“Outstanding Service, Fabulous Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Special Deal
Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #17 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
Mission Viejo, California
“Outstanding Service, Fabulous Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

My daughter and I stayed at the Westin Hotel in Alexandria, Virginia. It is a gorgeous place with an interesting theme related to the many Federal Patent offices near it...who could imagine that? The restaurant inside the hotel is delicious, thought a little high priced for some guests. The hotel is clean, far above average in style, located in a nice area, and the staff is outstanding. The 8 or so staff members we encountered were friendly and "can do" employees who took us in the hotel's shuttle willingly and with a wonderfully helpful attitude. The concierge, Jay, is resourceful, and has access to many local sites and those in DC. He got us reservations whenever we asked him, and always had a greeting and smile. These people really made our visit more enjoyable. Thank you, Westin Alexandria and staff.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

509 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

I come here every year for ameeting and the service has always been excellent. It is well-located to access the metro and Old Town. As others have noted, there are no restaurants in the immesate area, but the concierege was very helpful in helping us locate a good restaurant and even had a discount coupon for us. The shuttle was extremely prompt both ways. The rooms are very quiet.

The downsides are the price of the restaurant. I cannot eat there and fit under my per diem, even for breakfast. The portions are enormous; I typically could eat about half of what I was served. It'd be great if they reduced their portion size and lowered the proces slightly. But overall, it's a good hotel for business trvael.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
WestinAlexndria, General Manager at Westin Alexandria, responded to this review, March 31, 2013
Dear bluebnt,
Thank you for staying with us. It was great to know of your satisfaction with our services. I appreciate the comments concerning the restaurant. We will continue to evaluate the pricing and food offerings to see if there are any opportunites to address your concerns. Since you did mention the restaurant availability around the hotel, I did want to indicate that there are about half a dozen very good restuarnats within 5-10 minutes walking distance open for both lunch and dinner. Our concierge can point those out to you next time in. The many other restaurants in Old Town are quickly accessible as well by taking our shuttle. Thanks again.
sherwood park, Alberta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

we stayed for 3 nights as part of our move to the DC area.

some positives are:
1) excellent staff - the valet couldn't have been any more helpful with helping fetch porters for the 10 or so bags that we had with us (funny how all those things you didn't pack add up), and the porter was very gentle with our stuff. he spotted luggage that had been damaged by the airline which we hadn't noticed and made sure to remind us to claim it right away (yet more damage by a double A rated airline that gets an F for baggage handling and customer service). the front desk people were very pleasant and efficient.

2) spacious room (for all 10 bags), plus a small fridge in the room. nice beds. plus, you can get exercise gear for a one time $5 fee for the duration of your stay. and the sneakers were in new condition - i was half expecting them to look like "bowling alley" shoes.

3)westin alexandria = endless hot water + plush bathrobes + quiet rooms = great after a hard day

things to watch out for:
1) no coffee in the lobby. yes, there is the de riguer coffee maker in the room, but its not the same. there is a starbucks just around the corner. no big deal when its nice and sunny. not so great when you have to go outside in the early morning on a cold, blustery and rainy day to get coffee.

2) there is only one restaurant. it would be ok if not for the fact that someone booked a private party occupying more than half the place and being extremely loud as well. hard to eat if you can't sit, even a the bar.

3) no restaurants or bars in the immediate vicinity. yes, there are a couple several blocks away. it would not be a big deal when its nice and sunny and warm. but in cold, blustery conditions late at night, its not a great. there is a shuttle bus, but those things are never around when you want to go out for a quick bite and a drink. (by the way, there are several shuttered / closed restaurants around this westin, so its probably not for lack of trying).

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
WestinAlexndria, General Manager at Westin Alexandria, responded to this review, March 24, 2013
Dear Howho,

Thanks for staying with us and taking the time to share your comments. I was delighted to learn of your satisfaction with our staff and accomodations. My apologies concerning the private function in the restaurant/bar area which made your experience there less than comfortable and we will certainly be more concious of that going forward as we arrange for these types of events. Hope to see you again soon.

Wexford, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights and really enjoyed my stay, the restaurant was lovely for both breakfast and dinner. The room was nice, comfy bed. Although the hotel is busy, the rooms are very quiet which is great. The location is possibly the hotels best feature, very close to restaurants and other amenities like the cinema.

The only slight negative is the cost of valet parking, 26 dollars per day, steep!

Room Tip: Both myself and my colleague both got rooms which had facilities for disabled people, as a result th...
Dear jamesmwhite,

Thanks for staying with us and taking the time to comment on the hotel. Glad you enjoyed everything!

Knoxville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Ronald provided superior service! I've stay at this hotel at least three times, but I've never been so impressed by the front desk service. Check-in was no hassle. I received a package, and Ronald had it delivered to my room. Last year, the front desk personnel gave my package to someone else. I checked on on Thursday. On Sunday, Ronald still remembered my name.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
WestinAlexndria, General Manager at Westin Alexandria, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
Dear WilliamH,

So glad to know you have returned for another visit and that all went well. Thanks for taking the time to share your comments about Ronald. He takes great pride in taking care of our guests and I know he will be very pleased to hear how his efforts exceeded your expectations. Hope to see you again soon.

Lakewood, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Stayed here two nights for a conference/business trip. Very comfortable place with a convenient shuttle (not to the airport however), but it's walking distance to the King Street Metro Station and you can take the blue line to and from National. Also across the street from the courthouse. Close to Old Town Alexandria and other sites and convenient to hop on the Metro to downtown DC. There's a Starbucks just around the corner (hallelujah!) which makes mornings great, and the hotel restaurant, Trademark, is pricey but very decent. Had great front desk, concierge and luggage service, too. And of course there's those beds and the Heavenly Shower. The fitness facility is way above average, and for a mere $5 you can get a pair of New Balance shoes, workout gear and keep the socks. What's not to love?

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
WestinAlexndria, General Manager at Westin Alexandria, responded to this review, March 10, 2013
Dear Leenda324,

It was great to hear from you as a confence guest at our hotel recently. Thanks for taking the time to share your comments and I was delighted to hear of your satisfaction with your stay. You pointed out so many of the advantages to staying with us from our signature restaurant Trademark to Starbucks to the Heavenly Bed and Shower to the Fitness Facility and our new Workout Gear Lending program. Lastly, thanks or your comments regarding our staff which I am sure they will be delighted to see. Look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Voorhees, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

I am a manager in the Northeast and my residence is in central VA. My hubby and I wanted to find a spot that was exactly in the middle. So, we landed on Alexandria. We thought we would simply meet and spend time together for the evening...something simple. However, upon encountering John "Jay" Johnson (Conceirge) - he helped us turn our night into something fantastic. We know that it is the Conceirge job to find you a place to eat, give you directions, and make you feel welcomed. He did all of this to the 10th degree. Jay was so hospitable, thorough, and helpful. Upon arriving, Jay helped me get checked in (ensuring I got a great view of beautiful Alexandria), made reservations for us at two locations (fantastic selections too), and helped me locate my husband (who was lost). He greeted us upon our return by name and was even there the next day at check out - making checkout personal/quick/easy. He was just amazing - making me want to come back to the hotel to have such personal (VIP) service like he provided. The amenities were very nice...beds were comfy (I slept very well) and breakfast was also delicious. However, I feel that it was a bit pricy for what I ordered.

I look forward to our next visit to this Westin!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear ICUTam,

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments comcerning your recent stay. It was great to learn of your experience with our concierge Jay. From the sound of things, he made helped make your stay very special. I know he will enjoy reading your comments. Looking forward to seeing you again soon.

Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Westin Alexandria? Share your experiences!