“Amazing Hospitality” 5 of 5 stars

Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #18 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
“Amazing Hospitality”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

The Westin in Alexandria surpassed our expectations. Before arriving I called the front desk and asked if I could check in early because I wasn't feeling well. Robin answered and she allowed us to check in hours before the check in time so I could rest. When we arrived, she saw that I was in my pjs looking sick. She asked if I needed extra blankets or chicken soup. Without even asking, a beautiful bowl of chicken broth, crackers, oranges, ginger ale and tea was sent to my room. She even sent the sweetest get well card. Its usually very uncomfortable to be away from home when you're sick. Not at the Westin of Alexandria! The room, the service and the location are perfect. We will be loyal to the Westin on our upcoming trips to the area.

502 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
washington dc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

If you have business at the Courthouse or at the United States Patent and Trademark Office, you could not be at a better location. The Metro is a 5-10 minute walk away if you want to go downtown; however, I didn't feel that comfortable walking from it late at night so take the hotel shuttle. The hotel itself was very pleasant and the staff were helpful. The gym has good equipment and the treadmills face the Courthouse so you'll have a view while running. The only thing that was problematic with my visit was that the water pressure in the room sink was so weak that I considered calling the front desk to have them address it (I didn't). Other than that everything with my visit was excellent. The room was very clean and comfortable. Very satisfied customer.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't face the outside courtyard. I couldn't ever have my window curt...
Northern VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

My husband I stayed here because we were going to a concert at the Birchmere and did not want to drive about an hour home after the show. Check in was very smooth and the front desk attendant was very nice. The room was nice. I wish they would have given us two robes in the bathroom instead of one. We had a king room. Nice area for happy hour. We would stay here again. We got a pretty good rate on priceline.com. $99

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

I recently stayed at the Westin Alexandria for a conference and thought the hotel was in excellent shape and I had a really comfortable stay. Of course the beds were amazing (nothing comes close to a Westin heavenly bed!). The room was clean, the lobby and conference space was stylish and classy and all in all it was a great hotel experience! The fitness area was also really nice. This gets marked down one circle because I thought the rooms were a little noisy - I could hear the person sharing a wall with me one of the nights I was there. Additionally, it is not walking distance from King Street, which is the center of Alexandria. Those of you coming here by train and getting off at Union Station in DC, be prepared to pay a 40 dollar cab ride!

Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Westin Alexandria for one night recently because we attended a work holiday party in the hotel.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. The building and hotel room are attractive. There's a very small gift shop in the lobby, but it is tiny and doesn't have much selection. It did have the necessities though, so I was able to pick up tooth paste and a tooth brush, which I forgot at home.

The bed was very comfortable, and we had a great view of a small park and the courthouse across the street. The bathroom was great with a big rainforest shower head and detachable shower heads, as well. There was a bit of a mildew smell in the shower, though.

We ordered room service for breakfast. It was very expensive. Note that they automatically charge both a service fee and tip to the room service checks.

My husband and I enjoyed the hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

We stayed with our two children over Thanksgiving. Got a great rate through Hotwire, less than $100/night (but beware - parking is $26/night). Hotel is beautiful, clean, service was overall excellent. If I were travelling on business it would have been perfect. The hotel is not located in the Old Town tourist district, rather in the commercial section slightly farther away. You'll be surrounded by high-rise office buildings and courthouses. No shopping or dining options within walking distance to speak of although there is a movie theater not too far away. However, it is a short walk to the Metro, and a hotel shuttle will take you anywhere you want to go in the Old Town tourist district for free.

I was expecting Westin's signature kids-friendly style but unfortunately didn't get it at this location. They did not have most of the kids items in stock that their brochure claimed they did. Because it's located in the business district, it gets dark and desolate after business hours. The restaurant (while trendy) is definitely intimidating for those with younger kids. Children under 16 are not allowed in the hot tub. And internet access is $10/day minimum.

So, while I would definitely recommend this Westin for business travelers, I would have to tell those traveling with children to check out the Monaco or another property in the area instead that caters a little more toward families.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
WestinAlexndria, General Manager at Westin Alexandria, responded to this review, March 10, 2013
Dear noellossie,

Thank you for staying with us recently and for sharing your comments. While it appears that you did have an enjoyable stay, it seems we could have done more for your family. I did make note of your comments concerning our shortcomings there and we are addressing accordingly to insure that children are made to feel more welcome. Thanks again for taking the time to give us your constructive feedback.

Rich Casale
Williston, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

The Westin's concierge, John Johnson, is truly a gem! Whether giving a tip for good shopping on King Street or making a dinner recommendations in DC, John is great. Thank you!

This is my second time visiting the Westin in Alexandra and it was a pleasure. It was for a meeting so the hotel was not my choice. A staff that can keep their composures and smiles for 4 days with a group of women is a task but they do it like the professionals that they are.

The walk to the metro station may be a little far for some people but the hotel has a shuttle that will take you there. The shuttle will also take you to and pick you up from your dinner AND shopping on King Street. The van driver is very nice and a great driver. You don't always get both of those together in a driver but they have it at the Westin Alexandria.

The banquet food was very good and they service was great. The banquet staff was friendly and accommodating to any need with kindness.

The "Trademark" bar has good food and drinks with a very attentive and welcoming wait staff. Try the spinach and artichoke dip.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to Westin Alexandria? Share your experiences!