“Imperfect choice” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
Middletown, OH
“Imperfect choice”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

My mom and 2 sons selected this hotel via a discount site for our 5-day trip to Washington, D.C. The hotel is beautiful, clean and comfortable. Knowing what I know now, I'd have chosen a different hotel, though. Our intention was to see Washington, D.C., but this hotel is several Metro stops away from D.C. We thought we'd save money by not staying in the city, but even if we did, I'm not sure it was worth it.

Some problems we experienced: the hotel has pricy valet parking, which is $24 a day. We missed having easy access to our car, and those fees really add up fast. You can have your car whenever you want, but you have to have the valet service retrieve it, and then you end up needing to tip the valet. Expensive and a hassle.

We missed having a little refrigerator in our room. They provide an alcohol bar-type thing, but it's not a refrigerator. We had fruits and yogurt go bad, and we'd have saved restaurant leftovers if we had had a room fridge.

The hotel is a bit far from good restaurant choices. There's a decent eatery in the hotel, but it's pricy. The hotel offers a shuttle to nearby Alexandria sites, but we found the service to be imperfect. Several times we called the hotel's number, but couldn't reach anybody when we needed the shuttle. When you are worn out from touring, it's nice to have several restaurant options close by, and we missed having that.

The hotel doesn't offer free Wi-Fi. I was very disappointed when I found out that Wi-Fi was a pricy thing you have to pay extra for. Many low-rate hotels offer free Wi-Fi. What a drag to not have Internet available. You can get free Wi-Fi in the lobby, but I believe it's limited to one hour. I wanted the concierge to print something out for me, but he directed me to the second-floor business center where you have to pay. Grr.

As for travel into Washington, D.C., we learned how to use the Metro. There is a stop located about 3 or 4 blocks from the hotel. We took the Metro to the Federal Triangle stop, which is near the National Archives and other sites. We walked a lot touring, and at the end of the day became very tired. Having to catch the Metro and then walk home to the hotel was tiring. This hotel would be best for people who don't mind walking long distances.

Good thing: Starbucks coffee in the room and a Starbucks located right next door.

If I had to do it again, I'd have chosen a hotel in the heart of Washington D.C.

Room Tip: Note: We had four travelers and we got two double beds in one room. They wouldn't let us add a r...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

509 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

Stayed here on business and had mixed feelings. First, no shuttle to national airport, which the desk explains as being too far. Really? Other Alexandria hotels run shuttles. The desk helpfully describes a route by metro, but sclepping to an expensive hotel ( the walk is three blocks on arrivL) just doesn't jibe. Staff are nice and aim to please. The place is surprisingly noisy...thin walls and doors, which is evident when full. Honestly, it was okay but not all that, and not what I might expect from the Westin flag. Ps...no free in room room wifi and that is a big pet peeve!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Williamsburg, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

Stayed here for two nights while in DC for business. The hotel is nice, but the lobby can get noisy. Room was spacious bit showed signs of a lot of ware and tear. Bar was terrible and should be avoided.

San Jose, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

We booked Westin in Alexandria (Carlyle Square) based on the 4 star review on One Travel and have been regret since. The first night (Friday June 15, 2012), kids were tired after the red eye flight from California and a whole day touring museums, they took shower and and ready to have a good night sleep. All the sudden, an extremely loud music started right around mid-night from somewhere. I called frond desk and was told that there was a dance competition on 2nd floor (we stayed on 4th), "people are excited coming in and out", said the front desk girl (I could sense her own excitement as well from her tone). "can you exchange room for us, because we really want to sleep," I begged. "Sorry we are sold out,", "when will the dance finish?" I asked hopelessly, "6am, they are here for three nights." replied the front desk girl.

Not to mention, the night was an exciting salsa night for dancers and a totally miserable night for me and our kids and other guests who wanted to sleep at the hotel.

the next morning, I went to the front desk to find out a solution. A seemingly professional young lady in black suit greeted us with clear message: they could not exchange room for us and the music would continue for 2 more nights. I insisted on a solution, she simply said that other than a free breakfast coupon, there is nothing she could do at her pay rate. I asked to talk to her supervisor, "I am the person in charge today," she replied.

The music did continued for the next 2 nights, same as loud if not louder. We stayed for 4 nights, three of them turned out to be sleepless salsa nights. I am disappointed not only for their arrogance and insensitivity towards their customer, but also their failure to disclose an event that would adversely affect their customers' right of a good night sleep, something that you certainly would not expect happening at an establishment such as Westin, or not even a roadside motel.

A Very Disappointed Family on Vacation in Washington DC

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012 via mobile

We stayed for 3 nights as a Washington DC sightseeing vacation. The hotel is a 5 minute walk from the metro, which was nice. Theres not much around the hotel, although a 10-15 minute walk down King street will bring you close to Old Alexandria and some restaurants.

The rooms were clean and modern feeling, but the walls were quite thin and our connection door to the next room felt nonexistent. If anyone within 10 rooms of either side of you leaves their hotel room, you'll know, which can be frustrating early in the morning.

The first morning we noticed that we only had one big towel in the room. No big deal, we assumed the maid would replace our missing one that day. That night we realize that the maid hasn't replaced the missing one, but she did take the only one we had, so we are now down to zero towels. I called services, explained, and asked that towels be brought to us between 9:15 and 9:30 the next morning. At 9:35 the next morning, still towelless and now running late, I call again to the response of "we'll bring them right away". At 10am I call and ask where they keep the towels so that I can come get some, which finally coaxed them into bringing me some towels.

If you like slamming doors and air-drying after a shower, this is the place for you.

Delmar, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

The Westin is a relatively new and clean hotel. Paid about $230 for a double room, a very good value. Lobby very nice. Good location in Alexandria; 5 minute walk to metro and trolley. They have their own shuttle from about 8 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Very nice large room, well furnished and clean. The bed was super comfortable. The shower was good, not great.
The reason I did not give this hotel an excellent, is because the service was spotty; no big deal to some people, but important to others:
- Checked in at about 8 PM and no one at reception. Had to wait a minute for someone.
- Room service tray was in front of our room door when we checked in; called to have it removed; still there the following morning.
- Called front desk for a wake up call at 8 am (they do not have an automated system); was called at 6:30 am.
All things considered, I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012 via mobile

The biggest appeal is price- it was very reasonable. It's convenient to the metro but not to Old Town. Dont expect to rely on the hotel shuttle- very spotty. One morning there was no hot water from about 7-9. Our room wasnt cleaned after being out all day and returning at 330. On a Sunday morning, someone came and knocked on our door at 9 wanting to know what time we were checking out. Not sure why we were disturbed for that. So, service is not good.

• Stayed June 2012

Been to Westin Alexandria? Share your experiences!