“Second stay... getting better.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #18 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
Detroit, Michigan
“Second stay... getting better.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2008

Second stay at this still-fairly-new property; was here in Dec 07.

Still a very nice place… Excellent location in the Carlyle area, which is all very new. Still a good schlep if you have to walk to or from the King Street Metro station. (Of course, that’s not going to change, is it? They can’t move the place, right?) Rooms are standard Westin (which is good) with the cool new riser plug contraption on the desk. Heavenly Bed and Bath, excellent broadband in the room, and free 10meg wifi in the lobby and bar area. I do not, though, like the big box contraption that connects your laptop to the flat screen tv. Cool tech, and I used it once to rehearse a preso, but the box is the size of a phone book. Pls, get this off the desk.

Had a dinner in the terribly underutilized restaurant, and the food came out fast and hot. Service crisp and professional. My second evening, I had an early dinner with colleagues, and returned to the bar area to work emails. The hostess/greeter remembered me from the prior night, and walked over to greet me, by name, and ask if I’d like the same wine I’d had the prior night. Nice, nice touch.

I did not opt for the offered upgrade to Club… they still wanted $50. Sorry, but seeing the food they had last time, you’re better off without it… room was the same. My glass of wine in the bar was $6, and appetizer was $8. Wifi available in the bar, not in Club lounge. At 6:30am they connected me with a Starbucks for $2. So, I got better stuff and service for $16 than I would have gotten up top for the $50… PLUS paying for the wine up in the Club Lounge.

Also… I’m SPG Gold, so I hit Starwood pretty regularly. I don’t want to be petty, but usually, there is a “thank you for staying with us so much” at check in, or a couple of chocolates at turn-down, or a “we’re putting you in a larger room”. Here, nothing. I had one standard complimentary bottle of water, but it was not replaced the next day. So, this is not yet a Westin that has figured out how to handle frequent travelers. C’mon guys, at Hyatt, I can’t get off the phone with an operator without being thanked, by name, for my frequent patronage. This Westin can’t even toss me an Andes mint?

As I assessed in December, location is excellent, and the hard goods are well executed. The software… the most important part here, still needs a little bit of work. Nicer digs than the Embassy Suites, and more mod than the Hilton, but still, overall, just barely competitive with the Hilton Alexandria. Check rates… between the Westin and Hilton, take the cheaper of the two, and you’ll be fine… If you’re visiting as a tourist, the King Street Metro access from the Hilton would tilt in their favour real fast.

All this said, I’ll return happily in the future (but will still check the Hilton’s rates!)

• Liked — New property, fresh look and feel...
  • Disliked — Employees still polishing rough edges...
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2008

I will second the good reviews this hotel is getting. I don't understand the negative ones. This is a new luxury hotel. The staff is well trained and friendly. The rooms aren't isolation chambers, but I wasn't bothered by knowing someone was in the room next door. The bathrooms are heavenly and big enough. What do people do in the bathroom to make them want a larger bathroom? The hotel is decorated in a contemporary style. It's beautiful. Everything is new and clean. Large flat screen HD TV in my room. I had two double beds; heavenly beds are an appropriate description.

Once one knows where the hotel is, relative to the King Street Metro Station, it's a short ten minute walk through an upscale business - condo neighborhood. Use the sidewalk on the north side of Diagonal Road and the underpass to the Carlyle development. King Street from the Metro Station to the water front is delighful; a mile or so.

• Liked — It's newness
  • Disliked — Additional charge for internet access in your room. Free in the lobby.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Lynchburg, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2008

My husband and I really enjoyed our stay at the Westin in February. The entire staff was very friendly. Stayed in a regular king room. Bed was comfortable. Couldn't quite get the room temp. adjusted -either a little too hot or too cold. Also, our room overlooked a big pit in the ground/construction site. It was the weekend, so there was no work going on, but it might be noisy on a weekday. The best thing about the bathroom was a hairdryer that actually dried my long hair. We had drinks and dinner at the hotel on Friday night and enjoyed the ambiance. The complimentary scallops/risotto appetizers were tasty. Entree prices were reasonable, and the tuna was delicious. The wine and other drinks were pricier. The location is a bit out of the way from Old Town, but the weather was nice and we didn't mind the walk. If I can get my husband to stop complaining about the $25/day valet parking, we will definitely stay here again!

• Liked — room, service
  • Disliked — location to old town, pricy valet parking
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2008

I enjoyed my stay at the Annapolis Westin. The room was elegant, clean and relatively spacious. The bed was delightful. Service was good. The gym was fine - new equipment although not a lot of it. The hotel common spaces are elegant and beautifully decorated. My only real complaint was that there didn't seem to be much of a gift shop/snack bar area, and that, being a new hotel, they were working through some of the kinks, like internet service to the rooms.

• Liked — the room was beautiful
  • Disliked — lack of snack shop, internet wasn't working
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2008

We stayed at Room 421 last weekend 2nd/3rd February.
Room was well equipped,good bed,luxurious bathroom,LCD-TV.Comfortable aircondition,a bit noisy,but you might
prefer having the ventilator on instead of hearing your neighbours.
For internet they charge 10 Dollars,for the valet parking 24,room was
123(great offer).
They allow dogs and we had one nextdoor which was alone in the room at nighthours from roughly 8 to 11 pm and was howling and moaning.Walls to thin,normal talk from the next room could be heard and understood.
Beautiful Lobby,friendly receptionist,but a little unaware of customers wishes.Had to repeat several times.

• Liked — Roomsize,bed,bath
  • Disliked — sound isolation
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
winter springs,fl
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2008

our room 472 had a view of the garbage bins at 430 am or 500am we heard a beep beep beep noise and then the crash of the dumpster being emptied then beep beep beep again, the room is small by all means. The we paid for parking not valet service and we were told that we cant park our own car. we had such hard time even after they let us each night we went round and round with them even after they said it was ok. Over all the service was very slow at the front det checking in was a chore
Towels were an issue. toilet paper etc

Stayed January 2008
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2008

New hotel, so it's immaculate. Beds, linens very comfy. Staff friendly. Ate dinner in hotel restaurant - great food, excellent service. Highly recommend hotel. One note: in-room bottles of water were clearly marked with price ($4.95) but Starbucks coffeepods were not. The coffee appears to be complimentary (as it is in sooooo many other hotels), but I was charged ~$9 for two single-cup pods. Not a big deal, but I was surprised when I got my email receipt.

Stayed January 2008

Been to Westin Alexandria? Share your experiences!