“Clean Friendly Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 49 Hotels in Alexandria
oklahoma city
“Clean Friendly Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

The Westin is a very clean hotel. Front desk staff are friendly and helpful. The conciege floors are nice. One dissapointment the conciege room did not have snacks for lunch. The yound lady who worked the room was exceptional. Great service. The meeting rooms were ok but the wait staff inconsistant. Food was just ok. Still not a bad place for a meeting.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Alexandria, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

I've stayed here a few times on business partly because the hotel is very conveniently located to my needs and I've been consistently pleased. The Westin's in the U.S., especially the newer ones, have a clean, fresh look (and smell). I've eaten at the restaurant at this hotel many times when i worked/lived nearby and the service has always been pleasant and efficient. The only, only thing that caused me disappointment is that they don't have free wi-fi in the rooms, but the lobby does have an hour of wi-fi for free and you can go to the starbucks next door for unlimited free wi-fi. The hotel is also walkable to the metro station if that suits your needs and because i usually fly into national airport, i'll take the metro and hop on over to the hotel. In summary, I think you'd be happy to stay here, especially if you can score a govt/aaa discount or some other promotional rate.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Hackensack, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011

We stay in Old Town often to visit family in the area. We have stayed in the Hilton, Sheraton, Kimpton, etc. and this is a new favorite (depending on the rate offered of course). Brand new (at least it looks it) and immaculately clean, with a terrific, friendly, helpful staff and convenient location. Free on street parking was no problem on the weekend, and the "shuttle" bus worked as a taxi, i.e. we called from our restaurant after dinner and were picked up gratis by the hotel, a very nice perk. Heavenly bed and bath were indeed. Adequate indoor pool area and nice gym facility. Beautiful lobby and lively bar. Close to Metro and top of King Street. We will return.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the elevators -- hallways are LONG.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Rochester, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011

My family (husband and 2 young children, 6, and 9) stayed here as a stop over while heading home for a family vacation. The room was exceptional. My favorite part was the bathroom - and the beds were super comfy. We did not eat at the restaurant, but what was nice was the short walk to Old Alexandria where we grabbed a bit to eat. My brother and his family decided to take the train into D.C, and this hotel was just a 5 minute walk to the train station. It was a perfect location right off the highway and above our expectations.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Wilmington, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

After staying at the Westin Alexandria for 3 nights, we would recommend it to anyone looking to stay in the DC area. The hotel and room were clean and pleasent, and the staff was very friendly and attentive.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011

I stay at Westin's all the time and this one does not compare to any I have stayed at previously. They did not greet me as a Platinum member, they did not offer a room upgrade. They did not even offer me a room on the club floor. I had to ask for my key to be coded so I could access the lounge.

I was given a room on the 6th floor overlooking the interior roof of the lobby, very ugly. The HVAC air conditioning units have a motion detector on them. If they detect no movement for 30 minutes the AC unit shuts off. It was annonnying coming into the room after work and it being over 80 degrees because the air was off, even though I had it set to 70. It was downright horrible trying to sleep at night because the air would turn off 30 minutes after you fell asleep and you would wake up to a hot room, kick off the sheets which would turn the air back on and proceed to freeze. Rinse and repeat about six times for a bad night.

The area it is located in is not convenient to many things, 4 blocks from Metro, mile walk to Old town restaurants. There are way better places to stay Alexandria.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011

I stayed here 4 nights last week on business. The comfort and style meets you at the door. The lobby area is filled with sunlight and clean smells. My room was equally bright, fresh and comfortable. The bathroom shower was absolutely heaven with it's dual shower head. It was perfect for showering a deux or alone, talk about stimulating... I don't understand rain showers... but this shower, I can understand.

The staff were pleasant and accommodating. One night I was in search of a quick meal (room service was tasty but expensive) so I went into the bar/restaurant. The bartender made some great suggestions, all except the salad (I don't like garden weeds), they didn't have anything I liked, so she made some suggestions (which weren't on the menu) then went back and talked to the chef. Twenty minute later, I had the freshest, crunchiest wedge salad with a delicious champagne vinaigrette made just for me. Talk about tickled. Yum Yum. I went back the next afternoon for a late lunch, and talked to a different waitress. The same chef was on duty and he made me another. Talk about a happy camper. I felt very special. While I'm on the topic of food. I'm also not a breakfast eater, but the buffet breakfast they supplied for our group were absolutely "the best meal of the day". The Chicken apple sausage (for non pork eaters) was great as was the cinnamon/raisin french toast -- the best french toast since Mom's.

The neighborhood was clean and felt safe to walk around. It was convenient to food (both fast and fine dining-- try the Thai place, it was very good) and had a 7/11, grocery store, drug store in reasonable walking proximity. Even the nearby train that you couldn't help but hearing, was somehow soothing. If there wasn't enough food options in walking distance, the hotel provided a round trip shuttle to the Alexandria waterfront area (King Street) where there are lots of shops and restaurants... think VA Georgetown.

The only thing that angered me was that I didn't get the name of the bartender who helped plan my meal, the gentleman who provided assistance and service with the buffet, and one other waitress who was very helpful. I do want to say thanks to Robin of the front desk staff who came up to help me transport my luggage and brought me keys when I changed my room instead of my having to go back and forth to the lobby. Everyone went out of their way to be of service.

Anyway, if you have to go to VA for business or pleasure give the Westin a try. This one was almost as nice as my favorite Kimpton. Smile.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

Been to Westin Alexandria? Share your experiences!