“Not thrilled with Westin service” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #17 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
San Francisco, California
“Not thrilled with Westin service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2011

I was attending a conference at the hotel and my partner was traveling with me as we were going to continue on to DC for a short break. On checking in the front desk repeated my preferences as a Starwood Preferred Guest program. I had asked for a King - he mentioned that I had asked for a King - gave us our keys - got to our room - lo and behold - two double beds. I'm not even talking two queen beds. This was like a 1 1/2 person size bed each. Nothing was romantic get away like separate beds.

On top of that, the view out the window was the third floor roof with two huge air conditioning/venting units just outside of the window.

Now I know lots of folks were coming to the conference - but I had arrived early and was staying an extra day past the end of the conference. Nowhere in this whole hotel was there a room with one king bed? I was told to check the following day - and still nothing. So I complained that if I were going to be there for a week, I'd at least like a better view - even if they couldn't get me a King bed. So I went from the below crappy a/c view to a spot on view of the Washington Masonic Temple. At least I got something.

But then, it's the little things that were weird. The door would only open if the handle were lifted, rather than naturally pushed. There was only one bathrobe in the room, and I had to tip the maid to get a second.

More Westin craziness that I've experienced in other hotels - a mini bar in the room that was empty. And really god forbid if we should ever get a second bottle of body lotion - they were just stingy with their amenities.

We followed this up with a stay in DC at a Kimpton Hotel that was smaller, but right in town, with full amenities for about the same price.

If you're considering staying in Alexandria, the Hilton and the Embassy Suites are much closer to the King Street station and the heart of Alexandria's old town.

I was expecting a "Macy's" experience from Westin and came away feeling more "JC Penny's".

Room Tip: Avoid the fourth floor for fear of getting the hideous view I started with.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011

I stayed at the Westin Alexandria for a quick visit to Washington D.C. and Alexandria. I was impressed with my room, which was clean and comfortable. I got a good night's sleep and that's important to me as a new traveler. The hotel is centrally located to King Station so we were able to take the subway to D.C. and visit the museums. The next time I visit D.C., I will stay at the Westin Alexandria. It's mostly a business traveler hotel, but it's also good hotel for the regular travel looking for a clean and comfortable room.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
brooklyn, ny
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

I stayed at the Weston as they were the host hotel for a race that I participated in. The hotel is clean and modern. The room was spacious . Even with the event taking place, the staff was attentive.

• Stayed May 2011
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

This hotel is in a good location from DCA airport. You can get there by the Metro train or taxi. I believe I took the metro and then had the hotel shuttle come get me. The location of is hotel is great for the person that is a business traveler who likes a great hotel and also a good night life on king street in old town. If you are platinum you'll get all the benefits of Internet and breakfast like most other SPG properties. Overall, a great stay if you are willing to pay a small fee to travel to this hotel. Worth it! Bg

• Stayed September 2011
Dunedin, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

Good location... The rooms are not overly large, but comfortable, The staff is very helpful and it is accessible to the beltway. It is more for the business traveller than the tourist, but either would find adequate. Starbucks is attached and the bar/restaurant is nice for entertaining. I will stay here again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

Hotel is in a great area, close to King Street Metro and walking distance to a Whole Foods and a variety of restaurants. Felt very safe walking at all hours. Inside, the hotel is bland when compared to other Westins I have visited. Bathroom was tiny, no in-room safe, several lamps had no bulb in them. Heavenly bed was very comfortable, but enough with the sales brochures all over the room -- I already have sheets and towels at home, thanks!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

I stayed at this hotel, and was lucky to book the concierge (club) floor for an affordable rate (government rate). I had invited my sister to join me so that she could be a tourist while I was at a meeting.

It was a truly incredible hotel -- the food and drinks in the lounge were wonderful. Breakfast was lovely, the afternoon snacks and special beverages (teas, juice, coffee, waters) were wonderful. Evening munchies were out of this world. - shrimp one night, asparagus wrapped with ham, cheese, vegetables - great hot snacks also. The room was very nice, the bed was incredible and everyone was so friendly. The view from the club lounge is beautiful and it is very relaxing.

The location is the best part. It is in a quiet neighborhood but a short and safe walk to the King's Street Metro Station. It made getting to the airport and to the Smithsonian super easy and convenient - and cheap.

I did walk down to King Street one evening -- that is a bit of a walk but on a nice day it is worth it to go to the restaurants and shops.

I have stayed there several times and highly recommend the Club Level!

Room Tip: Check the rate for the Club Floor -- it may be worth the price difference!
  • Stayed November 2010, traveled on business

Been to Westin Alexandria? Share your experiences!