“Fascinating (Pope-Leighey House)” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 38 attractions in Alexandria
Type: Historic Sites
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Historic home of Martha Washington's granddaughter given as a wedding present by President George Washington.
Baltimore, Maryland
24 attraction reviews
“Fascinating (Pope-Leighey House)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

I was a little skeptical about my visit to the house since it looks rather unassuming from the outside, but I don't think I've ever been on a more interesting 30 minute tour in such a small place. Our tour guide was fantastic and really knew her stuff inside and out. We barely got there for the last tour of the day and our guide was nice enough to stay around for a few minutes at the end to answer more questions when I'm sure she was probably ready to go home. The house was just a fascinating little view into how people strived to live during the mid 20th century. Even though I'm a fairly quick sightseer, if you're planning to do both Mount Vernon and this house in one day, I would suggest arriving around opening time of one of the two. Definitely worth the visit.

Visited September 2012

Centreville, Virginia
9 attraction reviews
“Peaceful and Historical”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

I've been coming to this location for as long as I've lived in the area (10-15 years?) I like to come throughout the week when it's less crowded and you can walk the grounds. I've always enjoyed the gardens at the plantation and there is something so very comforting to me whenever I tour the Pope-Leighey House. Highly recommended.

Visited March 2012
Pawtucket, Rhode Island
215 attraction reviews
“Pope-Leighey House worth the trip, but you can skip Woodlawn.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

If you are a fan of Frank Lloyd Wright then visit this unique house. The tour had a passionate architect guide to show us around. We also have to mention his great sidekick Diego Rivera the puppy. You cannot take pictures inside the house, but you are able to walk the grounds and take as many as you like outside.

Visited June 2012
Woodbridge, Virginia
“Unique Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

My mom is a big fan of architecture by Frank Lloyd Wright. I live just 20 minutes from Woodlawn and the Pope-Leighy House and never realized it was there. It sits back off of the main road (Route 1/Richmond Highway). Due to a staff shortage they were not doing tours that day, but my mom and I were able to venture around the grounds. They were doing construction on the Plantation house so we explored the area around the Pope-Leighy House. Truly an amazing piece of work. We were able to look in the windows and see most everything that the tour would provide.

It was neat to see something that has been so close, but I've never really noticed until recently. We plan to visit Falling Water and Kentuck Knob this summer.

If you are a fan of Wright's work, I suggest you check this out!

Visited April 2012
oxford, UK
12 attraction reviews
“Woodlawn in restoro, Pope-Leighey excellent”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

You need a car to get here, although it is only about 5 miles from George Washington's house at Mount Vernon,which is well served by the 101 bus. The smallish Woodlawn House was being renovated, so we couldn't go in, the gardens were uncared for and there was nothing to see there, so if you want to see Woodlawn, check before you go. However, if you are interested in Frank Lloyd Wright and his Pope-Leighey house, that was an hour's excellent tour. It is a small house but the guide gave so much information on the architect and how he had done things and how he clashed with his clients all the time, it was very informative and interesting indeed. A good precursor to going to see Fallingwater. And the tour groups were very small, unlike Fallingwater.

Visited April 2012