“Superb Service, Excellent Facilities!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Deal
Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #18 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
Ohio
“Superb Service, Excellent Facilities!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

Wifey and I stayed at the Westin during the Memorial Day weekend and must what we say? It rarely gets any better than this. From the time you step into the lobby, the wonderful aroma transforms you and makes you realize this is a special place with people who will treat you special.

It begins with the doormen and bellhops who are always smiling and willing to lend a hand. The check-in is quite welcoming and the rooms are excellent with all the necessary toiletries and of course the famous “heavenly bed”. The Westin stock the rooms with high quality teas and Starbucks coffees, so for the early risers, you are taken care of.

We had breakfast one morning and it was delicious and well prepared. We also enjoyed cocktails and appetizers in the bar and had a wonderful time conversing with our bartender.

Our Concierge, John Johnson, is one of the finest and most respected in the industry. Not only does he recommend quality restaurants and locales, but John goes the extra step by ensuring you receive VIP treatment when you arrive at your destination point. Our hats off to John!

Then there is the shuttle driver, Teesfat Tesfal, who takes you into Old Town Alexandria and provides an impromptu tour of the city and some of the lesser-known historic sites. We were quite impressed with his enthusiasm knowledge.

Though we travel frequently, we only write reviews when we believe other TripAdvisors should be made aware of places that provide exemplary service. Clearly, the Westin Alexandria stands out as one of the best in this category.

We should also note that we have stayed at four and five-star boutique hotels in the area with “higher” ratings and will make the Westin Alexandria our new home there. Our thanks to the Assistant GM, Mete, for such a wonderful time!

Room Tip: Since the hotel is only a few blocks from the Metro, we recommend using the metro to go into DC for...

504 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

Booked this hotel through Hotwire at a discounted rate for a short trip to D.C. Well, a word of caution for all ya deal chasers: when you pick a true 4-star hotel (as in this case) whatever you save in room rates you'll lay out for expensive meals and parking.

The class of the hotel shows by its scent - and a very nice one, spa-like, in this case. An elaborate lobby, professional staff, check-in took no more than 2 minutes.

Vallet service was not that nimble - guys couldn't sort out at first who exactly would have the honor of parling my car, and started arguing not only between themselves but also with me - but nothing of a major concern.

The room was average size, neat; toiletries were not of a cheap kind, which was pleasant. Rather large beds, plenty of pillows, TV system with movies-on-demand. Make sure you ask for the key to the mini-bar.

The food was okay but nothing extraordinary. Room service was prompt.

The location is very convenient: about 15 minutes by car from the Mall.

Guys at the front desk were courteous enough to let me use their own recharger for my phone (by the way, they have a whole bunch of them for various phone types, specifically for guests - but in my case there was no matching jack).

All in all, a very positive experience.

Knoxville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

Our family enjoyed staying here during our visit to Mount Vernon. The rooms were very nice and super comfortable and clean. It is everything you expect from a Westin. The kids enjoyed the indoor pool. The shuttle service to/from Old Town was great too! Our driver was very helpful and very nice.

Richmond-upon-Thames, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

Courteous and helpful staff, great ambience and a very comfortable room and bed. Location is good.

Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

I just attended a conference held at the Westin Alexandria and stayed there for two days with zero complaints. Check in and check out was a breeze with two desk staff on duty, even though it was not a busy time of day so there was no wait. My room was quite spacious, very clean and well-appointed. The bed and linens were excellent and I especially appreciated the triple-sheeting so that there was no contact with the duvet - just clean, crisp sheets. Good in-room air system - quiet and keep the at a comfortable temperature.

This attractive hotel is located in what looked like a "planned" and relatively new neighborhood with mixed use businesses and government buildings, condos, etc. I think it works well - with lots of green space, sidewalks, restaurants, two Starbucks (one just steps from the Westin), and a Whole Foods within walking distance. It looked like Old Town was close enough to walk to or take a short cab ride. There is a Metro stop nearby also.

My experience with staff was more positive than some of my fellow reviewers. I had a minor problem with the room and the manager handled it well and went the extra step to introduce me to the desk person who would be on duty all night in case I needed anything further. The valets were busy but efficient and pleasant. I had an all-around enjoyable experience with the staff of the Westin.

A good place for a business trip - I would stay here again, and would consider it for a pleasure trip to D.C.

Ohio, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

I attended a series of professional society leadership meetings that were held at the Westin. I also stayed at the Westin for the week of these meetings. Overall, I found the Westin Alexandria to be a very nice facility in all respects.

Getting there: I flew into Reagan National Airport. My options for getting to the Westin Alexandria were the metro or a taxi. The closest metro station to the Westin is about three blocks, so not a bad walk, plus the Westin does have a local shuttle that will pick folks up at this station (they do not offer shuttle service directly to/from the airport). I opted for the taxi. I did not note the actual drive time, but it was less than an hour from the time that the plane landed until I was in the room at the hotel, so overall pretty speedy. Cab fare with tip was $25.

Once at the Westin, the check-in process was very speedy. The young ladies at the front desk were polite and very helpful. The lobby is not huge, but it is very open with an interesting clock as a center piece. The elevators are not far from the front desk, so you do not have to drag luggage all over the place.

The room I was given was very nice. The only downside is that I had reserved a king bed, but instead got one with two doubles (sort of a waste of space since I was travelling alone, but that was a minor thing). I was housed on the preferred guest’s floor due to my Starwood membership, which brought a couple of little perks. The room had all the nice amenities: refrigerator, safe, iron and ironing board, hair dryer, plenty of toiletries. There was a desk with electrical outlets. The outlets were tightly spaced so I could only use one for the laptop and a charger (but there were other outlets elsewhere in the room). There is a charge for wireless internet service ($9.95 for a day, but the rate is discounted if you buy multiple days). Room temperature was comfortable and easily adjusted.

The bathroom was smallish, and sort of oddly arranged, but serviceable. Water pressure from the shower was fine and there seemed to be no issues with hot water.

About the Starwood perks, I was invited to a reception on Wednesday evening, but could not attend due to a business dinner. I was also given a welcome tray with fresh fruit, dried fruit and chocolate covered almonds (that actually made for a nice breakfast).

Fitness center is nice. There were four treadmills, an elliptical or two and some weight machines and free weights. There was also room to warm-up. I went early, about 0430. The first day several folks showed up about 0500, but after that I had the place to myself.

The Jamison Grill is the restaurant and bar located just off the lobby of the Westin. I ate in the restaurant twice. First was for breakfast on my first morning. There is a decent selection on the menu featuring several healthy choices. I had a simple meal and it was just average. The professional society with which I was meeting held a lunch meeting at the restaurant. It was a buffet but the food was very good. Service was great in the bar and restaurant.

As mentioned, the Westin Alexandria is just three blocks from metro and just a short walk to King Street. The free hotel shuttle is available for near-by locations (anywhere along King Street, for example).

Conference facilities were more than adequate. Wifi was available in the lobby and conference rooms. Food was great at the meals provided at the meetings. However, some of the rooms were a bit noisy as you can hear what is happening in the adjacent rooms if there is a loud group next door. There was also some audio feedback in the sound system in one of the rooms. But there seemed to be plenty of space for the meetings and the rooms in which I had meetings were large enough to handle the groups.

Overall, this was a very positive experience. I will stay at the Westin Alexandria when in the area for business in the future. In fact, I would also consider staying here if visiting Alexandria for a leisure trip due to its proximity to King Street.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

i stayed here for two nights this past weekend and was happy. the hotel was clean and comfortable. we didn't deal much with the staff so i can't comment on that but overall i was happy with the place.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Westin Alexandria? Share your experiences!