“Good, not great visit...” 3 of 5 stars

Special Deal
Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #18 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
Detroit, Michigan
“Good, not great visit...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I visited this property for a three night stay in mid-July. The hotel is still reasonably new. I bunked here in late 2007 and early 2008 when it had just opened. (Also, full disclosure: I am an SPG Gold level guest, and also a Starwood shareholder.)

This was not a perfect stay for me, but I’ll still return. My issues were quite minor, but cumulatively were an annoyance.

First the good: The property was immaculately kept. Bathrooms (both in my room and public ones) were sparkling clean. Sidewalks around the property were also kept clean. The bell staff was hustling and keeping cars in motion at the porte cochere.

The location in Carlyle is excellent, a short walk from the King Street Metro station. They do offer a shuttle service too/from that Metro stop, and the immediate surrounding area.

Although my meetings meant I had dinner out each evening, a couple of us did have drinks in the Westin’s Trademarks bar/restaurant. The service there was crisp and pleasant.

The rooms are standard issue Westin, with a great bed and nicely appointed furniture. Wifi strength was good, and there was also a hardwire option available. The aircon was great, and it chilled my room nicely!

Now, a couple of minor issues. (And, as frequent readers of my postings know, I never post negative comments about a property without first speaking with a hotel manager. In this instance, I have shared my issues directly with the Director of Operations.)

I currently have a minor fracture in my ankle, and am in an airsplint. I had called the Westin a week or so out, and explained that I’d need help. The Manager I spoke to then told me to ring the hotel from the Reagan Airport station, and they’d have a shuttle waiting for me at King Street (two stops from airport). I called the hotel from inside a Metro train, at Reagan. They transferred me to the driver, who told me to call back when I was on the sidewalk at King Street. Sure enough, I was there in 5 minutes, and waited in the 90F+ heat for 15 minutes for the Shuttle to arrive. Bad first impression.

I was given an upgrade to the Club Lounge, and was very surprised to learn that they do not offer beer or wine for sale. The Embassy Suites a block over has a very robust Happy Hour every evening, so this took me aback. The ladies working there were very friendly, but no evening beverages. Also, in the morning, I was disappointed to not find any newspapers in the Lounge… not even USAToday.

Speaking of newspapers, I was surprised that they were so difficult to find. Newspapers were placed in one stack next to the entrance to the restaurant, and they only had USAToday... no WSJ or WashPost. In almost every hotel I stay in in the US (and 95% abroad) newspapers are either delivered to the door, or at the least, to the elevator lobby on each floor. In many hotels, there's more than one choice of paper.

The water pressure in the sink in my bathroom was a victim of a low-flow faucet. I understand the intent, but this was pretty bad.

When I purchased a postcard in the gift shop, the young lady couldn't be bothered to take off her ear plugs or stop her phone call to handle my purchase. I hope I didn't interfere with her call too much...

Then, there was the banner… There is a large banner in the lobby advertising the new SPG Gold Benefits, and Gold Welcome Gift. No one mentioned this to me, nor offered such things to me during my check-in or stay, or check-out.

Finally, when I checked out at 8a, I asked the Front Desk Agent to speak with the Manager on Duty (to share my concerns), and was told that such a person wasn't in yet. I became more specific to ask who was in charge, and he said that person would be in later. I suspect the GM would be a bit surprised to find that the hotel is operating at 8a with no one in charge.

So, for this stay, I had a very mixed Westin experience... I had Westin comfort and cleanliness, that was great. BUT, I experienced a series of small issues which resulted in an overall disappointing stay. I compare this property against the Hilton down the street, the Residence Inn on Duke Street and the Embassy Suites at the Metro, all of which I’ve stayed at.

YES, I will return here… the folks I do business with are in Carlyle and they have a great corporate rate. I’m back in September, so I hope they’ll have addressed some of these items.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
WestinAlexndria, General Manager at Westin Alexandria, responded to this review, July 28, 2013
Dear Chauncey_Gardiner,
Thank you for staying with us and for taking to time to share your comments. The amount of detail that you shared is very valuable as we strive to improve and I am glad to know that you had an opportunity to share this same feedback with our Director of Operations before leaving. I know he appreciated meeting you. It sounds like you will be returning and I welcome you to reach out to me prior to your next stay. I certainly would like to look after your accommodations and hope that we might have an opportunity to meet at that time. Thanks again.

502 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Saint Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

The Westin, Alexandria has some work to do. The 3 day experience was filled with ups and downs, but the downs won. The staff is extremely hit and miss - our check-in was terrible, our check-out fine.

The first night my husband went to the front desk to let them know that the promised "in-room" safe, was not in our room. They asked him to go back to the room to check - saying that it was behind the dresser door on the right - it wasn't. He checked again and called back down to let them know. Their response was - "well, we'll try to locate one for you - do you really need it?" WHAT? Yes we need it - we had planned 3 full days of sightseeing and wanted our valuables to be contained. They told us that we could put our valuables behind the front desk instead. No way...

The restaurant was nice and accommodated our 15 and 12 year old kids - we were too tired to walk to Old Town Alexandria for dinner so we stayed in the hotel - the food and service were not disappointing.

The room (a double) was small but fresh and contemporary, however room towels were not replaced every day as requested, the coffee service wasn't replaced as it should have been, the shampoo/conditioner and soap were not replaced and the ice bucket disappeared after the first night.

The pool on the 3rd floor is extremely small and children are not welcome - that was our experience. The lifeguard was very rude and extremely unfriendly. After one visit, we bagged the pool idea - one of the reasons we booked this hotel.

Our next family visit to the DC area will not include the Westin, Alexandria.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Amy C,
Thank you for staying with us recently and taking the time to share your comments. I want to extend my sincere apologies for some of the inconveniences you experienced. We would have liked for you to have had a much better stay. Concerning the fact that your room was not serviced sets me to wondering if you might have opted for our Green Choice program which does not call for the housekeeper to service the room everyday. That information would be valuable to know as that or a DO NOT DISTURB are the only reasons why we would not service a room. Your feedback is much appreciated and helps us in our efforts to continually improve. Thanks again for your patience and understanding and I do hope you might give us another chance to get things right for you.
Waldorf, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

Booked this room as a last minute quick get away for my family! We were treated wonderfully from the moment we pulled up. The front desk staff was very quick, extremely friendly and efficient. My family and I enjoyed the pool. The bathroom shower was awesome!!! We look forward to visiting this hotel for quick local getaways!

• Stayed July 2013
WestinAlexndria, General Manager at Westin Alexandria, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Dear R I,
Thanks for staying with us and taking the time to share you comments. It is always nice to hear great comments concerning our staff and service and I was glad to know you enjoyed other aspects of our hotel as well. Hope to see you again soon.

Springfield, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

I booked this hotel for a stay-cation with my husband on Valentine's Day weekend. The hotel lobby and rooms are very nicely appointed. As guests, we were treated very kindly and our every need was met. The rooms were quite clean and modern. The shower head was a bit wonky but did the job. The hotel is not exactly in Old Town. In fact, it is a few block away. The hotel does have a shuttle that takes you back and forth. Parking is difficult in this area and the neighboring garages and valet service is expensive. The subway is nearby and probably the ideal method. We had breakfast in the hotel restaurant and it was delicious and priced okay. (The hotel gave us a free continental breakfast coupon but we ordered additional items.) All-in-all, it was a great stay in a nice area.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Jessica M,

Thanks for staying with us recently. I was delighted to know that you enjoyed yourselves and took advantage of the many things to offer in the hotel and around Old Town. Come see us again soon.

Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

I wish I liked this place more because it's a great place for a work conference. I lived in the neighboring suburb of Arlington last year and attended a conference there at the time. Although the valet parking in pricey, it's a really nice place for a conference with better than average conference food/snacks. It always annoys me though when they nickel and dime you to print something at the business center.

The rooms are spacious and who doesn't love the "Heavenly Beds" at the Westin. The on-site restaurant/bar "the Trademark" has a good happy hour with a few $5 apps and wines. Other than that, there's nothing worth staying on site for. Any restaurants that are very good are a good half mile or so away on King Street, like Brado, Brado Tasting Room, and Vermillion. Sure, the Metro is a fairly close, but if you're a high heels kinda girl like me, taking a cab is about $18-20 to/from the airport in traffic and a good $30 to go into the city. There are more convenient places to stay in the city and in Virginia unless you need to be in this "Carlyle" neighborhood of Alexandria near the Masonic Temple. Only reason I can think to stay here is if you need to be near the courthouse or the Patent Office nearby.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
WestinAlexndria, General Manager at Westin Alexandria, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear Cycloneusa,
Thank you for staying with us recently and for taking the time to share your comments. Glad to know that you enjoyed our Heavenly Beds and your experieince in Trademark. I know you found our location a bit of a walk from some of the places you would like to visit in Old Town. We do run a shuttle service to and from any location in Old Town as well as to the Metro for our guests convenience. I am not sure if you were aware of that since you did not reference it. Many of our guests enjoy this service when they would prefer not to walk. Thanks again.
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

I stayed at this hotel while on a business trip to Alexandria. The hotel is beautiful. It is very clean and the decor is inviting and makes for a great atmosphere. I brought my family along for this trip and they loved it. The location is perfect; it is close to the King St. Metro and to the train station. Washington is just across the river; so it's like you can access two great cities at once. The hotel is conveniently located to Old Town. Staying in this area is like taking a trip back in history. There are so many historic places, the homes and shops are beautiful. The hotel restaurant has great food and drinks. We will definitely return to this hotel. There is also so much to do and see in D.C.; this hotel is a perfect location. Parking isn't cheap at $26 a day, but they do offer limited shuttle service. They also charge for wireless internet as they do at most upscale hotels. Honestly, I've never understood the internet charges, when wireless internet is free at La Quinta or Holiday Inn...oh well. The hotel front desk staff was courteous and very friendly; we were checked-in, in just a few minutes. The cleaning staff went out of their way to greet us every morning. Stay at this hotel if you're in the DC area; you will not be disappointed. Website: www.westinalexandria.com phone: (703) 253-8600

Room Tip: Book a high floor room facing the court house; you'll love the view.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dear Dave E,

Thank you for staying with us recently and taking the time to share your thoughts. Your comments concerning our staff and numerous other highlights of your stay are most appreciated and I was so glad to know that you and your family enjoyed yourselves. Looking forward to seeing you again soon.

Lakeland, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

It was a very nice hotel, very friendly helpful staff, very clean and somewhat quiet , if you have AAA you can get a nice discount . the only thing that we did not like was the lifeguard at the pool that was on duty they could of cared less about making people stop roughhousing and dangerous conditions i had company over and we could not enjoy the pool the whole hour or so we were there too much noise and commotion rules were being broken . And the pool is small but there is a hot whirlpool also, nice shower area for cleaning up . Very clean towels and you get to borrow a robe while you there but you have to buy it if you want to keep it but its nice . AC is cold and works great nice furniture, a safe , and has a frig but you have to pay for refreshments think it was wine etc in there , if you want a microwave u have to ask i think, we just had a one cup coffee maker nice flat screen tv and great pillow-top beds so comfy !! Also you can get complementary water and starbucks coffee pods you could make more than one cup out of one pod if you like your coffee weak its strong to me , creamer sweetener etc and shampoo , lotion , soap, body wash which smells so good etc everyday which i did not know and free usa today newspapers , internet is extra cause its high speed .the hotel is no smoking but you can smoke outside there are ashtrays and benches nice place to sit and watch people go by . I recommend the Potbelly restaurant great sandwiches etc they even have local artists sing while you are eating nice atmosphere, good prices , they have outside tables also its walking distance just ask the front desk they even printed us a map Roberto i believe was his name at the desk he was very nice and helpful about that , also there is other shops and restaurants walking distance along the way busy city but nice area there are benches along the way smoking areas to sit at etc .

Room Tip: 6th floor was quiet mostly and nice view across the street and cold ac in our room
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear RhondaF,
Thank you for staying with us. I was glad to know you enjoyed your stay and our staff. Thank you for bringing the pool situation to our attention as we will revisit our policies there. Hope to see you again soon.
Rich Casale

Been to Westin Alexandria? Share your experiences!