“Great italian” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Tempo Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #17 of 643 restaurants in Alexandria
Cuisines: American
Good for: Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: North Gordon
Transit: Nearest Metro Station: King Street Metro is 2.2 miles away within walking distance if you are in good shape otherwise take a cab.
Description: Nestled in the West End, Tempo Restaurant is one of Alexandria's best-kept secrets. This elegant, but unpretentious, neighborhood restaurant is where the locals dine. Tempo's menu displays a blend of northern Italian and French cuisine, featuring fresh seafood.
Kitsap County, WA
“Great italian”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

I attended a wedding party dinner at Tempo. It takes some skill to serve a large group (about 15) with a varied menu, but Tempo managed it spectacularly. There is a small private room off the main dining room that was great for our group. We were offered a choice of 6 entrees and every one was terrific and arrived hot and simultaneously. I had the salmon and it was great. I am from the Pacific NW and am particular about my salmon, so I was really pleased with my moist, flavorful, perfectly cooked offering. We chose from a large offering of desserts (8 choices) and again, every single one was great. I'd love to return again to order from the full menu.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

84% Recommend
Alexandria, Virginia
“Excellent Modern Italian”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

A really nice modern Italian place on Duke Street. Lovely decor and good service and to be found here.

Visited May 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

Wanted to go somewhere close to home, and had a choice of chains or known mediocre...discovered Tempo mostly by accident, and almost didn't go because it seemed so out of place for its surroundings. The staff made us feel VERY welcome, the menu was surprisingly well-priced, the food was amazing (I recommend the scallops) and the atmosphere truly "elegant but not pretentious" as they say on their website. Very nice for a date night - a great place to go for a little more refined experience without feeling gauche (I wore jeans) - or to take your mother or a visiting VIP. I will go back as often as possible!

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Seattle, Washington
“On a recent visit to Virginia”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

We were in Springfield/Alexandria recently to celebrate my Mom's birthday. After a couple of days, she suggested that we take lunch at Tempo. We arrived on a beautiful sunny afternoon
and were nicely greeted by the Maitre De and seated right away into one of two rooms, at a sunny spot, with linens and fresh flowers. Our order was taken as soon as we were ready to order. We were all happy with our choices and everything was fresh and of good color. The
wait staff was never far from reach for a refill of iced tea or coffee. The only negative I could mention was that their fresh green salad only came with one dressing, none other was offered.

In closing, I would warn you not to judge this establishment by the cover, the building is old, while not particularly exceptional nor objectionable. Give them a try, it is worth it.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Shenandoah Valley, VA
“Great little neighborhood place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

My Italian friend raved about Tempo for years before I finally got to try it. He's right of course as are all the good reviews here. Atmosphere is cozy, contemporary, comfortable, and elegant all at one time. Service is good to excellent. Food never disappoints. We've tried many things and not one has been less than very good. Most dishes hover around the $20 range and house wine was $8 a glass. Deserts, while on the expensive side, are indeed extensive and wonderful so save room! Try it and enjoy!

• Visited March 2013