“My kids had a great time.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 39 Attractions in Alexandria
Type: Water Parks
Attraction Details
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“My kids had a great time.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

I got a groupon deal 16$ for 4 after 4pm. On arriving from the Main Street we didn't see a sign "great waves waterpark" so we passed it. The sign just has Cameron run park on it. Unless we missed seeing the waves park sign. Had no issues with parking. Parking is free. Didn't have any issues using my coupon. Just showed the front office my phone, in we went. The kid pools are past the wave pool. The wave pool was much warmer than the kid pools. Kids do not care. The splash area had a lot of peeling paint, that's normal cuz the water. 1 of the kids slide was not in operating. The curve one was. A lot of kids without parental supervision so there was a lot of ditching lines. It's hard to tell your kids to wait your turn when the majority are not. We didn't eat there or try the big slides. My kids are only 2 1/2 and 4 1/2. Overall I would go again because my kids loved it. Would I pay full admission? I doubt it.

Visited August 2013

Maryland
37 attraction reviews
“Excellent Water Fun, but Crowded”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

If you go, go early. We did and we had a blast. Bring your own food and leave it in the car. The line for the ONE food building is horrendous. The intertubes were free of charge, but finding one not in use became more and more difficult as the day wore on. The slides had long lines that moved slowly. The preschool and up children's pool area was gorgeous. Price was $15.50 each, which was well worth it. Park was clean. They need a larger shower and changing area.

10 attraction reviews
“Great place for the kids!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

The Great Waves water park is great for young ones and older crowd. Although younger kids 4-9 yrs old looked like they were having a great time than anyone else. The snack shack can be improved big time. The menu is not that great, they have a burger called "bug kahuna" there is nothing big about it! Service is too slow and line gets too long! Outside food or drink is not allowed. So to avoid long waiting make sure you go to the snack shop before 12:30 pm. Alot of things to do for a county park! But we always stay at the wster park!

Herndon, Virginia
5 attraction reviews
“Not bad for a local swimming hole!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Yesterday, I went with my fiance to Great Waves. It was pretty busy around noon, but we were able to grab what looked like the last deck chairs. It seemed to be mostly families with little kids there, but there were other couples there as well. The park was kept very clean, which was impressive. They had some cute shops and stands, including Dippin Dots. The slides were clean, and were staffed well. The lines weren't terrible either. The lifeguards were very stringent about who they allowed where, based on swimming levels. There were probably ten lifeguards around the deck of the wave pool, and two or three in the pool itself at all times. At one point, we heard a whistle that turned into multiple whistles, and by the time we looked up, probably 20 lifeguards were on deck watching a couple of lifeguards in the pool swim to a struggling swimmer. They just came out of the woodwork immediately.

The only issue I have is that you can't bring food or drinks into the park. I get that they need to make money, but that's a quick way to having some swimmers get heat stroke or dehydrated on deck.

Bainbridge Island, Washington
7 attraction reviews
“A pretty decent family water park.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

This is a northern VA run park- not a huge private amusement park. The water park section has a wave pool, a toddler wading area, a small water area with two slides for kids in the 4-5 range, and then 4 larger slides for kids over 4 feet. There is also a sand play area and a playground area. There are a lot of life guards so that made me feel good. But, it gets pretty crowded. There was an incident with a young woman getting banged into the wall in the wave pool- the life guards were amazing and helped the woman. I was amazed how many parents allowed young kids into the pool without any supervision.

No food or drink is allowed to be brought into the water park. There are lockers. 75 cents for ones near the entrance that you have to pay for each time you go in and out of it. The ones closer to the wave pool cost $3 with a $2 deposit an that allows for in and out privileges. There is a place to buy lunch/dinner and there is an ice cream
shack. There is a store where you can buy towels, swim suits, goggles, flip flops, etc.

We had an all area pass, but were too tired to go to the batting cages or do mini golf. Looked like fun.

We would go back- it was very convenient to where we stay.

Visited June 2013