“Not bad” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 49 Hotels in Alexandria
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Not bad”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

This is going to be one of my shortest reviews.

4 out of 5 for me is a place I would stay in every time with no second thought. To get 5 in my book you really have to blow it away and think of everything before I ask.

The location is sort of a quite area after 5pm. There are a few things around but not a ton.

Rooms were just fine and so was the service. I even left something in the room and finally got a a very helpful security guard that sent me my bag. Only thing that made me scratch my head was how the hotel did not contact me to let me know I left a bag. Its a bag not a toothbrush.

Guess I would stay there again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
WestinAlexndria, General Manager at Westin Alexandria, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
Dear Ktscott,
Thank you for staying with us and for your comments. Glad to know all went well and most improtantly that we were able to find and return your bag. Given that you are so well travelled, your postive comments are very much appreicated.

Rich Casale

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Jamestown, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We couldn't find a place to stay near the Mall in Washington DC at Easter time that was reasonable, so we opted for nearby Alexandria, VA. for 2 reasons: its near the metro and its a quaint historical city with things to do in the evening.
The Westin Alexandria is one of the nicest hotels we have stayed at: safe, super clean, staff helpful and kind, beautiful setting. It has a shuttle that we used to pick us up after dining on King St. in Alexandria for free. Also, when booking i called Westin directly and they worked with me on a reasonable rate that beat the internet rates.
We were able to walk or take the local trolley to nearby shopping and restaurants.
I would recommend it - highly.
One should know there is only valet parking and it costs an additional $25/ night to park a car. The hotel is a gem. I would stay there again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear dolceniente,
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to share your comments. I was pleased to learn of your satisfaction with all. Noticed you are from Jamestown, NY. I have a cousin that lives up there and have visited a few times. Great place. I hope we will have have an opportunity to be of service again in the near future.
Carmel, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

My wife and I spent 4 days at the Westin Alexandria...staff was terrific...hotel was very clean...location was very convenient to the Metro for trips to DC and the trolley to Old Town Alexandria...

Highly recommended

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
WestinAlexndria, General Manager at Westin Alexandria, responded to this review, April 21, 2013
Dear Mark k,
Thanks for staying with us recently and taking the time to share your comments. I was delighted to learn of your satisfaction with our staff, service and location. Hope to see you back again soon.
Allentown, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

We picked this hotel due to its location. We wanted to be able to walk to the subway and to restaurants. It did not disappoint in these areas. The King St metro is at most a 5 min. easy walk. There are restaurants you can walk to from the hotel or you can catch the free King St trolley at the metro station and access all the restaurants in old town. We felt safe walking around the area even at night with 2 kids. The rooms are nice and were clean and well maintained. They also have a safe and refrigerator that we found very useful! My kids enjoyed the pool - it is not huge, but big enough. Most importantly it was warm! We have been to plenty of hotel pools that are freezing and it ruins the experience. You have to pay to have internet access in your room - seems like this should be included and most hotels do at this point - this is when you feel you are being nickeled and dimed. Internet access is free in the lobby at least. Also we chose the green option - not to have our linens changed. But this means nobody comes to even empty the garbage or refill the coffee. We asked for this to be done on our second day, as we stayed 3 nights. Housekeeping was promptly sent up and took care of it. We usually like to stay at hotels that include breakfast, but sacrificed this for location. There is a Starbucks that has bagels on the same block as the hotel. There is also an Einstein bagel shop a few doors down from the Starbucks, but it was not open on the weekend (Starbucks was). Also like that you can bring your dog to the hotel. We did not bring our pooch this visit but may the next time we come - this would also be a reason to stay here again - and the rate seems reasonable if you have a dog. Alexandria appeared to be very dog friendly - we saw a lot of dogs around! Alexandria even has a cruise where you can bring your dog during the summer and have bikes that have an attachment for dogs. After we checked out we wanted to spend time in old town so we went to the visitor center and you can get a free parking pass for 24 hrs - between this and the free trolley it is very easy to visit Alexandria!!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 844 and our view was of the roof - we could see nothing!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
WestinAlexndria, General Manager at Westin Alexandria, responded to this review, April 7, 2013
Dear nmesq,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to share your comments. Glad to hear you enjoyed the hotel and our conveninece to Old Town. Looking forward to being of service again.
Montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

We stayed 2 nights at the Westin and were pleasantly surprised by the excellent front desk staff (esp. Vanessa). It was a breeze checking in and we were given a nice room with all the things we needed for our baby.

There was a problem with noise that night, some construction and we heard drills at 9pm, but once we called the desk, it stopped. We also had a problem with the faucet, but that was repaired quickly. The manager took care of this issue very well.

For a family this place is suitable and well-located for the metro to D.C. It is close to the Whole Foods and Starbucks and in a nice part of town- away from "downtown" Alexandria. It's more quiet.

But beware, the halls were noisy with kids running up and down and you can hear conversations. The doors are also ill devised and slam loudly. Too bad more care wasnt taken to correct this annoyance.

Dear smithid,
Thanks for staying with us. I was pleased to learn of your satisfaction witht our service, particularly with the front desk and Vanessa. It appears you did encounter some noise issues which were responded to appropriately and we will continue to look closer at our security staffing during high family occupancy weekends to enable a quieter experience for all. Hope to see you again soon!
Queens, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

We stayed here one night while visiting DC in late March. The hotel is about a 10-minute walk from a DC Metro station and King Street, the major commercial area with lots of quaint shops and restaurants. The staff was very welcoming and the check-in was prompt. The room decor was nice and contemporary, the bed was comfortable, the rain shower was relaxing. Everything was up to the standards of a Westin. The hotel also has a indoor pool and a nice gym, but we did not have time to try them out. We will stay here again if visit the area.

The only drawback is that they only offer valet parking and no free in-room wifi.

nj
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

We stayed here for 3 night with our 2 little girls and our dog. The hotel is very clean, however they do not have any of the items offered that made this hotel appealing to us. They had no roll away cribs or pack n plays, no bed rails for the roll away bed, no welcome gift for the kids, no doggie bed or bowls for our dog. We even had an issue where someone else's dog was barking, and they knocked on our door to say quiet your dog...it wasn't our dog...he had been asleep for at least an hour at that point (and he's not a barker anyway)...we'll definitely be trying a different hotel next trip...there are plenty of hotels in the area that will actually provide the services they advertise.

Room Tip: Rooms are very small if you are traveling with more then 1 or 2 people. Don't expect them to ac...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
WestinAlexndria, General Manager at Westin Alexandria, responded to this review, March 31, 2013
Dear KristenNJ,
Thank you for staying with us this past weekend. I wanted to extend my sincere apologies for the inconveniences you experienced. We do in fact offer the items mentioned in your comments ( cribs, kids welcome pack, dog bowls and bed ) and it causes us to review how we are handling these requests going forward. I will say that this past weekend we had many more families ( with babies and dogs) staying with us than anticipated and we ran out of numerous items including the cribs and others you mentioned. That undoubtedly is the reason we were unable to accomodate you properly. Again my apologies. We will review our inventories on these items and anticipate better in the future for periods such as this. I do hope that we might have an opportunity to be of service to you and your family again and welcome you to reach out to me directly so I can look after your accomodations. I am anxious to show you that this experience was the exception and not the rule.
Rich Casale

Been to Westin Alexandria? Share your experiences!