“Really nice and comfortable” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #19 of 49 Hotels in Alexandria
Washington, DC
“Really nice and comfortable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Westin Alexandria for one night recently because we attended a work holiday party in the hotel.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. The building and hotel room are attractive. There's a very small gift shop in the lobby, but it is tiny and doesn't have much selection. It did have the necessities though, so I was able to pick up tooth paste and a tooth brush, which I forgot at home.

The bed was very comfortable, and we had a great view of a small park and the courthouse across the street. The bathroom was great with a big rainforest shower head and detachable shower heads, as well. There was a bit of a mildew smell in the shower, though.

We ordered room service for breakfast. It was very expensive. Note that they automatically charge both a service fee and tip to the room service checks.

My husband and I enjoyed the hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

We stayed with our two children over Thanksgiving. Got a great rate through Hotwire, less than $100/night (but beware - parking is $26/night). Hotel is beautiful, clean, service was overall excellent. If I were travelling on business it would have been perfect. The hotel is not located in the Old Town tourist district, rather in the commercial section slightly farther away. You'll be surrounded by high-rise office buildings and courthouses. No shopping or dining options within walking distance to speak of although there is a movie theater not too far away. However, it is a short walk to the Metro, and a hotel shuttle will take you anywhere you want to go in the Old Town tourist district for free.

I was expecting Westin's signature kids-friendly style but unfortunately didn't get it at this location. They did not have most of the kids items in stock that their brochure claimed they did. Because it's located in the business district, it gets dark and desolate after business hours. The restaurant (while trendy) is definitely intimidating for those with younger kids. Children under 16 are not allowed in the hot tub. And internet access is $10/day minimum.

So, while I would definitely recommend this Westin for business travelers, I would have to tell those traveling with children to check out the Monaco or another property in the area instead that caters a little more toward families.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
WestinAlexndria, General Manager at Westin Alexandria, responded to this review, March 10, 2013
Dear noellossie,

Thank you for staying with us recently and for sharing your comments. While it appears that you did have an enjoyable stay, it seems we could have done more for your family. I did make note of your comments concerning our shortcomings there and we are addressing accordingly to insure that children are made to feel more welcome. Thanks again for taking the time to give us your constructive feedback.

Williston, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

The Westin's concierge, John Johnson, is truly a gem! Whether giving a tip for good shopping on King Street or making a dinner recommendations in DC, John is great. Thank you!

This is my second time visiting the Westin in Alexandra and it was a pleasure. It was for a meeting so the hotel was not my choice. A staff that can keep their composures and smiles for 4 days with a group of women is a task but they do it like the professionals that they are.

The walk to the metro station may be a little far for some people but the hotel has a shuttle that will take you there. The shuttle will also take you to and pick you up from your dinner AND shopping on King Street. The van driver is very nice and a great driver. You don't always get both of those together in a driver but they have it at the Westin Alexandria.

The banquet food was very good and they service was great. The banquet staff was friendly and accommodating to any need with kindness.

The "Trademark" bar has good food and drinks with a very attentive and welcoming wait staff. Try the spinach and artichoke dip.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Charleston, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We stayed here for the Thanksgiving weekend and booked via Priceline "name your own price". Consequently, we had a very pleasant stay at a reasonable rate.

Room was clean and good size. Excellent bed/ mattress and it is a quite property.

Hotel is just a short 6 minute walk to the King Street Metro stop - very convenient. However, although it is technically in "Old Alexandria" this is really a business hotel in a new business park complex that exists unto itself and is not what one would consider Old Town. Except for a Starbucks around the corner, all the shops are open only M - F and do not stay open much past 5 pm quitting time.

They do offer a shuttle to the area (we never used it) but the hotel is a good 20 to 30 minute walk to the heart of King Street district.

Roxboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

My partner and I were invited to see the Redskins vs. Eagles home game at the FedEx Field stadium this past weekend and stayed at this hotel to combine a site visit with some fabulous fun and what a great time had by all! From the moment we arrived at 12:35pm Saturday night with a warm welcome and yes, they left the light on for us, to the sweet cozy Executive suite of a room with awesome lighting and extradinary comfort, until we departed Monday mid-day, it was fantastic! This hotel is nestled right in the heart of everywhere and within walking distance to everything, King Street, Duke Street, markets, shops, museums and many many restaurants including the "Trademark" located inside Westin. We had breakfast there. Although my friend got an awesome Marketplace burger for breakfast he had the right thing in mind as I sampled a bite, it was delicious! I plan to bring a group of approximately 125 with me the next time around and knowing that the hospitality is so warm and friendly makes for something to look forward to that I hope all will enjoy in 2013! Fabulous stay, fabulous time!

Room Tip: Corner suites are to die for! Large and sunny if no overcast that is... Love the green leaf soap...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Saint Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

While the Westin is a very nice looking hotel we had a things we did not like and it really seemed like the staff was somewhat irritated when they actually had to help. Great location near both King Street and the King Street Metro Station. Street parking is very, very limited so be prepared to pay a decent amount for hotel parking. I was irritated that they offered no soda.soft drinks except in the small shop adjacent to the front desk. Other than that you could go to the bar and pay almost $4.00 for a fountain soda or order thru room service only. The bed was tremendous as most Westin's are but overall the best I can say for my three day please stay is that it is an average city hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
WestinAlexndria, General Manager at Westin Alexandria, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
Dear Steve,

Thank you for staying with us recently and for taking the time to share your comments. I am concerned with what appeared to be a lack of attention from our staff and would certainly like to offer my apologies and gather more detail from you. If possible, I would appreciate it if you could reach out directly to me concerning that. We take great pride in our personalized service and must have failed you in that regard. I did also note your comment regarding the difficulty in getting a soda and we will take a closer look at how that is handled in an effort to make it more convenient for our guests. Thank you.

Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

My husband and I are newlyweds and spent the weekend at The Westin Alexandria. From the minute we walked through the doors we knew we were going to have a wonderful experience. Ronald checked us in at the front desk and immediately made it clear that we were going to be taken care of. He gave us a room on the 8th floor with a great view. He also recommended a couple of nice restaurants within walking distance and told us to call him if we needed anything. After spending several hours outside the hotel celebrating, we returned to our room where we were welcomed by a bottle of champagne and chocolate covered strawbe
rries! Customer service means everything to us and we couldn't have been more pleased with Ronald, Jay and everyone at the front desk. We told Ronald that we'd definetly be back!!

Room Tip: The top floor has a great view!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Erica S,

Thank you for staying with us. I was delighted to learn about your expereince and in particular the attention you got from Ronald and Jay. Thanks also for taking the time to share your comments. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Rich Casale

Been to Westin Alexandria? Share your experiences!