“Very nice, Very Clean, Little Uppity though” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #19 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
Virginia
“Very nice, Very Clean, Little Uppity though”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

99% of the people who come here are very uppity so don't expect to come here and find all these friendly visitors that you might find elsewhere. That's not the fault of this hotel though I suppose (maybe it is but I'm not holding it against them). This place is huge, walking distance to King Street and the metro which is awesome, and it's connected to a Starbucks. I like how clean everything was and how nicely kept everything was. The bathroom in our room was really nice! I was a fan. The only gripe I have is public parking around the area is there but it's VERY limited. If you get there early Friday around 5:30 there are lots of spaces but after that you are pretty much SOL the rest of the weekend. I ended up parking my car in BFE way out of the way Saturday night and got so lost trying to find it it took about 20 minutes. There IS parking available through the hotel though but it's $26 a night which isn't bad if you weren't already paying a good deal to stay there in the first place. When asked if it was nightly or the weekend fee the customer service rep said, "It's nightly but hey that's incredible for this area because we are right by DC and the W charges something like $40" First of all, with all the other cheap and or free parking garages (talking $5 all day parking) in Alexandria why the hell would I want to pay that much for this hotel? NEXT TO DC? Yeah it's near it but you do have to drive there and if we are comparing parking rates to the W, that hotel is actually IN DC not next to it AND having been there MANY times it's not even CLOSE to that expensive so he lied to get their fee to look good but unfortunately for him I'm not some tourist visiting the area for the first time, I am FROM this area and I know that fee is ridiculous considering the abundance of other options for free and cheap parking in the area. I'm surprised he forgot about the parking garages in DC that charge $8-12 for all day parking (wait, no I'm not). They just try to milk what they can I guess.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
WestinAlexndria, General Manager at Westin Alexandria, responded to this review, May 12, 2013
Dear zellywelly,
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to share your comments. I was glad to know that your felt the hotel was clean and well maintained. I do appreciate your comments concening the parking fee. It appears that our associate could have better explained it and other options available. Our intention is not to compare our charges to downtown DC but to what is appropraite for the Old Town area and we need to do a better job of offering options if you should decide not to use our garage. We offer only valet parking as you know with good security and unlimited in and out privledges. The street parking is an option of course but limited and there is other garage parking on the weekends but somewhat distant from the hotel. We do set our rates to be competitve with what is offered in other hotels, not necessarily other garages. We appreciate the comments and will continue to evaluate this to insure we are priced appropriately and explaining all. Thanks again and hope you will be back.
Rich Casale

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Tahlequah, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

The Westin Alexandria is in a good location for travelers to the Virginia side of Washington, D.C. and also convenient to transportation to the Washington Mall area via Metro. The hotel is clean and well kept. The restaurant has excellent food and the service in the hotel is excellent. The concierge service is very good and there is a shuttle that will take you to anywhere in Alexandria and the Regan Airport and also pick you up and take you back to the hotel. The people who arrange transportation are very helpful. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear OK Explorer,
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to share your comments. I was delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay and appreciate your comments concerning our staff, restaurant and transportation in particular. Look forward to welcoming you back.
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

In a recent stay at the Westin Alexandria in April 2013, I found the concierge service provided by Ron to be outstanding! Ron was extremely knowledgeable about area restaurants. Once he identified the type of restaurant I enjoy, he secured a reservation with view out the window and first class service. He went above and beyond the call of duty to be courteous and helpful, which made my business stay a pleasant experience.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
WestinAlexndria, General Manager at Westin Alexandria, responded to this review, May 4, 2013
Dear map,
Thank you for staying with us recently and for sharing your comments concerning Ron. I know he will be pleased to learn of your appreciation of his outstanding service for you. Please come see us again soon.
Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Booked the Westin for a one night stay through Priceline. On the day of our arrival, my husband and I decided visit Old Towne for a drink and to listen to some music. While out my husband fell in a restaurant there and broke his hip. He was then transported to the hospital emergency room. After spending most of the night in the ER I finally arrived back to the Westin around 4:30 a.m. I had called earlier from the hospital to see if I could book another night since my husband was scheduled to have surgery on Saturday. When I called they said they were near capacity and I should probably talk to the manager in the morning.

I got up at 7:30 and headed to the lobby, I spoke to one girl at the front desk and explained my situation; she said the best rate they could give me for Saturday night was $329. With everything I had on my plate, I could not afford that. I asked to speak to the manager and the best she could do was $299. I asked if they would consider $199 due to the situation and so I would not have to move to another hotel, but they would not budge. BTW my Priceline bid was accepted for $88/nt, so don't tell me they don't have room to budge on their rates. So I ended up checking out.

I had hoped that considering the unusual and tramatic situation I was in, I would have received a more sympathetic response. There are some things that are more important than money. I hope that extra $100 was worth a lost customer and this poor review.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Mercymygft,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay. I wanted to offer my sincere apologies for our insensitive approach to your situation. We certainly could have handled this better given your circumstances. I do hope that your husband is recovering well from his surgery. We wish him our best. If the opportunity does arise for you to be coming back to Alexandria, I hope you might reach out to me directly as I would like to personally offer assistance with your accomodations. We are anxious to make amends.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

Great location, friendly shuttle to waterfront. Room was vey clean, bathroom nice size, but limited counter space. The bathroom does have nice lighting for makeup and a makeup mirror. It was exactly what I would have expected at a Westin.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Nova Mom G,
Thank you for staying with us recently and for taking the time to comment. Glad to know that you were comfortable wth all and enjoyed the convenience of our shuttle. We hope to see you again soon.
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

My family took a quick two day trip to Alexandria VA. I booked the Westin using my Starwood points. We were very pleased w the stay. First and foremost the staff was excellent. They went above and beyond to make my family comfortable. From Solomon, the van driver, to Martha in housekeeping, everyone was beyond kind to my family ( especially my two little girls). The room was comfortable, the restaurant was good ( burgers were great).
They provide a complimentary van shuttle service to old town. The van driver really did an outstanding job. We can't wait to stay again.

• Stayed April 2013
Dear psu86,
Thank you for your comments. We were delighted to learn of your satisfaction with so many elements of your stay particularly the service provided by Solomon and Martha. I know that they will enjoy reading your comments. Thanks again. We look forward to your next visit with us.
Huahine, French Polynesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

Nice hotel in Alexandria's new business site. About 30 minutes walk to the waterfront. Clean rooms but no views, comfy beddings, and nice new European style rainshower with good water pressure. Nightly rate is beyond my reach if not for our corporate event. Food served at our conference is above average; coffee and tea available throughout. Complimentary soaps, shampoos and lotions appeal to the senses. If you opt for "green" (none to clean/fix the room during your stay) they''ll give you a $5 Starbucks card that expires on the day you check out. This is disappointing coz we didn't have time to go outside due to intensive business schedule. I'd prefer one that doesn't expire. And unless you sign in for Starwood membership, they'll not tell you that bottled water in the room is $4 (not sure if it was included in the list of bar items found in the room).

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
WestinAlexndria, General Manager at Westin Alexandria, responded to this review, April 28, 2013
Dear GieOct07,
Thanks for staying with us and taking the time to share your comments. I noticed you were attending a conference and appeared to enjoy the facilities. Thank you as well for participating in our "green choice" program while you were here. The coupon we provide for this does allow for a $5 food and beverage credit not only in Starbucks but in our restaurant as well or is good for 500 points credit to your account in our SPG program. Since you did not have an opportunity to use it while you were here, we would be happy to provide the poiints to you if your will reach you to me directly. Hope to hear from you and have you visit with us again soon.
Rich Casale

Been to Westin Alexandria? Share your experiences!