“Comfortable, convenient Hotel to US Patent Office” 4 of 5 stars

Special Deal
Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #17 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
Holly Springs, North Carolina, United States
“Comfortable, convenient Hotel to US Patent Office”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Overall, I was pleased with the hotel. Bedding was excellent, bathroom was well-appointed and luxurious. And this hotel was within a very short walk to the Patent Office. Nice to have a HDTV with real HD content, but they TVs themselves have really small screens. When will luxury hotels start putting in really nice large screen HDTVs in their rooms? On the downside, I didn't like the shower head, which was a small rainfall head that could not be adjusted. It was too close to the wall for you to comfortably stand under it, so it resulted in a short and partially cold shower experience rather than a soothing warm one...call me crazy, but I prefer the latter. I was also not impressed with breakfast in the Trademark restaurant. I entertained a guest and it cost me $39 for a most unimpressive breakfast...a very fru-fru breakfast menu that will please you if you like things like Salmon Eggs Benedict, but is sure to disappoint if you simply want some scrambled eggs with bacon. Also be forewarned that parking is a challenge in Alexandria and runs $26 per day here...probably competitive, but consider other options if that bothers you.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
WestinAlexndria, General Manager at Westin Alexandria, responded to this review, May 12, 2013
Dear KenT,
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to share you comments. I was glad to know that you had a comfortable stay and appreciate your observations on everything from the TV to the shower head to the restauarnt menu. Certainly plenty there for us to consider in terms of any future product improvements. I will take a closer look at our menu to insure we are priced appropriately and offer the options you mention. Thanks again. Hope you will visit us again soon.

502 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Morristown, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Great hotel. Good location, close to shopping and transportation. Great restaurant in the hotel. Breakfast is worth the price. Great restaurants in walking distance. Very nice, helpful staff. This hotel is clean and quiet. Beds are comfy!

Room Tip: Haven't had a bad one yet
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear satisfied customer,
Thanks for sharing your thoughts conerning your recent stay. I was delighted to learn that all went well and appreciate in paricular your comments about our staff I hope we will see you again soon!
Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

99% of the people who come here are very uppity so don't expect to come here and find all these friendly visitors that you might find elsewhere. That's not the fault of this hotel though I suppose (maybe it is but I'm not holding it against them). This place is huge, walking distance to King Street and the metro which is awesome, and it's connected to a Starbucks. I like how clean everything was and how nicely kept everything was. The bathroom in our room was really nice! I was a fan. The only gripe I have is public parking around the area is there but it's VERY limited. If you get there early Friday around 5:30 there are lots of spaces but after that you are pretty much SOL the rest of the weekend. I ended up parking my car in BFE way out of the way Saturday night and got so lost trying to find it it took about 20 minutes. There IS parking available through the hotel though but it's $26 a night which isn't bad if you weren't already paying a good deal to stay there in the first place. When asked if it was nightly or the weekend fee the customer service rep said, "It's nightly but hey that's incredible for this area because we are right by DC and the W charges something like $40" First of all, with all the other cheap and or free parking garages (talking $5 all day parking) in Alexandria why the hell would I want to pay that much for this hotel? NEXT TO DC? Yeah it's near it but you do have to drive there and if we are comparing parking rates to the W, that hotel is actually IN DC not next to it AND having been there MANY times it's not even CLOSE to that expensive so he lied to get their fee to look good but unfortunately for him I'm not some tourist visiting the area for the first time, I am FROM this area and I know that fee is ridiculous considering the abundance of other options for free and cheap parking in the area. I'm surprised he forgot about the parking garages in DC that charge $8-12 for all day parking (wait, no I'm not). They just try to milk what they can I guess.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear zellywelly,
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to share your comments. I was glad to know that your felt the hotel was clean and well maintained. I do appreciate your comments concening the parking fee. It appears that our associate could have better explained it and other options available. Our intention is not to compare our charges to downtown DC but to what is appropraite for the Old Town area and we need to do a better job of offering options if you should decide not to use our garage. We offer only valet parking as you know with good security and unlimited in and out privledges. The street parking is an option of course but limited and there is other garage parking on the weekends but somewhat distant from the hotel. We do set our rates to be competitve with what is offered in other hotels, not necessarily other garages. We appreciate the comments and will continue to evaluate this to insure we are priced appropriately and explaining all. Thanks again and hope you will be back.
Tahlequah, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

The Westin Alexandria is in a good location for travelers to the Virginia side of Washington, D.C. and also convenient to transportation to the Washington Mall area via Metro. The hotel is clean and well kept. The restaurant has excellent food and the service in the hotel is excellent. The concierge service is very good and there is a shuttle that will take you to anywhere in Alexandria and the Regan Airport and also pick you up and take you back to the hotel. The people who arrange transportation are very helpful. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear OK Explorer,
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to share your comments. I was delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay and appreciate your comments concerning our staff, restaurant and transportation in particular. Look forward to welcoming you back.
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

In a recent stay at the Westin Alexandria in April 2013, I found the concierge service provided by Ron to be outstanding! Ron was extremely knowledgeable about area restaurants. Once he identified the type of restaurant I enjoy, he secured a reservation with view out the window and first class service. He went above and beyond the call of duty to be courteous and helpful, which made my business stay a pleasant experience.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
WestinAlexndria, General Manager at Westin Alexandria, responded to this review, May 4, 2013
Dear map,
Thank you for staying with us recently and for sharing your comments concerning Ron. I know he will be pleased to learn of your appreciation of his outstanding service for you. Please come see us again soon.
Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Booked the Westin for a one night stay through Priceline. On the day of our arrival, my husband and I decided visit Old Towne for a drink and to listen to some music. While out my husband fell in a restaurant there and broke his hip. He was then transported to the hospital emergency room. After spending most of the night in the ER I finally arrived back to the Westin around 4:30 a.m. I had called earlier from the hospital to see if I could book another night since my husband was scheduled to have surgery on Saturday. When I called they said they were near capacity and I should probably talk to the manager in the morning.

I got up at 7:30 and headed to the lobby, I spoke to one girl at the front desk and explained my situation; she said the best rate they could give me for Saturday night was $329. With everything I had on my plate, I could not afford that. I asked to speak to the manager and the best she could do was $299. I asked if they would consider $199 due to the situation and so I would not have to move to another hotel, but they would not budge. BTW my Priceline bid was accepted for $88/nt, so don't tell me they don't have room to budge on their rates. So I ended up checking out.

I had hoped that considering the unusual and tramatic situation I was in, I would have received a more sympathetic response. There are some things that are more important than money. I hope that extra $100 was worth a lost customer and this poor review.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Mercymygft,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay. I wanted to offer my sincere apologies for our insensitive approach to your situation. We certainly could have handled this better given your circumstances. I do hope that your husband is recovering well from his surgery. We wish him our best. If the opportunity does arise for you to be coming back to Alexandria, I hope you might reach out to me directly as I would like to personally offer assistance with your accomodations. We are anxious to make amends.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

Great location, friendly shuttle to waterfront. Room was vey clean, bathroom nice size, but limited counter space. The bathroom does have nice lighting for makeup and a makeup mirror. It was exactly what I would have expected at a Westin.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Nova Mom G,
Thank you for staying with us recently and for taking the time to comment. Glad to know that you were comfortable wth all and enjoyed the convenience of our shuttle. We hope to see you again soon.
Rich Casale

Been to Westin Alexandria? Share your experiences!