“Nice but basic” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 49 Hotels in Alexandria
Hickory, North Carolina
“Nice but basic”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

My husband and I enjoyed a comfortable stay at this hotel. It was very clean and we got a smart deal online. The city of Alexandria is just charming, and it is a few minutes walk from old Alexandria. I would definitely come back to this hotel as it is a fair deal. Good solid hotel with good price/quality ratio. It only seemed to lack that little extra that makes a good hotel great.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
WestinAlexndria, General Manager at Westin Alexandria, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
Dear TaylorS,
Thank you for staying with us and sharing your feedback. I was glad to know you enjoyed your stay and that you will return again. Look forward to seeing you again soon.
Rich Casale

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

It's all true, from the spectacular lobby with 50 foot high ceilings, to the lively on site bar and restaurant, 4 fast elevators, comfy Westin beds, thick towels, rainwater showers, HD tv, and generally good service. And just steps away from the courthouse and the patent office.

You might quibble with the tiny 20-foot long swimming pool and the feeble low-flow bathroom sink faucets and the $ 26 daily valet parking fee. But overall, nothing much to complain about.

But -- why is a self styled luxury hotel that touts its luxurious pampering of guests, still insisting in 2013 on charging those guests $ 9.95 for an hour of WiFi, or $ 14.95 for a day of WiFi??

Hello Westin: this isn't the late 1990s. That thing called the Internet is no longer a coveted novelty worthy of a special fee. The budget hotels next to the truck stops alongside Interstate highways all have free WiFi. You can do that too.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear andsank,
Thank you for staying with us. I was glad to know that you enjoyed your stay. Your comments concerning the internet cost are appreciated. We do offer complimentary internet in and around the lobby area so as to accomodate a guests need in that regard and are presetnly evaluating pricing options concerning usage in the guest room . Thanks again for taking the time to share your thoughts.
San Diego, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

Back to the Patent Office for interviews and staying at my favorite hotel in Alexandria. Two blocks from the PTO, 1.5 miles from Old Town, great staff, decent bar, and good meeting facilities. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed August 2013
WestinAlexndria, General Manager at Westin Alexandria, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear JimM,
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to share your comments. I was glad to learn that you are enjoying the location convenience as well as our staff and service. We look forward to your future visits and I hope our paths will cross while you are staying with us.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Our extended family visited Alexandria for a wedding this past weekend, and 14 of us stayed at the Westin. We chose the hotel because it offered an amazing pay-in-advance weekend rate, and because I had stayed here before on business and really recommended it. Every aspect of our stay was perfect. Hotel staff could not have been more friendly or accommodating. The concierge gave us great tips on finding things of interest. Rooms were clean and well-appointed. A minor repair was needed in one room and maintenance was up to fix it within five minutes. The hotel shuttle was conveniently available to take us at no charge to the wedding site (five minutes away, but we were traveling with seniors). The restaurant accommodated our large party for dinner and then again for breakfast the next day, and servers were courteous and did a great job. Food at both meals far exceeded that available at most hotel restaurants I've visited -- it was uniformly fresh and well prepared. We were really sad to leave and would stay here again in a flash.

Room Tip: You probably want to try for a high floor.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
WestinAlexndria, General Manager at Westin Alexandria, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear nycresident2010,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us recently and for taking the time to share these comments. I was delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay on so many levels. I hope we will have an opportunity to be of service again in the near future.
Davidsonville, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Our professional organization selected this hotel for a three-day board meeting for about 50 attendees. The location was convenient to transportation in the DC area. Rooms were large and well appointed. Dinning was limited to a bar/grill just off of the lobby. Food was limited but filling. However, the breakfasts and luncheons provided separately to the group were very good.

I highly recommend this property to friends and colleagues.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Fullimit,
Thanks for staying with us in conjunction with a recent conference. I was gald to know that you found the location convenient, our rooms comfortable and appreciate the overall recommendation. Given you are not too far away, I hope you might have the ooportunity to visit wiht us again soon.
Washingtonville, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

This luxury hotel is beautiful, well appointed and very clean. From the point of check-in everything was fabulous! Upon arrival we had lunch in the Trademark Restaurant, service and the food were great. You must have the Flock of Grilled Spiced Wings with a side of Tarragon Ranch-what a flavor profile! We were here on a family vacation so we traveled to DC, Maryland, and all over Old Town Virginia, the FREE Shuttle staff were very accommodating and informative. Our executive suite had breathtaking views of the city and was clean with subtle appointments throughout the rooms. Our Room Attendant was very nice, helpful,and respected our privacy when needed. But beyond this the General Manager Richard Casale, and his Director of Operations were first class captains of this outstanding ship! Now we have stayed in hotels all over the world with great service, but I have to acknowledge the front office team was simply amazing, I wish I could remember their names! they were very personable, helpful, funny and true professionals! I would recommend this hotel to anyone, and we will be back! P.S. my 8 year old daughter & I loved the pool! Keep up the great work Rich! L.Davis

Room Tip: Request a room that has views of the city, on higher floors.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear LanceD,
Thank you for staying with us recently and for your kind comments. I was so glad to learn of your wonderful experiences with our staff and certainly enjoyed running into you while you were here. Continued best and please come visit us again soon.
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

This hotel is very new, and that is obvious (and a nice feature for me at least). The building is nice and well designed. The room was good although I did have to call a couple of times because house keeping was a little sloppy (didn't bring fresh towels despite the old ones on the floor, left dirty glasses around and didn't bring fresh ones, etc). But that was rectified with a call to the front desk. I didn't sleep great there, but i'm not sure that was the fault of the westin as it wasn't an obvious source. The bed seemed comfortable, it wasn't loud etc. It is really convenient to the USPTO (my reason) and the court house there. It's close to the metro, about 2-3 blocks although there are hotels that are a little closer/more convenient (the hilton and embassy suites for example). But since it isn't right across the street from the metro it doesn't have trouble with noise. The pool is a bit of an after thought, like they went "well, we have to have a pool so let's just stick it in this corner" but i found that issue with other hotels in big cities so maybe that's a common thing. It is nice to have an indoor pool in the middle of winter but I would love to have one where the actual pool area is inviting and comfortable. I found the breakfast option confusing, it wasn't clear at all to me where breakfast would be or that it was even really an option. I saw room service but was under the impression that there wasn't a breakfast place. Not a huge deal as I am familiar with the area and knew where things like starbucks and whole foods are but i found out later that they do have a restaurant for breakfast. They should make that clearer either at check in or in the guide in the room ('cause I did look). All in all I would say it's a good option in that area of alexandria.

Room Tip: i think based on the location and layout any room would be fine
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
WestinAlexndria, General Manager at Westin Alexandria, responded to this review, August 4, 2013
Dear megs,
Thanks for staying with us and taking the time to share your comments. I was glad to hear that we are conveniently located to the work you are doing with the Trade Office and Courthouse. We have a bit of work to do with housekeeping judging from your comments and we will concentrate some efforts there. Concerning breakfast, we do serve that everyday in our Trademark Restaurant located just off of our lobby. Not sure where the confusion came in concerning that but would welcome more feedback. Hope to see you again soon.
Rich Casale

Been to Westin Alexandria? Share your experiences!