“Ok for Children” 3 of 5 stars

Joppa, MD
9 attraction reviews
“Ok for Children”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2011

The reason I gave this park 3 stars is becuase my daughter did enjoy herself and as others say, this is run by Northern VA, not a private business. We went this past Saturday, one of the hottest days of the summer. The place was extremely crowded and pools were very very dirty there was stuff floating everywhere and I even stepped on something, not sure what it was. I'm guessing because of the heat and the amount of people the water in all pools was luke warm. I'm not sure if this is how it is all of the time, but the type of people there...I don't want to offend anyone but just to describe, there was trash everywhere (a dirty diaper left on the side of the wave pool!), rude pushy people who butt in front of you, disorderly children who's parents just laughed (one group of kids were literally fighting in the pool hitting each other, I had to move my daugher several times to get out of their way in fear of being hit by one). The food is a bit overpriced, but its too be expected and its not even near the prices of six flags or other parks. But beware, as I said, rude adults are ready to jump in front of you in line so you have to be ready! The place is so *** when we were leaving two grown women almost literally fought each other in the parking lot like it was a night club, except there were multiple children around! They were cursing and screaming at each other wanting either one to throw the first punch, yes while holding the hands of very young children. There are really nice water slides but my daughter and I only rode 3 times, the lines were not that long but moved extremely slow and it was just too hot to stand in line, especially as I said, groups of young kids would come and just butt in front of us.

I guess basically if you are a local, and wanting to get out of the heat, it may be a nice place to spend a few hours and take a dip in the pool. but we traveled an hour an a half away and intended to stay all day. I was ready to leave within a few hours. Kids don't care about cleanliness and pushy people so they will have a blast but adults beware.

Visited July 2011

Washington DC
“Worst Place - Don't take your kids”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2011

Save your money and go to other parks. Six flags may cost more, but you get much more plus some customer service at six flags, and it is about the same drive from DC, The worst customer service, the worst food, worst bathrooms, and the list goes on...

Visited June 2011
Washington DC, District of Columbia
10 attraction reviews
“Take a Cool Tourist Break”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2011

Okay, I know this is not a big expansive for-profit water park; and the other reviewers should know it, too! This place is a bargain. Cameron Run is a fantastic break for families who have come to enjoy DC in the summer months. Give yourselves a break from the tourist track, squeeze into your swimsuits, relax and have fun. Here is my advice for the family: go early on a weekday, grab 2 reclining chairs, and pay for 2 inner tubes. Eat before you come, have a snack early in the day and leave when you get really hungry. Do you really want to eat snack bar food, anyway, when the wondrous restaurants of Old Towne Alexandria are so close? Believe me, the kids will thank you for it. Wave pool, 5 slides, and toddler wading area with small waterfall. It's not fancy--it's just plain fun. When I lived on the west coast, this was always the way we spent at least one day of our week in DC. Now that we live in the area, I feel cheated if I don't go at least once a year.

Visited August 2010
Washington DC
“Great Waves Waterpark”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2010

Let me start out by saying this, Great Waves is a Northern Virginia Regional Park; it is not a for profit privately owned company. The water park was renovated in 2008 and had had more modfactions in 2009. The park now has more water slides, and a new "splashplay area" for toddler aged kids. I have been going here from when I was a summer camp kid back in the early 1990's. Vary little has changed out side of the water slides and a few of the kiddie pool features. The wave pool is always packed on weekends, and on super hot days, the snack bar is always packed, and you have always had to pay for a flotation device.
Having said that there are tricks for the pool, eat breakfast before you go, and pack a snack/lunch in a cooler and leave it in your car for after you swim. I have taken a empty water bottle and filled it at the pool and no one bothered me with it. Over all this was the first "Fun" pool in the NVRPS now all the regional parks that I know of have fun pools that you can swim in, so if crowds are not you thing and you don't mind a ride go to a different regional park, they all have themed pools, they don't have a wave pool but, any elementary school aged kid would find them fun. Fairfax county Parks Also have some fun pools close by, so go and explore this summer!

alexandria
“waterdud”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2008

When it is hot, you want to be in a cool wet place, so how can a water park get such a low rating? First of all, for a community attraction it is conveniently located, then there is the admission; ah, let's move on. When you arrive you notice the #1 rule: NO OUTSIDE FOOD OR DRINK ALLOWED.; More on this in a minute.

The water park consists of an 8ft. wave pool, infant pool, small water slide in a 3ft pool, 2 water slides.

Our main complaint of this facility is it is way over crowded, especially in the wave pool. I spoke to the management and inquired about maximum pool capacity for the wave pool, and their response was the facility maximum will never be realized for the pool.

Here's where this is place fails. The majority of the people using the pool stay inthe 1ft-5ft range and the rest of the pool to 8ft is mainly used by the few floaters who have to RENT tubes....this creates a dangerously crowded area from 1ft to 5ft...I mean a crush of bathers dodging the waves.

Even if there are 12 life guards, it is still a tentatively safe bathing area.

The restriction of OUTSIDE food and drink in this park would be acceptable were it not for the grossly inadequate snack bar facility they have....which was MOB SCENE for most of the day with the room filled to the doors with people waiting to be served.....

The large beach area is mostly devoid of chairs.

The attaction visible from the beltway is the multiple waterslide, with one huge caveat: you have to be 50 inches to slide.

Okay, bottom line. This place is usually very very crowded. For the admission price, there should be more for your money. There should be at least adequate seating and shade. For themoney there should be floatation for FREE instead of to rent. There should be multiple food vendors for the crush of people. And lastly, the wave park is in serious need of a major expansion for the wave pool.

Don't take this scathing review at face value, go there and see for yourself.

This facility would benefit from a visit to Kings Dominion as a model for this type of water park.