“Great Stay!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
new jersey
“Great Stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

We had a great stay and have nothing but positive things to say about the Westin Alexandria. The room was very nice, clean and comfortable. The staff were pleasant and efficient. The location is convenient to the Metro and Old Town. A free shuttle is available if you prefer not to walk. The restaurant had great drinks and food. And best of all was the price! This was our second stay here and we will definitely be back.

• Stayed July 2013
WestinAlexndria, General Manager at Westin Alexandria, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear Jpolizzotto,
Thank you for staying with us recently. Your comments concerning our staff, restaurant and general location are much appreciated and we are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay. Hope to see you again soon!

503 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Alexandria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

The staff was very helpful without asking, this location was a 5 star service level typical of a European hotel.
Lovely location, clean rooms, nice ambience, decorated tastefully without over doing it.
Concierge , shuttle, room service, valet and other luxuries were a lovely experience.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Dear ErinS,
Thanks for your glowing comments concerning your recent stay. I am so glad to know you enjoyed all and hope that we will have an opportunity to be of service again soon.
Petoskey, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

The Westin Alexandria is fine, high-end property. It offers, comfortable beds, a nice room, a lovely lobby, and outstanding food (the restaurant was a treat!). However, what makes this property a real gem is the customer service. Although I travel a great dea,l I rarely feel like a VIP. The staff at the Westin Alexandria made me feel like a rock star. I got rock star treatment from both Dagg and Ronald at the front desk! Both took the time to explain the area to me, print maps for me and make numerous suggestions for my stay. They gave me free water and made good food recommendations. They were super friendly on the phone and took care of minor room issues right away (the phone and fridge were broken). Ronald even brought me a fork AFTER his shift was over! Who does that?

Clearly Dag and Ronald love the Westin and are willing to go the extra mile to make their hotel look good. I booked this hotel because of a wedding. However, I come to DC often. As a result of the excellent customer service, I am moving my future business travel to this hotel! Afterall, it's not everyday that I'm treated like a rock star!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
WestinAlexndria, General Manager at Westin Alexandria, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear Greenleaftalking,
Thanks for staying with us recently. I was so glad to learn that we made your stay special and I know that Dag and Ron will be most pleased to read your comments concerning their service. Hope to see you again soon!
Springfield, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

During my stay at the Westin there were a few minor things that I didn't think were appropriate - there was a dirty bra in the nightstand from a previous guest, no hand towels provided on the second day of my stay, and loud music from a wedding reception taking place in the hotel on Saturday night until midnight. Those were just minor annoyances.

My big complaint is that I paid in advance for this room online to get a cheaper rate and upon checkout on Sunday morning I was told that the room was prepaid and that a receipt would be emailed to me. Upon arrival at the airport I looked at the email from the Westin and found that I was charged for 3 nights of parking - $78.01 - and I didn't have a car!!! I called right away and was told that the accounting office is closed on Sundays and to call back tomorrow. I called this morning at 9:15 and was asked to leave my phone number or email address and they would "investigate." Investigate what??? I was also told that the matter would be resolved within a half an hour. Four hours later I called accounting again and was told that she "forgot about it" but was in the process of issuing a refund. Nice way to treat your guests, don't you think???

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Dear rjdav,
Thank you for staying with us. My apologies for some of the incoveniences you experienced. I did check in accounting to see who might have called in concerning parking charges. It appears we have one that could be yours and if so you should see that the adjustment has been made by now. I agree that we could have reacted with more of a sense of urgency and concern regarding this once you brought it to our attention. Thanks again for staying with us. I hope you might return and if so please feel free to reach out to me personally so I can look after your stay.
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Things started badly at Check In (at midnight after a long haul flight) when instead of swiping my card to take a $50 holding fee, they tried to swipe the full amount for my 4 night stay, and ended up blocking my card ! We then stalemated as they refused to check me in without this deposit...I scraped together $50 cash but considering my employer has a corporate account, and we travel to this hotel regularly, there was no flexibility, trust or generosity offered in light of repeat business which was a shame. My room access key was also blocked 2 days later, as I had exceeded the $50 deposit on food / drink bill. As this time I was shocked to be forced to pay for all 4 nights...2 nights in advance of check out before my room card was unlocked ! I've never heard anything like it ! The staff were friendly and helpful, but inflexible.
Rooms and corridors in the hotel were tired, old and had a musty smell. Everything seemed clean enough, but too old to feel really clean (plug sockets were stained and yellow, as was base of bath) Towels were lovely and fluffy. Bathroom products were nice scent and quality, but water pressure was ridiculously low, taking me an age to wash my hair ! The hairdryer was old, flaking and peeling and sticky (!) and thankfully was so tired, the plug pins were bent and I had to ask for it to be replaced - it was foul – there was full iron and ironing board, and bath robe, which was nice. Worth noting; they have a silly minibar system where you have to order (and pay for) what you want them to deliver to your minibar, and it will then be stocked. Fridge not turned on otherwise, so was unable to cool the - complimentary - bottled water though, and although I could hear the ice machine clattering down the hall, it failed to produce any ice the whole 5 days I was there.
The gym was ok, with ample running and cross training machines, and mat space. The pool has been cleverly photographed for the website as it is barely long enough to swim laps in. Water and towels provided in gym, as well as option to hire gym kit and trainers.
Bar and dining area were busy in the evenings, as well as being open to the public. Not much else in the area, so worth eating out before heading back to the hotel. There are a couple of Metro stops within walking distance, but a bit dark and quiet at night.
All in all, a disappointing stay, not the quality I’d expect from a Westin or for the price paid, and will unfortunately therefore not be staying there again.

Room Tip: Away from the ice machines, as they're very loud !
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear WorldMoocher,
Thank you for staying with us recently and for taking the time to share these comments. It appears we could have have handled your check in and room deposit more efficiently and I want to extend my apologies. I was glad to hear that you found the staff helpful as things were brought to their attention. Also in light of your comments, we will certainly pay closer attention to the condition of the corridors and guest room hairdryers. As you mention our mini bar in the rooms will be stocked upon request and additionally it does serve to cool some items that you might bring along. Thanks again for the feedback. It is much appreciated and will help us focus our efforts accordingly.
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

I was expecting more from a Westin in such a fine location as Alexandria. The price is high and the entrance looks very fancy and the door and check-in staff were great. However there were a number of small issues which made the experience memorable for the wrong reasons
1. Small things not right - the hotel had run out of room slippers. I have grown used to these and was disappointed when the housekeeping and front desk staff said they were out
2. Bedside telephone was not working - it was a cordless set which clearly past its prime
3. Thin walls and voices heard from the air ducts
4. Rowdy and drunk crowd in the elevators and hallways

But the biggest issue I had was when ordering my room-service breakfast the second and last night I was there. Someone 'forgot' to put the little ordering card on the door knob the second day (I used it on day 1). Wanting the same items, I called the front desk and room service around 12:30 and again at 1:30 am but no one answered. Finally when I awoke at 6;30 am in the morning I called the One-touch-service line and reached asked to order off that card and was told I couldn't do so because it was too late. Fine, please give me the normal rate for your "Healthy Breakfast"or whatever I had day 1 - "sorry, it's not on the menu". Fine, then how long for an omelette - since I'm now in a rush "sorry I can't tell you, it can be up to 25 minutes". Oh my! Can I have the duty manager.... "the manager is not here now". So I hung up in anger. I called back and asked for this person's name and never got it but was finally transferred to the kitchen without a name of course! (end of story - kitchen figured out how to hand write an order and send it up in 10 mins).... during checkout I reported the ordeal to the front desk who said they would knock off $5 of a $400 bill...hah - I told them not to bother since I was in a hurry.

On the bright side, the location was good :-)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
WestinAlexndria, General Manager at Westin Alexandria, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear GourrmetGourmand,
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to share your comments. I want to extend my apologies for the inconveniences. We certainly should have reacted with more of a sense of urgency concerning your relatively simple room serivce request which just added insult to injury to go with the slippers, telephone and noise concerns. We appreciate this feedback. All that you bring to our attention is being immediately addressed for improvement. Thanks again. I hope you might return to Alexandria and give us another chance to get things right. Please feel free to reach out to me personally as I would like to look after your accommodations.
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

We stayed here two nights for a wedding and for vacation....loved the starbucks coffee provided; great amenitites; clean and friendly staff; loved the courthouse across the street...really close to the train and that was awesome because that took us everywhere in DC.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
WestinAlexndria, General Manager at Westin Alexandria, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Dear Deena,
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to comment on your recent stay. I was glad to know that you enjoyed the hotel, our staff and location. We hope to see you back again soon.