“Good for a Budget” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #31 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
Tampa, Florida
“Good for a Budget”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

I have no real complaints about this place. I'm currently staying here with my fiancee', who's stationed at Fort Belvoir, and wanted a place close to base for us to stay during my week-long visit. It's a Best Western, so I had no expectations of frills, and those expectations were met.
The first night, the air conditioner made a high pitche "chirping" sound the entire night. I had to turn it off just to make sure there weren't 1,000 baby birds fighting right outside our window. When we woke up, it was sweltering and the unit had shut itself off. It'd come on for a moment, and then shut off moments later. I called the front desk, however, and within five minutes maintenence came and upon inspecting the unit, decided it needed replacing. They replaced the a/c in all of 15 minutes, and now we have one that works very well.
The cable is adequate, though I'd say the tv's are outdated. The fridge is spacious--one of the taller mini fridges. The microwave has a turn table in it.
The first full day we were here, we decided to take the shuttle to the metro, and were told once arriving at the metro that there was no afternoon shuttle that day. That would have been nice to know before being dropped off at the metro station. We took the bus home after site seeing a bit in D.C. however and were fine.
The outlets in the room need replacing. They won't "hold" a plug in them--anything I try to plug in just seems to fall out of them, all save one or two in the entire room.
Housekeeping does an excellent job every day. The towels get replaced and the bed is made flawlessly. The bed is more comfortable than I expected for a Best Western.
This place could use a laundry facility--the nearest laundromat, according to the front desk is about 2 miles away. They have a same-day 'valet' laundry service, but it charges a ton--about $4.00 per item. I'm here without a car and am *not* taking the bus again. One of the previous reviewers was correct when they said you need a car if you stay here; the only food within walking distance is a McDonalds down the street. The bus system here is very confusing if you've not from the area, and most of the bus driver's have never heard of the Best Western Mt Vernon, so asking if they drive near it will lead you nowhere.

There is free wifi, however the signal comes and goes, and there is very little bandwidth.

Overall, this place is about what you'd expect from a Best Western, and provides a comfortable night's sleep, but much better if you have a vehicle.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
YourDCManager, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Mount Vernon/Ft. Belvoir, responded to this review, August 4, 2011
Dear timberowl, Your business is very important to us and we value your feedback. By telling us what you liked about your stay and how we can improve, you are helping us deliver a superior experience for you and other guests in the future. We hope you will come back and see us again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Louisville, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2011

After doing some pretty extensive searching for a good hotel at a cheap price, I came across the Best Western in Mount Vernon.

Pros:
- Location is convenient to food and other businesses
- Less than 10 minute drive to the nearest Metro (Huntington - takes about 15-20 minutes to get downtown from this station)
- Staff was very helpful and kind
- Room was very clean and nice. Everything worked properly
- Breakfast is very good, and it does include hot items
- Bed was very comfortable
- Convenient to Old Town Alexandria (which is an awesome place)

Cons:
- We were in room 128, and it was close to some large A/C units outdoor. It didn't bother us, but I know some people may be bothered by the noise. So, if you can, try to avoid rooms 128, 126, or 124 if you're a light sleeper
- It is located on a busy highway, so turning left into the hotel can be difficult at times since there is no turning lane
- They were repaving the parking lot surface, and we ended up getting blocked in by the crew, so when I tried to back out they got upset with me for driving on the sealant. Some prior notice would have been nice, but it's not a huge deal and I'm sure the construction crew probably didn't communicate with the hotel staff

Overall my wife and I had a pleasant experience, and highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
YourDCManager, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Mount Vernon/Ft. Belvoir, responded to this review, July 19, 2011
Dear jborofsky, Your business is very important to us and we value your feedback. By telling us what you liked about your stay and how we can improve, you are helping us deliver a superior experience for you and other guests in the future. We hope you will come back and see us again soon.
Pontypridd
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

To begin with: Breakfast. Apparently the Americans call it sausage patty, to me, it's shaped like a burger, it's pork, so it's a pork burger. No wonder the country has an obesity problem! Not much in the way of healthy food either, everything was just full of fat and grease and not enjoyable.

Location: We got lost several times on the way to the hotel from Washington DC, road signs unclear but not hotels fault

Air conditioning - Very noisy.

Staff - RUDE. I was waiting for the receptionist (well, he looked like a janitor but was apaprently dealing with customers at the front desk too) to finish with a customer and was standing there for about five minutes. Then an American serviceman dressed in his uniform came to the reception AFTER me to check out. The guy at the front desk ignored the fact that I'd been standing there, waiting to check out, after he has dealt with this lady, and went to the serviceman first. But, stereotypically, the serviceman was very polite and let me go first. I got told "sign this", so I read through the receipt and signed it, and as I was doing that he began serving the serviceman. In my experience of customer service, you deal with ONE customer at a time. I was waiting for some kind of prompt to see if I had anything else to sign, but after waiting for the guy to finish serving the other gentleman I just walked out, completely dissatified with the end of that stay. Very rude of the staff, and if he is a receptionist he should wear a proper uniform.

Actually thought I'd have more nice things to say about this hotel, but I don't - except that there is a mcdonalds next door with very friendly staff - the staff at the BW could learn a thing or two from these guys.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Pinetop, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011

not much nearby - good place for one night - breakfast was better than average

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Dear podoho, Thank You for taking the time to comment on our hotel. We appreciate your business and look forward to accommodating you again.
NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011

Our room was large and clean. Beds were comfortable. We had a rerigerator and microwave in our room. The management, staff and maintenance were all very helpful. Housekeeping kept our room clean everyday. We were there for 5 nights. Breakfast was adequate with fruit, waffles, oatmeal, yogurt, toast, danishes, bagels, english muffins, juice, muffins, eggs, alternately bacon, sausage, biscuits and sausage gravy cereal and coffee. Make sure you call ahead for best shuttle service. We used the Metro to travel to Washington, DC.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Dear Beltalk, Thank You for taking the time to comment on our hotel. Your feedback is very important to us and we are glad to hear you had an enjoyable stay. We look forward to accommodating you again.
Excelsior, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2011

The accommodations in the room are nice enough. But the A/C unit in our room makes a variable pitch whine that kept me and my wife up at night. Really annoying. Talked to front desk and maintenance; they said all the units do that and they are working with GE to get the problem resolved. No offer of reconciliation. Eeeeeeeeaaaaaaaoooooooooommmmmmmmooooooooaaaaaaeeeeeee.....

And the TV picture is really fuzzy.

Ugh!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
YourDCManager, Public Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Mount Vernon/Ft. Belvoir, responded to this review, July 19, 2011
Dear jlj-minnesotam, On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we offer a better experience for guests in the future.
herculaneum
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2011

staff advised of good restaurant and travel from hotel to Washington DC

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear gastman, Thank You for taking the time to comment on our hotel. Your feedback is very important to us and we are glad to hear you had an enjoyable stay. We look forward to accommodating you again.

Been to BEST WESTERN Mount Vernon/Ft. Belvoir? Share your experiences!