 daily valet parking fee. But overall, nothing much to complain about.

But -- why is a self styled luxury hotel that touts its luxurious pampering of guests, still insisting in 2013 on charging those guests $ 9.95 for an hour of WiFi, or $ 14.95 for a day of WiFi??

Hello Westin: this isn't the late 1990s. That thing called the Internet is no longer a coveted novelty worthy of a special fee. The budget hotels next to the truck stops alongside Interstate highways all have free WiFi. You can do that too.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear andsank,
Thank you for staying with us. I was glad to know that you enjoyed your stay. Your comments concerning the internet cost are appreciated. We do offer complimentary internet in and around the lobby area so as to accomodate a guests need in that regard and are presetnly evaluating pricing options concerning usage in the guest room . Thanks again for taking the time to share your thoughts.
San Diego, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

Back to the Patent Office for interviews and staying at my favorite hotel in Alexandria. Two blocks from the PTO, 1.5 miles from Old Town, great staff, decent bar, and good meeting facilities. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed August 2013
WestinAlexndria, General Manager at Westin Alexandria, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear JimM,
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to share your comments. I was glad to learn that you are enjoying the location convenience as well as our staff and service. We look forward to your future visits and I hope our paths will cross while you are staying with us.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Our extended family visited Alexandria for a wedding this past weekend, and 14 of us stayed at the Westin. We chose the hotel because it offered an amazing pay-in-advance weekend rate, and because I had stayed here before on business and really recommended it. Every aspect of our stay was perfect. Hotel staff could not have been more friendly or accommodating. The concierge gave us great tips on finding things of interest. Rooms were clean and well-appointed. A minor repair was needed in one room and maintenance was up to fix it within five minutes. The hotel shuttle was conveniently available to take us at no charge to the wedding site (five minutes away, but we were traveling with seniors). The restaurant accommodated our large party for dinner and then again for breakfast the next day, and servers were courteous and did a great job. Food at both meals far exceeded that available at most hotel restaurants I've visited -- it was uniformly fresh and well prepared. We were really sad to leave and would stay here again in a flash.

Room Tip: You probably want to try for a high floor.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
WestinAlexndria, General Manager at Westin Alexandria, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear nycresident2010,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us recently and for taking the time to share these comments. I was delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay on so many levels. I hope we will have an opportunity to be of service again in the near future.
Davidsonville, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Our professional organization selected this hotel for a three-day board meeting for about 50 attendees. The location was convenient to transportation in the DC area. Rooms were large and well appointed. Dinning was limited to a bar/grill just off of the lobby. Food was limited but filling. However, the breakfasts and luncheons provided separately to the group were very good.

I highly recommend this property to friends and colleagues.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Fullimit,
Thanks for staying with us in conjunction with a recent conference. I was gald to know that you found the location convenient, our rooms comfortable and appreciate the overall recommendation. Given you are not too far away, I hope you might have the ooportunity to visit wiht us again soon.
Rich Casale

Been to Westin Alexandria? Share your experiences!