“Great Experience - All Around” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #17 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
New Jersey
“Great Experience - All Around”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2008

Just completed a great stay at this well-appointed hotel with outstanding service. Top-notch Westin experience - clean, new, very comfortable and stylish. Great work space, to include internet access quality. As a newer hotel, all areas are clean, neat and pleasant.

Of particular note was the attentiveness of the staff. My room was upgraded without request, the concierge had a pre-printed running route in my hnds before I finished asking, and smiles were in abundance. Of particular note was a staff member in the lobby who heard my colleague express frustration over her inability to have breakfast - she mentioned to me that she needed a bagel and a soft drink along our trip. Before we could pull away from the hotel, there was a knock on the window - this staff member overheard my colleague and took the initiative to obtain a soft drink and a bagel and package it for her trip.

The location is great - a 5-10 minute walk from the Amtrak and Metro stations.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Baltimore, MD
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2008

This hotel is new and 'looks' attractive but the staff is extremely inexperienced and unaware of how to properly handle problems. First, parking is valet-only and costs $24/day. I was traveling with 3 other people, were we had 4 separate rooms. For some reason they had us booked as sharing rooms. They had 4 available rooms but still had us standing in lobby for over 30 minutes while they stared are the computer and didn't know how to handle the situation. Everything was extra, water was not complimentary, internet is $10/day, and $7 for only 15 minutes in business center, there are like 7 men to greet and help you at the door and then the front desk has 6 computers with one employee. One of the members of our party arrived to his room to find it not cleaned up from the previous occupant. But the final kicker for me was when I checked out and they told me that my credit card was declined. I knew that this wasn't the case so I called my credit card company and learned that the Westin Hotel had 12 charges to my account totaling $4800. I went to the manager to complain and they really never took any blame and couldn't explain it. Unfortunately, my card was locked for over 24 hours. The staff was extremely young and inexperienced. They never made any consolation to me and never even offered. I will NEVER stay at another Westin property.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — poor service, rude staff, charges for everything, poor cell phone service
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Piscataway, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2008

We stayed at the Westin Alexandria from April 11-13, 2008. We were extremely pleased with the hotel - a new luxury hotel. The staff is well trained and friendly.

The service was excellent from check in until the check out. Valet parking is $25 a night but they were very fast and helpful.

The hotel is very new, modern, and is an excellent location in Old Town Alexandria. It is in easy walking distance from some restaurants and the Metro.

We booked a king room. It was perfectly clean and well appointed. Bedding was typical for the Westin chain, which is indeed heavenly! The room had a nice sitting area and a large flat panel HDTV. Noise was never an issue and our room has a view of other buildings...not too bad.

The bathroom was spotless. The two showerheads - Westin Heavenly Bath - were great!

Highly recommended.

• Liked — service, location
  • Disliked — none
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2008

Overall a good experience here.

The staff were very helpful to our group, many of whom had special needs. They were attentive to many details and requests we made.

The rooms were nice with large flat panel tv's and the beds were very comfortable.

The hotel is expensive but so is every hotel in the DC metro area. The amenities in the business center are very expensive. To print a single page costs $1.

The location is a bit isolated. The hotel is NOT in Old Town. It is at minimum a 10 minute walk from there.

One problem that many of us experienced was terrible cell phone service while in the hotel. I know that is not the fault of the hotel but it is something they should be made aware.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dallas, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2008

I stayed at the Westin Alexandria from April 10-14, 2008. I was extremely pleased with the hotel. The service at check-in was excellent. The hotel is very new and is an excellent location in Old Town Alexandria. It is in easy walking distance from some restaurants and the Metro. The hotel's restaurant is also wonderful, and I enjoyed delicious, if expensive, breakfasts there each morning as well as one evening meal that was wonderful.

My room was very comfortable. In fact, I am considering purchasing some of the bedding components, as they are available for sale. The temperature was comfortable, the widescreen television was better than mine at home, and the bathroom was clean and modern. My only complaint with the bathroom is the lighted mirror. The lights are incredibly unflattering, so be prepared to be alarmed at your appearance, especially first thing in the morning!

I experienced no problems with noise from adjacent rooms, although I could hear movement. Perhaps my neighbors were just quiet.

• Liked — The comfortable bed
  • Disliked — Lighting in the bathroom.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with friends
bochum
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2008

Stayed at Westin in early march 2008 and we were very impressed of this modern hotel.
Arrived at front door , where valet parking is 25 bugs a night. we parked round the corner for free. Got a nice room at 7th floor.very new room.
visited the spa area which is very poor. no atmosphere and i think still under construction. we would come back again. we payed 80 bugs a night with priceline. thats very fair.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Huntington, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2008

I stayed at this property for three nights while there for a conference. The room was booked by corporate travel at the conference rate of $189. This is significantly below the rack rate for this facility.

The property is located in a recently renovated part of Alexandria. It is well lit, clean and safe. It is a ten minute walk to the nearest Metro station, although the station is a little hidden from the hotel. The development of restaurants in the area has not kept up with the hotel and offices. As a result, one must walk a considerable distance from the hotel to the variety of restaurants along King Street in Old Town. This should be a consideration for anyone wishing to spend much time there. In inclement weather, or for those with disabilities, a cab ride, with typical urban fares, would be a must.

As mentioned in previous reviews, the property is new, having opened in November 2007. It is of contemporary design and layout.

The lobby is spacious, spotless and over two stories high. The centerpiece is an unusual wooden clock some fifteen feet high. The air in this Westin lobby, as in other properties in the chain, is lightly scented and exudes cleanliness. Several small sitting areas are in the lobby and lights are dimmed each evening with the addition of multiple lit candles. Quite a nice touch.

Check-in was flawless with everything ready when I arrived. I had my key card and was on my way within one minute. The staff was well dressed, very competent, and obviously service oriented.

Interior hallways are clean, quiet and well lit. There is quite the distance from the block of elevators to the ends of each hallway. Speaking of elevators, the service was prompt. With multiple elevators serving one area, I waited no longer than one minute at anytime during my stay.

I was assigned to a king room. It was perfectly clean and well appointed. Bedding was typical for the Westin chain, which is indeed heavenly. The room had a nice sitting area and a large flat panel HDTV. As mentioned by previous reviewers, my room overlooked a construction site – noise was never an issue.

The bathroom was spotless and very well appointed, again typical for the Westin brand. Interestingly, there were as absence of drawers or other storage space. This could be an issue for long stays. Water pressure was below average for this price point. The two showerheads, typical for the Westin Heavenly Bath, were present but were not really usable simultaneously.

Housekeeping service was spotty during my stay. After my first night I returned to the room at 6:00 PM to discover that service had not yet been provided. I called Service Express and the operator apologized profusely. A housekeeper was in the room within fifteen minutes and provided all necessary service. After my second night service was provided early in the day, but toiletries were not replenished in the bath. Again, a call to Service Express corrected the omission, but this should simply not occur at this type of property two days in a row.

As mentioned by previous reviewers, cell service inside this hotel is sorely lacking. Numerous colleagues spoke of this issue, and it crossed all carriers. This is unacceptable in a hotel that caters to business travelers in the DC market. Wireless internet service, at $9.00 per day, was slower than most. Frankly, I have had better service for free at Hampton level properties.

Conference service was very good. Meeting rooms were comfortable and well appointed. Staff was helpful, but not overbearing. There was a lack of room/table cleaning during breaks. This led to tables full of cans and glasses by the end of the day.

Banquet food service was well above average, even for the Westin. Across the board, conference attendees bragged on the food, both quality and variety. In both buffet and table service settings, this was a high point.

I took advantage of room service one evening. Service was prompt, polite and the food presentation was excellent. The pricing was appropriate for the property.

Check-out was flawless and the final bill did not contain any errors. Again, the desk clerks were most professional and polite, thanking me for my business and inviting me back.

This is a very good property that is having some slight growing pains. I trust that as time progresses that the small issues I encountered will see correction. At the rack rate price point, this would be a necessity.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Poor cellular service inside the property.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Westin Alexandria? Share your experiences!