“Nice place to stay but it lacks attention to the details” 4 of 5 stars

Special Deal
Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #17 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
newport beach, ca
“Nice place to stay but it lacks attention to the details”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Overall, hotel is clean and comfortable but more attention to details would make it better. For example, not enough staff in the morning for check-out, questions etc. There is no concierge. There are no signs indicating where meetings are and waiting for ten minutes to ask where a convention is being held is easily fixed by having a board, electronic or otherwise, where everything is posted each day. Housekeeping does not replace toiletries. Only one restaurant on premises with extremely limited menu. Small shop on premises also has an extremely small selection. Room walls are thin so you can hear everything going on in the halls and adjoining rooms.
Good things about the hotel: porter and valet staff were fantastic. Gym is nice and the location is great. Beds were extremely comfortable. The price for the DC area was reasonable as well.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
WestinAlexndria, General Manager at Westin Alexandria, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Dear poggy,
Thank you for staying with us. While there were some positive aspects of your stay, clearly we could have done more to meet and exceed your expectations. Thanks for taking the time to point out those opportuniies as it gives us some direction in moving forward. I do hope that you will have an opportunity to return again and welcome you to reach out to me personally so that I might look after your arrangements.

502 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

This hotel is a very good, functional business traveller hotel. Its a bit hard to find, on an odd back street, and there were some small drawbacks, like long waits for valet parking on two occasions (20-30 minutes), but they hotel staff is generally very good and the whole experience was well organized for the business traveller. Its a pet-friendly hotel, so if you have allergies like me ask for a pet free room at booking and again at check in. Mine was fine (and I'm very sensitive, which means the hotel is clean).

Room Tip: There are some pet-free rooms on the higher floors.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
WestinAlexndria, General Manager at Westin Alexandria, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Dear B L,
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to comment. I was glad to know that we were able to serve your business needs and that you found our staff to be helpful and organized. We hope to see you back again soon.
Roanoke, Va
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Booked room through HotWire and got a great rate for a five night stay. Unfortunately I was reminded of that and treated as unwelcome. I had contacted hotel prior to stat to request a bit of a view and a refrigerator for medication. Contacted back and told all would be taken care of. Checked in Friday, nice room but no view and no refrigerator - was told nothing else available. Friday night around 9 air conditioning stops working - call desk am told they will correct it. Nothing happens no one shows up, call back told same thing. This time man comes and takes battery out of thermostat and puts same one back in. Says this will reset thermostat. Unit comes on and runs a cycle or two but fan will not run independently, room cools some wife is tired so we go to bed. Sometime in the night unit quits again, wake up around 4 am very hot and stuffy this time thermostat is blank...shows nothing. Go down to desk and they say we can change rooms. Girl also insists that I am booked till Monday (not Wednesday). To frustrated to argue will wait till later. Go up repack and change rooms and get some sleep. Go to desk about noon Saturday to make sure everything is ok, girl gets reservation info straight, says we are ok till Wed. No one has yet offered an apology for all of this and now this girl informs me that I was moved to the club floor which I normally would not be allowed on so I can't drink the free water - for me it will be 4 dollars. No apology but a stern warning about the water. Rest of Saturday had a good day out and about. Sunday good morning and went to ballgame, returned to witness another guest in tears with the desk about something. Thought all my troubles were behind me until I checked my e-mail to have an alert from credit card company about authorizations. Checked account and Westin in three days has placed 5 separate charges totaling $592.00 for a room that was pre-paid. Headed down to desk again at 10 pm man tries to explain computer system and how it is requesting authorizations on my card. makes no sense and no one else available to talk to. Received message on Monday from Thomas the Operations Manager who says he will look into it. Tuesday he leaves another message basically saying that their system estimates what it thinks you will spend based on purchases. In other words on the second day I spent 70 bucks in the hotel restaurateur so it assumed I would do so each day. Explanation made some sense but numbers still did not add up. Housekeeping was very poor, basically make bed and replenish towels. Floor not vacuumed, ice bucket and dirty glasses never touched, iron and ironing board never put up. Final morning called down for valet to get car and phone rings a dozen times with no answer. Hang up and after a couple minutes desk calls me and says they were busy but they will get car. Head down to check out and they have two people working desk at 9:00 AM and both are checking in a large group of students. Waited 20 minutes to check out only to be handed a bill for 400+ dollars. Almost lost it at this point. Ask for Thomas and the desk agent went to find him. In the meantime the other agent figured out that he had given me someone else's bill. Have never been treated so poorly in a hotel. Made to feel unwanted as a guest. The fact that they were selling rooms through HotWire on Memorial Day weekend in the DC metro area should have warned me that something was up. Most other area hotels were at a premium for the holiday. Will not recommend Westin to anyone. Had a reservation in Charlotte, NC for end of June for a conference but have already cancelled that and found another hotel. All of this could have been avoided with some friendly faces, customer service, and an apology or two. But instead they were protecting their precious free water and making excuses for everything else.

Room Tip: Head for the Hilton!
Dear PenguinBill,
Thank you for staying with us this past Memorial Weekend. Clearly we did not take very good care of you and I wanted to extend my sincere apologies. Your feedback is helpful in our efforts to make some improvements. Although there seemed to be many issues that arose in the course of your stay that would lead you not to want to return, I hope that we might have another opportunity to be of service. I know we would do siognificantly better by you the next time around and welcome you to reach out to me so I might personally look after your arrangements. Thanks again for taking the time to share your comments.
Fleetwood, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Wonderful hotel, but watch the amenities--even internet has a fee, as does valet parking. There are two public lots not too far away, but over a holiday weekend, we never saw anyone around to ask about parking there. Beds are comfortable; bathroom is great; decor is lovely; staff was friendly. They offer a $5 coupon for the local Starbucks each night that you forgo maid service (of course this is not an option for the final night's stay) and have recycling as well as regular trash. They offer one complimentary bottle of water, and, though room has a refrigerator, guests are asked not to use it except for food purchased through the hotel service.

Dear zoldiegoldie,
Thanks for staying with us and taking the time to share your comments. I was glad to see that you enjoyed your stay and our staff. Hope to see you again soon.
State College, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

My wife and I had a poor stay at this Westin. We had 3 major problems. 1) The walls are paper thin; so thin that I could hear the person on the other end of a cell phone conversation in the next room. The couple next door kept us awake until 4am and woke up our baby. I asked to be moved to a new room. We got a new room, but a smaller room. That's just wrong. We were kept up all night be rude neighbors, and we were downgraded! 2) The house keeping staff is horrible. They never cleaned our room the second morning. At noon, I found the cleaning lady down the hall (she had skipped my room) and asked her. She lied and said she had already cleaned it. I was in the room the whole morning...she never came. 3) When we got a new room, I asked 3 separate times to have the crib moved from the old room to the new room. I was assured that house keeping would take care of it. We went sight seeing at noon and returned to our room at 6pm to put our baby to bed. Guess what...no crib! It took 2 phone calls and over an hour for them to bring the crib. When I complained to the manager, the only thing she offered to do was remove the internet charge. I think they should have done more. Overall, horrible customer service. And, the rooms do not live up the 4-star rating.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Dear DharmaJ,
Thank you for staying with us recently and for sharing your comments. I want to extend my sincere apologies. The inconveniences you experienced are unacceptable and point out some opportunities for us to focus on. You can be assured that we will work with our team to correct these going forward as we do value the feedback. I hope you will view this experience as the exception and not the rule and that we might have another opportunity to get it right for you. I welcome you to reach out to me personally and I will look after your accommodations.
Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed at the Westin Alexandria for 3 nights while sightseeing in Washington DC. The hotel is conveniently located about a 7 minute walk to the King Street metro station which is really convenient for getting into the city and around to all the sights (easy to use as well). The area the hotel is in is very pleasant and scenic with a couple of cafes and a pub nearby (watch the hours of these as we came home around 10 some nights wanting a drink/snack and these were all closed). The rooms were nicely appointed and very clean. We didn't give a perfect review for a couple of (minor) reasons: first, we stopped in the restaurant on our last day for two cups of tea before leaving and the 2 cups of tea were $8 + tax which we thought was very expensive. The second reason is the fridge in the room was locked and you had to order drinks, etc to the room to have access to it. Staying for a few days, it would have been nice to have the fridge for use to put some fruit, yogurt etc as snacks/breakfast. To be fair, we did not call the desk to ask if we could use the fridge anyways, so I can't really knock them on this too much as I think they would likely have accommodated had we asked. All staff were very friendly and helpful with handling very delayed/late check-ins, restaurant suggestions, phone numbers, and holding our luggage the day of check-out. We would definitely recommend this hotel to others coming to DC and we would certainly stay there again!

Room Tip: Ask if you can have use of the fridge without having to order something. Also, try the cafe across t...
Dear tkbrady,
Thank you for staying with us recently. We appreciate your feedback and it is always nice to hear great comments regarding our staff and facility. I was delighted to learn of your satisfaction with your stay and we hope you will visit again soon.
Charlottesville, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Stayed here just for one night and loved how it was so close to the King St Metro but also Old Town (via free shuttle, it's quite a few blocks to walk). There is a nice Whole Foods nearby if you want to grab food for the room. Everything was clean and staff was friendly. Room rates seemed to vary greatly between my friends and I though, even though we booked same day and had identical rooms.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear AbbyC,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments concerning your recent stay with us. I was glad to know that you enjoyed our staff and service as well as our convenient location to Old Town. I do hope we will have an opportunity to be of service again in the near future.
Rich Casale

Been to Westin Alexandria? Share your experiences!