“Mediocre by Best Western standards” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
1,000 bonus reward points
Ranked #31 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
Syracuse, New York
“Mediocre by Best Western standards”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2010

I was working in the Washington DC area and needed a hotel. I had stayed at this hotel previously, but I did not remember anything about it. This was before I started writing revews on TripAdvisor. I needed an inexpensive room and although this one was $139 per night, it was one of the least expensive rooms I found in the area. The price had jumped significantly from my previous stay. Unfortunately, the quality of the hotel did not.

When I arrived, I immediately recognized it. It has a small entrance on Richmond Highway, which is easy to pass if you're not careful. The hotel is not walking distance to very much, so you will definitely need a car if you stay there. It is nowhere near the Metro, and the traffic to get to one of the stations is unbelievable.

The lobby was unmemorable. The hotel staff were competent, although every single one seemed disinterested in their jobs. Most nights, the evening clerk was sitting at the single computer in the business center surfing the web instead of standing behind the counter.

The room was average at best. I am a Best Western Rewards Diamond Member, so I've seen BW hotels all across the country. I'd put this one somewhere below the 50% mark as far as their hotels go. I'd probably rank it in the bottom 40-45%. It was clean, but that's about as far as I would go in complimenting it.

For $139 per night (plus tax), you should get a better hotel than this one.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Ulm
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2010

We often slept at Best Western hotels so far, and this one was absolutely Best Western Standard. Room were comfortable, clean and spacious, staff very friendly and helpful and breakfast good (with waffle irons).
The hotel is situated about 10 mi from Washington DC centre and not far away from an outback restaurant and several shops.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Wellington, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2010

We recently stayed at the this property. We absolutely were thrilled. Our room was great.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2010

Staff was very helpful and friendly. Rooms extra clean and comfortable bedding. Breakfast was ok. Very convenient to Mt. Vernon...within 10min. Wireless internet worked great.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Carlisle, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2010

I'm a military Officer transferring out of the Military District of Washington. I moved out of my residence and had a week of outprocessing actions to execute. I chose the Best Western - glad I did. For the price of rooms, this hotel is by far the best deal in the area. Clean rooms, friendly attentive staff, adequate continental (plus) breakfast, and great location, I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here and will definitely do so again if in the area. I appreciate the hospitality shown, and will recommend this location to friends visiting the area. LTC Charles E. Branson

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Golden, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2010

Had reservations but arrived late in the evening; had called earlier and requested to keep reservation even though I might look like a "no-show". They assured me this was not a problem and indeed it was not.

Got good directions on phone from front desk (I had inadvertently lost my Google map) and on arrival clerk remembered the conversation and the request for late arrival even though the hotel was nearly full. His greeting was professional and friendly and check-in was smooth. He also told me what would be on the complimentary breakfast next morning.

Room was spotless and quiet. Everything was where it should be. Next morning I was unable to open the door from inside the room! The lock was misbehaving. I called down to Front Desk and they had someone there to let me out within five minutes. They apologized profusely and promised to get it fixed right away as I was staying for several days. I turned down the offer for a different room on the condition I was not locked in again. They fixed the lock during my daytime absence.

During the stay the staff was very helpful with local directions and other minor matters like getting my laundry done. The same front desk staffer who remembered my locked-in problem three days later asked me if I had any other complaints and asked if I wanted a "comp". Since I have never had this problem before and since the problem was fixed promptly I declined. But it was nice to be asked.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Clinton, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2010

Enjoyed our stay, the staff were friendly and very helpful! Breakfast everyday, hot items were a bonus for us! We used the REX buses to get to King Street Metro and then into DC...plan to leave a little early to go to DC because sometimes it is crowded. Saved some money by staying here instead of closer to DC! Would stay again!

Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Been to BEST WESTERN Mount Vernon/Ft. Belvoir? Share your experiences!