“Good Average Hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #32 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
midwest
“Good Average Hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2009

Beds and rooms clean. Continental breakfast good, but not extraordinary. Good, friendly staff. Military town feeling. Need to drive to metro. Convenient to Mount Vernon. Lots of food choices just north. Solid budget hotel.

Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

125 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
West Des Moines, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2009

Best Westerns vary in quality and charm. This one is very pleasant. We stayed overnight to visit Mt. Vernon. It is a large hotel with an excellent free breakfast buffet. Clean rooms, and efficient staff. Most of the visitors seemed to be there on business with the nearby army post.

Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2009

I think this was a really great hotel. Some people have a bad impression about it , because it was previously under poor management , by my understanding. However , it has been taken over by new owners in 2007 , and they invested a LOT in renovating it. Once you enter the hotel you can tell. Furniture is new, everything is very clean.The front desk staff and the managers will take every extra step necesary to make you feel good , and they are all very friendly. The rooms are nice ,you can see the furniture is new, the microwave and refrigerator also seemed new. I just loved the bed , big and comfortable, and there were plenty of channels to choose from on tv. Everything was clean. The breakfast offered eggs, sausages , waffles , plus the regular cold meal.
We were given lots of usefull information about the area. I found the attention coming from the staff and managers really nice. That's great customer service!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2009

Check in and check out of the hotel was very easy, and the staff were very pleasant. My room was just a short walk from the lobby, so that was convenient. The room was nicely decorated and clean, and the bed was comfortable. You can tell that this hotel recently underwent renovation, since the hallway doors were older, but the rooms looked really nice and new. Every thing about my room was great. The mini fridge and microwave also looked brand new.
I did have 2 bad experiences at this hotel, the coffee and the breakfast, but after taking the hotel survey, the management contacted me immediately to say "sorry", and that they would do everything they can to improve.
My bad experiences: I got a cup of coffee from the lobby that evening, as I was going to be up late studying. The coffe had a very odd odor, and I could not drink it. I made coffee from the machine in the room, and all was well. The next morning, I got up for the free hot breakfast, and it was not so good. There were many things wrong with the breakfast buffet, and not many choices. They did have a waffle machine, but I did not try that out.
I need to stay here again in 2 weeks, so I will update this review to let everyone know if the management did indeed make the changes that they said they would.
All in all, aside from the breakfast, this hotel was really good, and I'm going back, so that should say something.
Oh, plus the free in-room wi-fi worked really well.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
Oxnard Ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2009

I have travel and been in a lot of hotels but this one was very friendly and hospitable!
Upon checking in Front Desk was Great!. The rooms are clean and fresh smell. Sheets are soft and very clean, pillows love them!!. the lighting was good not strong (green light bulbs).
there breakfeast was great! I built a egg mcmuffin with sausage and egg and did not havae to spend any extra on it ( I ate 3!) orange juice and coffee great! kitchen girls was also great.
I needed directions they help me out on that and made some wonderful suggestions.
overall I highly recommend , its very quiet too!!. And very close to Fort Belvoir!!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2008

The front desk was very mean and we came in with a group of about 60. Right when we came in they threatened to kick us out because "we were too loud" The front desk was rude to us and their was a another group and they had some kids in the lobby making more noise than us and the front desk didn't say anything to them. My room was horrible and they refused to fix it. The toilet didn't flush, the AC made an annoying sound and the TV didn't have buttons and the remote didn't work. We called them several times and they said that they won't fix it because we kept breaking them all. They were nasty and unconsiderate. They also sent a worker to take pictures of us during breakfeast yet we never were asked if it was okay and they refused to give us the pictures and they were so mean. Don't go there if you have any other choice. The streets are better than that place.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed July 2008
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2008

We arrived at the Best Western Mount Vernon on June 24th for a four night stay. There is no access to the hotel from Southbound Hwy 1 making the hotel difficult to get to. This is a 100% smoke free hotel which is one of the reasons why we booked it, however we had to walk through the haze of smokers loitering around the entrance of the hotel and the dozens of cigarette butts they left behind to get into the hotel, this was every time we went to or from the hotel. Not a good impression!

The hotel does not have a dry sauna in the gym as advertised. There are no laundry facilities at the hotel, the hotel will send your clothes to the cleaners across the street for a fee to the hotel and a per item charge. There is a laundry facility several blocks from the hotel however we did not feel safe doing laundry there.

The keys to our room had to be reset everyday during our stay, we never did find out why but we had to go to the desk everyday when the key would not work in the door. I also asked at the front desk for extra blankets and the staff member just rolled her eyes at me and said “in this heat!” She did not want to hear anything from me as a guest and I was surprised when the blankets did show up. The mattresses are very hard and I have Fibromyalgia and wanted to place the blankets under the sheets for extra padding.

The breakfast is your basic dry cereal, oatmeal, toast, waffles and donuts/muffins. Coffee, apple juice, or what we think was Tang for orange juice. Breakfast is served in the basement of the hotel. There are several fast food restaurants also in the area – McDonalds, Wendy’s, Taco Bell etc.

This hotel does cater to school groups so if you are there when a school group is booked be prepared. Unfortunately during our last night a group arrived and ran the up and down the stairs, halls, elevators, and in the gym, slamming doors from 2:00 in the afternoon until well after 1:00am. When I called the front desk the attitude was that it is a school group and that I should really just be more understanding and let them be. The hotel staff would ask the group to be quite only because it was after midnight.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to BEST WESTERN Mount Vernon/Ft. Belvoir? Share your experiences!