“Ruined Mother's Day” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 38 attractions in Alexandria
Type: Museums
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: A Georgian Palladian manor house built in 1753 by merchant and city founder John Carlyle. Here, five royal governors and General Braddock met to discuss funding of the French and Indian War. Daily tours, youth programs, special events, exhibits and lectures offer visitors a chance to experience eighteenth century life through the eyes of one man and his family as he made the journey from English citizen to American patriot. The story of Carlyle House parallels the early history of Alexandria, colonial Virginia, and America and is brought to life through costumed interpreters, guides and fun family programs. Tues.-Sat. 10 a.m.-4 p.m.; Sun. noon-4 p.m. (tours on the hour and half hour, last tour at 4).
Alexandria, Virginia, United States
“Ruined Mother's Day”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

I made reservations for their Mother's Day afternoon tea and they cancelled without notice. This was a very special Mother's Day for me considering I am getting married and moving to Wisconsin and will not be close to my mother anymore. The only explaination I was given was "I only work here once a month, I don't know what happened". NEVER trust this place for any special events, because they will find a way to ruin it. I called to confirm my reservations on Mother's Day morning at which time I was told there was nothing they could do. Terrible customer service. I have worked in catering and the establishments I have worked at would have NEVER been so unprofessional! We made it a point to be accommodating!!

Visited May 2013

Jackson, NJ
7 attraction reviews
“A beautifully restored home in a lovely little city...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

The Carlyle House is a lovely restored home dating back to Alexandria's early days. This house is worth seeing. Beautifully reconstructed, and well managed, this is a home worth visiting. The tour is long enough but not too long, the movie gives enough detail to enable one to appreciate the history of the home and the docents know enough to be able to handle all but the most arcane questions. It is a lovely addition to any visit to Alexandria. And don't forget to walk through the garden behind the house!

Visited September 2012
New Zealand
37 attraction reviews
“First rate”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

Took the guided tour. We were pressed for time but they accommodated us with a shortened tour. Did not see the video but they gave us a potted version of the family history. Excellent historian guide who brought it all alive. Highly recommended.

Lake Grove, New York
17 attraction reviews
“Step back in time...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

My friend and I visited The Carlyle House last week and it was so lovely! Our guide, Shelley was very kind and knowledgeable. She took us through the home and shared so many interesting facts. This was truly the highlight of my visit to Alexandria! I can't wait to come back again someday with my entire family.

Palmetto, Florida
6 attraction reviews
“We were lucky enough to go on Braddock Day.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

All people there that fateful day were wonderfully represented by locals in period costume and stayed in character the whole time. They interacted with the visitors, answered questions and shared what they were doing and who they were. The Generals were eating period food and happy to explain the dishes.,