“A good hotel with some drawbacks” 4 of 5 stars

Special Deal
Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #21 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
Charleston, South Carolina
“A good hotel with some drawbacks”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We stayed here for the Thanksgiving weekend and booked via Priceline "name your own price". Consequently, we had a very pleasant stay at a reasonable rate.

Room was clean and good size. Excellent bed/ mattress and it is a quite property.

Hotel is just a short 6 minute walk to the King Street Metro stop - very convenient. However, although it is technically in "Old Alexandria" this is really a business hotel in a new business park complex that exists unto itself and is not what one would consider Old Town. Except for a Starbucks around the corner, all the shops are open only M - F and do not stay open much past 5 pm quitting time.

They do offer a shuttle to the area (we never used it) but the hotel is a good 20 to 30 minute walk to the heart of King Street district.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

465 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Roxboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

My partner and I were invited to see the Redskins vs. Eagles home game at the FedEx Field stadium this past weekend and stayed at this hotel to combine a site visit with some fabulous fun and what a great time had by all! From the moment we arrived at 12:35pm Saturday night with a warm welcome and yes, they left the light on for us, to the sweet cozy Executive suite of a room with awesome lighting and extradinary comfort, until we departed Monday mid-day, it was fantastic! This hotel is nestled right in the heart of everywhere and within walking distance to everything, King Street, Duke Street, markets, shops, museums and many many restaurants including the "Trademark" located inside Westin. We had breakfast there. Although my friend got an awesome Marketplace burger for breakfast he had the right thing in mind as I sampled a bite, it was delicious! I plan to bring a group of approximately 125 with me the next time around and knowing that the hospitality is so warm and friendly makes for something to look forward to that I hope all will enjoy in 2013! Fabulous stay, fabulous time!

Room Tip: Corner suites are to die for! Large and sunny if no overcast that is... Love the green leaf soap...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Saint Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

While the Westin is a very nice looking hotel we had a things we did not like and it really seemed like the staff was somewhat irritated when they actually had to help. Great location near both King Street and the King Street Metro Station. Street parking is very, very limited so be prepared to pay a decent amount for hotel parking. I was irritated that they offered no soda.soft drinks except in the small shop adjacent to the front desk. Other than that you could go to the bar and pay almost $4.00 for a fountain soda or order thru room service only. The bed was tremendous as most Westin's are but overall the best I can say for my three day please stay is that it is an average city hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
WestinAlexndria, General Manager at Westin Alexandria, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
Dear Steve,

Thank you for staying with us recently and for taking the time to share your comments. I am concerned with what appeared to be a lack of attention from our staff and would certainly like to offer my apologies and gather more detail from you. If possible, I would appreciate it if you could reach out directly to me concerning that. We take great pride in our personalized service and must have failed you in that regard. I did also note your comment regarding the difficulty in getting a soda and we will take a closer look at how that is handled in an effort to make it more convenient for our guests. Thank you.

Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

My husband and I are newlyweds and spent the weekend at The Westin Alexandria. From the minute we walked through the doors we knew we were going to have a wonderful experience. Ronald checked us in at the front desk and immediately made it clear that we were going to be taken care of. He gave us a room on the 8th floor with a great view. He also recommended a couple of nice restaurants within walking distance and told us to call him if we needed anything. After spending several hours outside the hotel celebrating, we returned to our room where we were welcomed by a bottle of champagne and chocolate covered strawbe
rries! Customer service means everything to us and we couldn't have been more pleased with Ronald, Jay and everyone at the front desk. We told Ronald that we'd definetly be back!!

Room Tip: The top floor has a great view!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Erica S,

Thank you for staying with us. I was delighted to learn about your expereince and in particular the attention you got from Ronald and Jay. Thanks also for taking the time to share your comments. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

We landed onto DCA airport at 10AM, and then it took us less than half an hour to get there, by taking the subway. Actually the nearest subway station(King St station) near to the hotel is just 2-or-3 stops from the airport subway station. It's a 10 minute walk(0.5 mile) from King St station to the hotel.

And then we were able to do an early checkin and unload all our luggages, after signing up the SPG membership at the front desk. That made our D.C. trip much much more enjoyable.

Talking about the location again, although it's only 0.5 mile from the King St station, there're a couple of other nice hotels around the station which are only 0.1 mile away. It's just a 0.4 mile diference, but seems a long 0.4 mile there.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear zhe z,

Thank you for staying with us recently and thank you for taing the time to comment. From the sound of things, it appears our front desk staff took good care of you. Also it sounds as though you found the experience of getting to and from the hotel and the airport fairly efficient and uncomplicated by taking metro. As you pointed out we are close to the metro and old town. Further, for our guests convenience we do offer shuttle service on demand to and from the metro and throughout old town. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Nothing like being helped by the most professional/personable folks to make your stay extra special. Even though the only restaurant in the hotel was closed (not great timing on a remodel), Robin and Ron made it up for it with their amazing service...even while we were stuck a few extra days during Sandy. Thanks again for making our visit to the city and for the Marine Corp. Marathon a memorable one!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Honolulu, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I had the pleasure of staying at Westin Alexandria for a business trip. From the moment I entered the lobby, Ronald from the front desk greeted me, checked me in and gave me all of the information I needed about the hotel. He explained amenities such as dining, renovations, exercise equipment, and answered any other questions I had. AWESOME service. STELLAR personality. Antime I am in Alexandria Westin will be my choice..Thanks Ronald

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Westin Alexandria? Share your experiences!