“Re: Very Nice Stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #29 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
Alexandria, United States
“Re: Very Nice Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights while visiting Mt. Vernon. First of all, it is very conveniently located to Mt. Vernon. Thi staff was very friendly & helpful & the room was very nice. We also ate the free breakfast & it was good.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

103 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Summerfield, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

On a recent family vacation, in an idea to save a few dollars, I decided to try the Best Western so we could visit Mount Vernon. Let me explain that I usually only stay in Hilton Hotels.

I made the reservation on line based on the reviews of the property. I guess they experienced something other than I did.

First let me say that from no fault of Best Western traffic on I-95 was awful and istead of arriving at noon as expected to the area, we never got there till 3:30 pm. Now it was really too late to visit Mount Vernon as planned that day.

Upon entering the hotel, it was a dark reception area, you could see back to work area that was cluttered with work material and NO ONE WAS PRESENT. We stood there for almost 10 minutes before an employee showed up. We checked in and went up to the room (without our luggage). The room was a handicap room (which I immediatley said why would they give me this room, what if someone who is handicaped needed it). Then entering the bathroom, it appeared like it hadn't been cleaned, the tiolet wouldn't flush etc.

We went back down and I informeed the same employee about the tiolet, her response was what do you mean, the tiolets all work. Trying very hard not to appear frustrated I just stated well this tiolet isn't working. She did call someone to check it out, while saying right in front of me, well the lady says it doesn't work. Ok how professional was that?

We asked where we could find some restaurants in the area, which was provided to us. While sitting outside the hotel I became so upset over the condition of the room, employees etc my daughter went back inside and explained that we didn't want to stay and please refund our credit card.

According to the employee she was only able to credit our account half of the money, still charging $45.00 to my card because we said we didn't want to stay after what she called "the late check out time."

When you are traveling I guess I could have gone back in insisted to see the manager and question why this charge. However, I am writing to the corporation office of Best Western and asking the policy on this.

As we actually had planned on staying in the area, I was just I can't beleive this, what made me go from staying in a hotel chain that I know and like, to trying something else.

We did not stay in the area at all, but continued on our travel to New Jersey that night.

Room Tip: I think in the future if you haven't stayed at a particular hotel check out the room prior to pa...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Moncks Corner, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

My family when to see the sites in DC. I found this place a inexpensive alternative to staying closer in town. If I had it to do a again I think I would have paid more for stay closer in. If you going to see Mt Vernon specifically then this might be okay. This is several miles to the metro and then it's the end of the line for the metro so you look at a ~25 min ride into DC from there.

They do offer a decent room for a great price. The Hotel itself is clean the staff was friendly enough. While this isn't in the worst area of town, it isn't anywhere great either. I did not feel to exactly comfortable out an about looking for a place to eat. The free breakfast was the usual fare, not great but good enough to get by.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Best Western - Mount Vernon is one of the best hotels in this area. They provide excellent rooms for a decent price. They are located about 10 minutes away from Fort Belvoir. The hotel clerk I constantly work with (Salmon) is an extremely friendly and professional person to deal with, he provides the customer service I look desire. This hotel is a 5 star military supporter and I recommend every drill to be booked here. For those trying to find a nice clean friendly hotel, look no farther. A++++++ for Best Western.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Smyrna, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

My family and I spent three nights while seeing the sites in and around D.C. and Mount Vernon.
Pros and Cons

Pros:
Friendly, sincere, helpful staff
Average to good free breakfast
Shuttle service when available (see cons as well)
Subway, McDonalds, Papa Johns, convenience store and local restaurants within walking distance
Clean and fairly quiet
Clean remotes are a great touch

Cons:
No taxi service this far out
Shuttle service wasn't available on the weekend because of no driver available
No shuttle service to Mount Vernon even though its a six minute drive
Safe in room should never cost extra - they are for the guest as well as protection of the housekeepers
Needs a new coat of vibrant paint

We stayed in two rooms 135 (two doubles) and 136 (king).
136 had air condition problems, but, when told the staff got right on it and fixed it with hours.

I would recommend an expanded shuttle service that includes pick-up from the Huntington Metro station in the morning as well. Shuttle service to Mount Vernon because of its so very close to the hotel. One more I would look into is an Old Alexandria shuttle. This one could simply be a reservation required or by request only. Maybe even charging a small fee for this particular service. These three amenities I believe would help picking up a few new customers.

Enjoyed our stay! Thanks

Room Tip: Ask about the shuttle and if they have other transportation options for guest. Taxis do not come thi...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
bwmtv, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Mount Vernon/Ft. Belvoir, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Thank you for your feedback, I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay.
We will certainly consider your thoughts on expanding shuttle service.
Taxi's do come to the hotel though,our staff would have been delighted to have assisted
in contacting the local cab service.
Wilmington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Checked into hotel.
Asked hotel clerk if there was a good place to eat nearby.
I was out of room for LESS THAN TWO HOURS, only to return
to find someone had entered my room and stolen $130.

Nice!

Hotel clerk was no assistance.
Contacted local police and filed a report.

Hotel had monitors and security cameras set up for all over, yet hotel clerk refused to review the security tapes.

Not a good feeling here.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Jan,
I'd like to assure you we take customer complaints very seriously at our hotel.
The Front Desk agent on duty did not have access to review the security cameras, however I have, we also interogated the lock to your room for entry. No one entered your room after you checked in except you. This documentation has also been reviewed by the police dept.
We take the safety and security of our guests very seriously. If you are missing money, I'm truely sorry but it was not due to the staff or lack of security in the hotel.
We strive to provide the best in customer service with clean comfortable accommodations.

Been to BEST WESTERN Mount Vernon/Ft. Belvoir? Share your experiences!