“Happy Hour Sangria & Tapas” 4 of 5 stars
Review of La Tasca

La Tasca
607 King St, Alexandria, VA 22314 (Old Town)
(703) 299-9810
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
La Tasca is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #36 of 673 Restaurants in Alexandria
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Dessert, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Old Town
Transit: King Street Metro (Yellow & Blue Lines) Also, take advantage of the King Street Trolley, a free trolley from the King Street metro stop all the way to the harbor. We are located between Washington Street and St Asaph Street.
Description: La Tasca is a careful blend of everything about Spain—warm décor, authentic cuisine and friendly hospitality.With a combination of many tapas dishes, paellas, sangria blends and Spanish wines and beers, La Tasca has something for everyone.We strive to keep the Spanish culture and passion alive in our restaurants
Huntsville, Alabama
“Happy Hour Sangria & Tapas”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

The sangria selection is great and tastes great as well. The croquette appetizer is not at all what I expected having eaten croquettes before. Out of four croquettes, not a single one had jamon as stated in the description and one had a piece of chicken; mostly it was the filler. It's pretty busy during happy hour and I think they could use another person at the bar instead of just the one that they had, although she was in constant motion trying to keep up. But for $4 appetizers and $4 sangrias during happy hour it's not a bad place. The cheese stuffed, bacon wrapped dates were delish!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Alexandria, Virginia
“Great Tapas Variety and Atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

I had made reservations at La Tasca because this was a birthday celebration for my husband, and we were going to Old Town Theater for the 10 p.m. comedy show, and I didn't want to risk having to wait. This would not have been a problem as there were plenty of seats -- we live in Alexandria and are never sure when the tourists will fill up a place!

We had good seats in the main dining room, and our server was very pleasant. I thought the pitcher of sangrias was tasty by overpriced -- next time we will order a half pitcher and ask for the extra shot as these were mild alcohol-wise.

But the sangria was a good compliment to the wide variety of tapas. We did not have the paella this go round but tried a variety of meat, vegetable, cold, and hot tapas. I liked the beef empanadas and the Patatas Bravas best.

The waitress offered to take our picture when she saw that I had a camera. She brought us some tasty bread with olive oil when our second round of plates was a little slow in getting there.

All in all, a very pleasant experience! We enjoyed the last of our pitcher of sangria listening to the band that started playing around 9 p.m.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Great Ambience, But...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

The sangria and the ambiance were really wonderful, but the food left me disappointed. The menu is well written and the appetizers sounded and looked fantastic but when I tasted them, I felt that everything was under-seasoned. The service was average, not bad but not stellar. I would give it another try if I go back to the area only because the ambiance and the sangrias were pretty cool.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Alexandria, Virginia
“Terrible disappointment”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

My husband and I went by this restaurant a few times and wanted to try their food. Last Friday, he made a reservation to celebrate my birthday and we were very excited about this place. To make this review short, I got very sick that night and the following day. Food poisoning. The staff are very unfriendly. The table was disgusting, the menu, my drink, my plate, my arms were sticking to the table. I am not a chef, but I can make better paella then the one I had there. The only thing that was good in this restaurant, was my husband company and the great band. If you just want to have a drink and enjoy the entertainment it is okay, but to eat there it is a big NO-NO. Too price for the lack of quality.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Seattle, Washington
“Tapas and Happy Hour... good combo!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

We stopped here for happy hour, which ended up being a great decision. The Tapas were great and came out to the table relatively fast. The half-price specials for happy hour made it even better. The only downside is that most of the tapas served at Happy Hour were fried. Service was good despite the fact that the place was packed. It was rather loud in the restaurant, but the food was good so we were able to overlook the noise. They recently changed their dessert menu, so the Tres Leches cake is no longer served there. That was a major disappointment!

• Visited May 2013